What's new
What's new

Opinions solicited, make and value of camelback drill...

Salem Straub

Cast Iron
A friend reached out to see if I could recommend a value for a big old camelback drill press that remains in a building of an estate. Also asked if I'd be interested. Well, I already have a monster camelback drill, but I do love them and I could perhaps see having two. I have an idea of what I'd offer for it, but I'd rather find him some honest recommendations outside of my opinion, from some knowledgable folks (here) and be able to point him to this thread. So, I'd be grateful if any of you fellow machinery guys would care to chime in with your idea of a fair price range, given size and condition of the machine as best we can see from these few pics.

Also I've not seen one exactly like this, in the frame castings. He says it's around 8 ft tall, and from the pics it has power feed, back gears, and a traveling head. Any idea of who may have made this one? Haven't seen in person, and the pics don't show any marks on the castings. I'd estimate a swing of 24" to 32" based on pics, but what do you think?

TuQIOjI.jpg

4JhYo5m.jpg

7RcwD6E.jpg

Thanks in advance!

A lot would depend on the condition of the spindle and bearings. Rust looks kind of bad on the table, probably similar on most other bare metal surfaces. What stats on the motor? HP, voltage, 1 or 3 phase?
Spindle in good shape and all moving parts move freely $200-$300, large selection of taper shank bits and a decent jacobs chuck add some $. Power feed is the main attraction for me, that would have to be working.
If moving parts frozen with rust, and bad spindle bearings would bring it closer to scrap value, probably around $50 presently, guessing it weighs no more than 1000 lbs.
Is there a way to lift it to load on a trailer?
I have seen several on nearby CL over the years and they sit on there a while if much more than $300, I almost bought one that has OSHA belt guards all around it, I think he wanted $500, but didnt, it went to scrap when the property sold.

Mine has a rectangular table about the same size of the rectangle at the floor in the photo. And the double gear so to move the lever it goes to reverse. Anyone know about that? I will have to look it over for markings.
May be a J Barnes (?)but I don't see mine in any of the photos on the net..

I paid $25 for it needing a couple of teeth but that fixed yeas ago.
Yes I was thinking a couple hundred or so if I decide to sell it.

Locally to me, value is zero. Costs more than scrap value to move and much newer working condition drill presses are cheap.

A collector may offer a few bucks but I doubt anyone who actually wants to drill holes (and that’s kinda the point) would pony up cash.

Sorry if I come across as harsh.

L7

i used one in a shop when i was a apprentice it was a Denbigh it had a better handle setup then that one, was easy to use and drilled holes well.
It had 3 handles about the pivot and you moved them to the right to engage the feed, real handy design.

It was used often in the shop to make money.
I think the one pictured is american in deign don't know brand.
It won't be worth much as its in poor condition but putting a lot of work into it...it may turn around ok to be useful. But i don't like the handle design on it.

so depends on how to feel about doing the work..
Yeah new stuff is around but will it be around in 50 years still in working condition...is a question to ask.
Stay away from chinese rubbish.

Way cool machine. That unit unstuck and nothing serious broken, would easily bring 5 hundred bucks here. More if somewhat cleaned up and under power. I have 2 neighbors with farm shops who are presently looking for something decent for larger holes. But for the moment they come over to have holes made with my Royersford which I don't mind as it is a couple of bucks to invest in more tooling!:D

...What stats on the motor? HP, voltage, 1 or 3 phase?... Is there a way to lift it to load on a trailer?
There may not be a motor included. Don't see one in the pic, and my friend thinks there may not be one. I have some motors... probably I'd put a 3 hp 3 phase on it.
As far as lifting, we'd be lucky probably if a tractor with loader was available... but I think it more likely to have to lay it down carefully onto my trailer, drag it back to the shop and stand it back up again.

A 20" drill of this style usually weighs 1000-1200. This one is probably closer to 2000.

I think you're right. My 37" Gould Eberhardt upright drill weighed probably around 3000 lbs. It was heavier by far than I expected. I could see this weighing up to a ton, hard to say without being right there though.

I paid $500 for that one, with a running 5hp motor, in running but slightly rough shape. It was a fair price considering the amazing size and coolness of the beast, and the fact that getting it running well didn't take much...

My Leland Gifford is not quite in the same category as the one you posted but I paid $250 for it. I would have paid double that *after* I got it home and used it a few times, but I wouldn't even have driven down the road to look at it at that price. The sliding head is unbelievably useful and I haven't even thought of going back to my other DPs. It looks like the one you've posted has a driven head but if it can also be quickly positioned it would be similar.

I'm in agreement with others that $200-$300 is typical with $500 being around the top and only exceeded by those of us (like me) that decide they want something and will pay what is asked. As for the one in question, if I needed that extra capability I would easily pay $500 for it. Since I don't need that and it isn't close to me... I'm breathing a sigh of relief because if I did go see it in person there's no telling how much I'd actually pay for it. :drool5:

K6yXTey.jpg

Locally to me, value is zero. Costs more than scrap value to move and much newer working condition drill presses are cheap.

A collector may offer a few bucks but I doubt anyone who actually wants to drill holes (and that’s kinda the point) would pony up cash.

Sorry if I come across as harsh.

L7

Costs more to move? What's your daily driver? Datsun B210?

Pickup truck, rent or borrow, engine crane, remove top of drill where it meet the dovetail of the sliding head, lay column and base on their side, unbolt base/column, load in three or four pieces.

About 2012 a 20" WF & J Barnes went to the Canadian Maritime with new owner Sampson of the board. I think he paid me $100.

I paid $75 for a Royersford Excelsior 21" back in 1980. Scrapped in 1981 (it was fully restored by then - a heartbreaker forced upon me by an employer change/change of locale) and I realized $4.75 in scrap value. Some parts went to a respondent here to complete his 21 Excelsior.

2014 I paid $300 for a Pratt & Whitney No. 3 which is about 20" and stands 6' tall. Design from before 1876. One of the few times I got a "put one over on him" sort of feeling about the transaction.

Brett Rochette has the No. 1 size which has been discussed here. Pratt & Whitney No. 1 Drill Press

Photobucket of his in restore mode. Interesting in that P&W apparently made this item in "graduated" sizes.

PWdrill_primer.jpg

Joe in NH

RCPDesigns, that's a really cool one! Nice score there.

Thanks a lot for all the great input guys, this will be a good reference to steer my friend to as far as value. I try to shoot straight with people but it's nice to be able to ask knowledgeable third parties for perspective if I have any interest in the item.

Lots of love for these drills here! I''m not at all surprised, not only are they iconic, but for pushing big holes through they are still super handy. I sold my 20" VS Jet drill press to get my big camelback, that was an easy decision...

Great discussion, and thanks for the cool pics. Cheers!

Back