What's new
What's new

Older Round ram 1/2 HP bridgeport disassembly help

Froneck

Titanium
I have an old 1/2 HP BP has 2MT collet. A Friend would like to have it so I decided to disassemble the head and check it all out. Everything is removed except the spindle and the gear assembly. I remover the handle with the shaft but not sure how the spindle up/down gear is removed. The recoil spring is still attached and I can't seem to unhook it. Anyone know what I have to do to get it out?

I have an old 1/2 HP BP has 2MT collet. A Friend would like to have it so I decided to disassemble the head and check it all out. Everything is removed except the spindle and the gear assembly. I remover the handle with the shaft but not sure how the spindle up/down gear is removed. The recoil spring is still attached and I can't seem to unhook it. Anyone know what I have to do to get it out?

It's only a round-ram. More for play and teasing around with than work as a useful mill. Kinda like a "trophy wife" or a mistress with a nice dress, curvaceous ass, and attractive 'Big Girl" Tee-slot cleavage as make her look better than she performs.

Just put it TF back together and let the new owner who is about to be married to it sort it out. Why get ahead of the poor soul on his wedding night?

In what manner was it not broken that made you decide to break it, anyway?

:D

The BP has been sitting around for years in my shop, I picked it up at auction and never used it. Might be a light duty mill, a very good drill press plus much better than one of those home shop machines that combine milling machine with a lathe that he is using now. He not a machinist just a hobbyist plus will do better work than one of those mill/drills not to mention a milling attachment for a South Bend lathe.
Yes the round ram is a pain in the butt but once trammed it will stay especially on the small 1/2HP head with 2MT collet. Besides 99% of his milling will be within the jaws of a 6" vise.

Nothing wrong with a round ram BP provided it's used within it's limits. It's a 1/2hp mill, no more or less.

I've never had my M-head as far apart as you're describing. From what I understand in the schematics, you'll need to take care of the clock spring first. I seem to remember reading about needing a tool that will hold it in place for removal. After that you can take off the flanges and collars on either side of the head, then the pinion shaft will go out the right side.

I think once the pinion is out, the only thing keeping the spindle sleeve from pulling out would be the depth stop on the front of the head.

The BP has been sitting around for years in my shop, I picked it up at auction and never used it. Might be a light duty mill, a very good drill press plus much better than one of those home shop machines that combine milling machine with a lathe that he is using now. He not a machinist just a hobbyist plus will do better work than one of those mill/drills not to mention a milling attachment for a South Bend lathe.
Yes the round ram is a pain in the butt but once trammed it will stay especially on the small 1/2HP head with 2MT collet. Besides 99% of his milling will be within the jaws of a 6" vise.

Yah but.. I wasn't kidding about the "wedding night" effect.

AS "previously" a non-machinist, he will take pride and enjoyment out of getting to know it, asking for guidance, sorting stuff out himself that you/we/I - off the back of longer years - have to admit has become largely "just work" and even a distraction.

He has more time, greater interest and "fresh" motivation, even if not a young person.
"Ownership" thing. transfer it to him WITH the mill. Unless YOU want to be forever-"married to it" as the last guy who "worked on it".

To the more experienced hands, a round ram is only a rear-view-mirror nuisance.
We needed better mills? We went and GOT better mills.

To he who had NOTHING? A Godsend to be appreciated and used with care. Let him learn and grow WITH that.

I was able to figure out how every thing is removed. Recoil spring is out, hand feed gear removed and quilt feed gear removed. Now I have to remove the spindle pulley assembly. Then it goes to my friend so he can clean and paint the casings. Then if he wants he can work with me to assemble it if not I'll complete the task.

I was able to figure out how every thing is removed. Recoil spring is out, hand feed gear removed and quilt feed gear removed. Now I have to remove the spindle pulley assembly. Then it goes to my friend so he can clean and paint the casings. Then if he wants he can work with me to assemble it if not I'll complete the task.

That's better. Him having hands-on.

I mean.. what if you don't live forever, after all?

:D

As I mentioned I will give him the opportunity to coach him or assist me reassemble the BP, however if he don't I will do it myself. As for me I don't want to dump something on a friend that might not be good, taking it apart I will see how it was used, how much and if it was abused and failure waiting to happen. As it is it seems to have been lightly used. On the other hand not everyone is interested in the mechanical/electrical functions that make a machine do what it's intended function is. I have seen many here purchase antique machinery some of which were well used yet thru their skill and knowledge were able to return the machine to new condition, I will say I was quite impressed with their work!!! However there are quite a few here that simply want a machine that functions as it should, do not mind the extra attention and work to use the older machines as long as they accurately cut as they are supposed to.
The round ram BP's may be antique and not as easy to us as the improved versions but they were state of the art at the time and preformed so well they helped BP become a machine tool maker's product to become high in demand.

As an electronics guy, I rebuilt my own M head with little issue. Heather has a write up that explains in crayon eater exactly how to disassemble and reassemble an M head... I used that to get mine apart and back together.

I don't use mine for anything heavy, mostly wood. But it isnt even on a round ram.

Jon

Thanks Jon. I did look in crayon eater but couldn't find the video. Quite honestly I'm not familiar with crayon eater and this was my first visit there. On the other hand I did manage to completely disassemble the head. I'll try crayon eater again to see if there is anything I should know before re-assembling the head.

crayon eater is what the lesser branches call Marines, since apparently we are idiots. Lol

If you have any questions about the assembly, feel free to call and ask for Heather. She is our M head expert. 800-285-5271

Jon

Back