What's new
What's new

Old Wooden Machinist Tool Chests, here’s help to Identify and Date.

toolboxted

Aluminum
The below 6 year old site will help you identify and date most all of the pre-1960 ones, including the Old Styles, that were made in the USA. Give it a try and post any questions or comments you may have about your project here on this thread.
I’ll be checking here almost daily and all of us can help with replies to your post…..Ted

pre-1960's Wooden Machinist Chest Guide

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’ve been wondering about your old hand-me-down machinist tool chest, go ahead and post some pictures with some history and I’ll try to assist in identifying and dating it……Ted

Hey guys, maybe this will help with manufacturing date ranges.
Based on my historical research, here’s some basic guidelines you can follow to give you a quick date range between 1940 and 1960 that your Gerstner machinist tool chest was manufactured.
1 – Pull out the bottom drawer. If there isn’t a Gerstner Stencil stamped on the inside of the very bottom board, it was manufactured in 1940 or earlier. If it has the Stencil and the top line “Built by” is arched up at its center and the bottom line “Dayton Ohio” is arched down at its center, its date is 1940 to 1959. If both of these lines are straight, then the date is 1960 or later.
2 – When you open the lid and it’s stopped by a chain, its date is 1942 or earlier. If it’s stopped by the hinges, then 1943 or later.
3 – If your front panel has the rectangular shaped radius relief, then it’s 1954 or earlier. If it has the flat relieved area, then it’s 1954 or later. (#3 doesn’t apply to leatherette covered chests)
Go to ‘The’ Guide, Pg 10b, for more definitive dating. Good luck…..Ted

GERSTNER’S MANUFACTURING START DATE CHANGE

I’ve recently changed Gerstner’s manufacturing start date in ‘The’ Guide from 1906 to 1908. A classified ad in the Dayton Daily News was the earliest historical record I could find for them actually manufacturing machinist tool cases. I checked with Gerstner, but they didn’t provide any earlier record. This change only effected the Style #15 & #18 cases…..Ted

'The' Guide for Wooden Machinist Tool Chests, pre-1960

Attachments

• 1908 July 14 Dayton Daily News adv..jpg
    1908 July 14 Dayton Daily News adv..jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 59
Hammacher Schlemmer & Co. Machinist Tool Case Update
This is an advanced notice for Practical Machinist folks that I’ve been doing more research and study on HS&Co.’s cases. I still have not been able to determine what company actually manufactured their cases, we know that HS&Co. did not. However, I have found that that unknown company also made 3/2, 5/4 (same outside dimensions as HS&Co. 5/3), 5/5 and 6/4 drawer versions of the case. H.S.&Co. never offered these. They only offered the 5/3 drawer case with these manufacturing differences – Finger jointed drawer corners; The fronts of the drawers are double board thick; Both companies used Dove-tail case joints. However, HS&Co.’s can be seen penetrating thru the top surface of the case joints.
I have realized that in 1907 HS&Co.’s felt in the drawer bottoms and sides, was sprayed on, not a fabric. In 1915 and later they changed to a fabric on the bottom only, no felt on the drawer sides. Also in 1915 they offered a 20” wide version of the same 15 5/8” wide case.
‘The’ Guide will be updated in the future……..Ted

1907 Modern Machinery magazine
A Machinist's Portable Tool Case
The tool case, shown in the illustration, is made of kiln-dried solid (not veneered) oak, which will neither warp nor twist. The case is carefully and handsomely polished and finished, the corners being dovetailed and the workmanship being of the best. A comfortable leather handle is attached for convenience in carrying.
The case is 15 5/8 inches long, 8 inches deep and 10 3/4 inches high. The eight drawers are of various lengths and heights, as shown in the view. The weight of the case is 16 lbs. The drawers are so arranged that every available inch of space can be utilized. The tools can be distributed so that they can easily be picked out without handling over a number of other tools. This feature makes it an invaluable asset to the machinist.
The tool case is manufactured by the Hammacher Schlemmer & Co. A new circular, No. 723, will soon be issued by the company and will be sent upon request to anyone who is interested in portable tool cases.
1907 HS&Co. illistration.jpg

Attachments

• Terry's email 1.jpg
    Terry's email 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 292
Hi Ted. can you identify this chest? Is this a Lufkin? I removed the felt and it was marked at 1936.
IMG_6053.jpg
IMG_6058.jpg
IMG_6059.jpg
IMG_6060.jpg
IMG_6895.jpg

Thanks much garskoci for asking and posting the pictures. No, it's not a Lufkin.
Your chest has all of the features of being distributed by National Tool & Chest Co., STAR, Chicago, IL. It’s a 5/2 drawer, machinist tool chest, which was actually manufactured by Schartow Iron Products Co., SIPCO, Racine, WI. The 1936 makes me wonder if the manufacturing dates I’ve established for SIPCO (1938) and STAR (1940) may be off by 2 and 4 years. Because 1936 had been written ‘under’ the felt, let’s say that yours was manufactured in 1936. Would you also post pictures of the #’s hand written on the backs of the drawers?
There’s very little literature published on either company. Should any of you readers have some old 1930’s hardware or machinist tool company catalogs, I’d appreciate your taking a quick look to see if the SIPCO or STAR machinist tool chests were offered and letting us know the catalog name and date.

Thanks…..Ted

Thanks much garskoci for asking and posting the pictures. No, it's not a Lufkin.
Your chest has all of the features of being distributed by National Tool & Chest Co., STAR, Chicago, IL. It’s a 5/2 drawer, machinist tool chest, which was actually manufactured by Schartow Iron Products Co., SIPCO, Racine, WI. The 1936 makes me wonder if the manufacturing dates I’ve established for SIPCO (1938) and STAR (1940) may be off by 2 and 4 years. Because 1936 had been written ‘under’ the felt, let’s say that yours was manufactured in 1936. Would you also post pictures of the #’s hand written on the backs of the drawers?
There’s very little literature published on either company. Should any of you readers have some old 1930’s hardware or machinist tool company catalogs, I’d appreciate your taking a quick look to see if the SIPCO or STAR machinist tool chests were offered and letting us know the catalog name and date.

Thanks…..Ted

Hi Ted. thank you so much for replying and the details. I have added more pictures. There are two more date markings. One is a "1936" stamping on the right-hand edge of the front cover as I'm facing the chest. The other is on the bottom. (see pic's) All rails are metal. Everything is held together by split-rivets. That includes the rails, hardware and pulls. The pulls are going top make life difficult. My original intention was to clean up the finish and re-felt, so I could use it. Once I started into it, the box came apart in pieces. It was clearly dropped at some point. After removing the ten million nails, I can see that the back and bottom were in multiple pieces. Mainly at the glue joints, which is good. If you have any other questions or would like more picture, feel free to ask. The history on the wooden chests is amazing, especially when looking into other manufacturers than Gerstner. Thank you for taking the time, Ted.
IMG_6913.jpg
IMG_6914.jpg
IMG_6915.jpg
IMG_6916.jpg
IMG_6917.jpg

Don't want to pirate the OP thread but does anyone know where I can buy cheap look alike? Let me explain why. I do have a Gerstner 9 draw box. Filled it up with mostly Starrett measuring tools. I do have for example all the Starrett tap wrenches but they are in my Kennedy Box. I do have a set to 7" of the 226 series and 238/239 to 6" along with 436 to 12". Larger interchangeable anvil mics to 26" but they are in Starrett wooden boxes. Plus a set of 486 blade mics to 6". Actually it would be easier to list what I don't have in the Starrett Catalog. In a short time my Gerstner was full! Needing more space I got some online Catalog that had Green Mountain 11 draw (I think) 26" long Oak Tool box so I ordered one plus 2 bases. Wasn't long and they were full and Green Mountain no longer available so I got 2 more Grizzly 11 draw 26" long however at the time they didn't have the base to fit so I got one to go under my Gerstner. One Gizzly now has no base. Grizzly now is also no longer available, they were cheap, look great but not good. Anyone wanting to know why just ask. Needless to say all are filled and I need more space. I can't find a base so I think I can place the one Grizzly on another 26" long tool box that I modify by removing the top but I can't find a cheap 26" X 11" Oak Tool box! Simply put I have 4 tool boxes full and don't want to put money in a quality high end box, I'm retired and only one in my shop so the tool boxes are not locked and do nothing more than provide High end tool storage. Along with the Mics in the boxes I have a number of 1, 2 and 3" mics in the shop, probably a set at each machine. and only go to the tool box when I need something not normally used.

Beings that 1936 is in multiple locations, we can’t use that as a date. 1936 was the production assembly number that various components were assigned, because of fitting requirements.
The earliest date of manufacture would be 1938. NT&C stopped distribution in 1955.
Glad we could help and thanks for your cooperation……..Ted

Beings that 1936 is in multiple locations, we can’t use that as a date. 1936 was the production assembly number that various components were assigned, because of fitting requirements.
The earliest date of manufacture would be 1938. NT&C stopped distribution in 1955.
Glad we could help and thanks for your cooperation……..Ted

Thanks for all the info, Ted.

Roll top chest

Hello Ted,

I will take you up on your offer to help identify a tool chest I purchased at a MWTC meet about 30 years ago. The tool chest is very clean and without damage. The chest measures 15 inches wide, 9 inches deep and 17 inches tall. I tried to research the chest but could not find anything in any of the searches. Thanks and hoping to get an identification of the chest. I might have tried once on this site to ask for help to identify this chest, but can't remember if I did or not.

Thanks, George

006 (2).jpg003 (8).jpg

Attachments

• 003 (8).jpg
    003 (8).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 232
Hey George, that is a beautiful roll-top case. I'm sorry though, I've never seen one before and don't have any idea who may have manufactured it. Good luck......Ted

Unknown "Old-Style" chest

Hello Ted,

I would love to get your input on an old style chest that I recently picked up. The only history I have on it is it was purchased at auction from a closed watch repair shop approximately 25 years ago. Unfortunately it has been refinished and the lock does not appear to be original. I did find a number stamped into the lip of the wood near the lock, which I assume is the original key code.
The construction appears to be solid, although repairs made to one of the drawers is pretty shoddy in my opinion. The drawer pull hardware and hinges appear to be original and pretty high quality. I scanned "The" Guide linked above and did not see any drawer pulls that seemed to match what is on this chest. The handles on the side are also high quality, and are designed so that they stop in the perpendicular position thereby preventing you from smashing your knuckles with the weight of the thing.
Overall measurements are 20.5" W x 13.75" D x 13" T. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to provide any additional details you may need.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

An allen key now serves to hold the front drop panel in position when closed, it fits in a hole in the lip to the left of the lock plate:
attachment.php

Lid held by chain on left side. Not brass but does appear to be original:
attachment.php

Wood rail style drawer slides:
attachment.php

Underside of drawer shows rough-hewn wood slat style construction:
attachment.php

Somewhat shoddy old repair to back side of one drawer:
attachment.php

Recessed brass pull rings on drawers:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cylinder lock appears to not be original:
attachment.php

Number stamped into lip to the right of the lock plate:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Realistically I don't expect to be able to pin down the maker of this chest, but perhaps you can advise of it's approximate age? Given it was originally used in a watch repair shop I recognize that a machinist forum may not be the ideal place to inquire, but honestly this thread and "The" guide are the best resources I have located so far on the web. If you have ideas on other sources for me to check out please let me know. Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:
Hello Ash,
I really think that your chest was homemade. It has many construction features that you would not find on a professionally manufactured chest. Here are 2 of the examples - The front, removeable, panel is made out of one board without having vertical grain boards at each end, which keeps it from splitting along its grain. The drawer face board side joints appear to be at 45 degrees, instead of the standard, square, single lock joints.
I agree that the cylinder lock and lock plate have been replaced. I’m not sure what the embossed 5 numbers mean. Maybe a key number, but normally they have some letters included.
As for the possible age of it, I’d say the design would fit in between the old style and the portables. It has features from both eras. Therefore, it could be in the 1910’s to 1920’s.
Sorry, but I don’t know of any better sources for researching your chest.
You have a good one……Ted

Thank you Ted, I appreciate your insights. It does not surprise me to hear that it may be homemade, and actually makes sense that I haven't been able to locate any quite like it. Maybe the number was of some significance to the maker, unfortunately lost to time.
I wish there was a resource like this for spool cabinets, as I have a penchant for those as well! Thanks again, and cheers!

I'm not any sort of wooden chest aficionado.

Nice chest, especially the side handles.
Interesting choice of drawer pulls.
Maybe made by a local cabinetmaker who was approached by a resident of his town with a commission.
Sadly the identity is lost to the sands of time and apathy of the masses.

I'm not any sort of wooden chest aficionado.

Nice chest, especially the side handles.
Interesting choice of drawer pulls.
Maybe made by a local cabinetmaker who was approached by a resident of his town with a commission.
Sadly the identity is lost to the sands of time and apathy of the masses.

a cabinet maker based on the age, would have used joinery, not a miter. if they did use a miter, they would have put a key or spline in the miter to keep it together.

I agree it looks home made, but is a well made box.

A cabinetmaker might very well have used a joint that looked like that. But hidden inside it would be a dovetail...... "hidden dovetail" is one term I have heard for it. Also "secret mitre dovetail" as in the link

However, I see screws holding some of them, so either is was not a "hidden dovetail" or else it was, but abuse broke it out later.

This is a link that is a preview, but does show the joint.

"The Secret Mitre Dovetail" with David Charlesworth - Preview - YouTube

Back