What's new
What's new

Older lathe

Unclejimbo

Plastic
I have the opportunity to acquire a willard machine and tool company lathe only issue is it's missing the threading gear. Just wondering what solutions there are for that. This would be a lathe to clean up fix and learn on.

You should probably have a better thread title that is more specific and also include a lot more detail and at least a couple pictures

Actually find out Diametral Pitch (DP) for another gear that would have worked with that one and buy, make or find one of the right tooth count. The right tooth count usually requires some figuring out - or maybe just looking at charts on lathe

Measure O.D.
Count teeth, add two to that count
Divide tooth count by the OD

Example:

2.125" O.D.
32 teeth
34 divided by 2.125 = 16 DP

I have an ancient Williard brochure / catalog - let us know a little more about yours size wise (swing, etc) and maybe I can do some scanning. In that are prices - dated 28 January 1920. (gee - almost 100 years old) Their most expensive lathe was $1030.00 - or say three new Fords of the day.

This is the first Williard in my 15 1/2 years here - unless I am forgetting:D

Real handy generic old lathe info here if needed

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

ph

Show us pics of the end of the lathe, specs of any existing end gears that you have (OD, tooth count, face width, bore, etc), and the pitch of the leadscrew. We can come up with a complete replacement for the missing bits.

allan

Back