What's new
What's new

Older machinery for sale, Albany NY

esbutler

Aluminum
A local concern has some older equipment for sale. I snapped some photos on the way through. Posting with owners knowledge in the interest of keeping this stuff from the scrapper. All believed to be in good working order. I believe all are three phase. They are taking offers. If there is any interest, PM me and I will get provide their contact info.

Warner & Swasey No.5 Turret Lathe

20191108_120951.jpg 20191108_121000.jpg

South Bend lathe. I didn't get specs or model. Probably swings 12-14 inches, 36+ inches between centers (?).

20191108_121649.jpg

Armstrong-Blum Marvel Metal Saw No.8

20191108_121749.jpg 20191108_121757.jpg

That's a older model South Bend lathe with the single lever QCGB. Probably a 14-1/2" or 16" swing. The Marvel band saw might be a keeper. Wish I was closer or it was closer to me. Dad always hated Marvel band saws, never said really why. Of course, he used to do repairs on them back in the 1960's-1970's.

Yeah, hate to see them go to the scrapper!

Ken

Dad always hated Marvel band saws, never said really why. Of course, he used to do repairs on them back in the 1960's-1970's.

Yeah, hate to see them go to the scrapper!

Ken
Maybe because every one I have come across, at one time or another, had the gut's pulled out the back, waiting on parts ?

Let it get melted down, it might come back as a "MetalMizer":
Vertical Bandsaws | Metal Mizer Vertical Bandsaws & Blades

At least they got rid of the long, long splined shaft, and made the whole thing more manageable by making it shorter....:nutter:

Not to be contrary but I've worked at two shops that had a Marvel in well used but working condition. I always liked them for versatility in plate work, angular cuts, and just as a stock cutter. Auto shut off and adjustable feed too so I didn't have to stand there leaning on the work. A vertical Grob is nice for smaller/thinner work but I'd use the Marvel any other time. Then again, I never had to do anything to them other than change blades/guides so perhaps I'd feel differently about them if repair was needed.

Not to be contrary but I've worked at two shops that had a Marvel in well used but working condition. I always liked them for versatility in plate work, angular cuts, and just as a stock cutter. Auto shut off and adjustable feed too so I didn't have to stand there leaning on the work. A vertical Grob is nice for smaller/thinner work but I'd use the Marvel any other time. Then again, I never had to do anything to them other than change blades/guides so perhaps I'd feel differently about them if repair was needed.

There are other brands of the sliding vertical out there, much better designs.
Doo the same thing, some even better, but with less floor space, better reliability.

Like "bobcat" of the skid loader world.

One of the projects at A. Hardiman Machine fifty odd years ago was to get cast and machined a new lower band wheel - which ls also a bevel gear. I guess the owner thought he was saving money :D

At least I got to learn a little about making a bevel gear that did the job - and I was also the pattern maker for the casting

The little 60 X 60 shop still stands (at least when the photo was taken) - though I see the acreage is up for sale

Google Maps

Looks like a pretty early version of the model 8 Marvel, the wheel guards are still castings. I have one like that in the shop, mine looks like it is in a lot worse shape though (but still works). These are all still keepers from the scrounger within me. Hope they can be saved.

There are other brands of the sliding vertical out there, much better designs.
Doo the same thing, some even better, but with less floor space, better reliability.

Like "bobcat" of the skid loader world.

-Other brands? Care to be a name dropper? I've not run into a similar design after 42 years in machine shops. Maybe I need to get out more.

-Other brands? Care to be a name dropper? I've not run into a similar design after 42 years in machine shops. Maybe I need to get out more.

I did in post #3, even took the time to provide a linky...:toetap:

DoAll and others also make/brand/sell similar.

I did in post #3, even took the time to provide a linky...:toetap:

DoAll and others also make/brand/sell similar.

-Ok you DID name one and I didn't read all of your reply. You also provided a link and I guess I failed to notice that too....

I'm not doing very well on this thread am I? :D

I worked for DoAll (Des Plaines) in the late 70's and don't recall them having one at that time in the shop.

Must be the side shields on my safety glasses.

Back