What's new
What's new

Orst Bros Chicago Collets

I'dG84that

Plastic
I ended up with some collets stamped "Orst Bros. Chicago C4" that appear to be standard 4C collets. Is anyone familiar with Orost Bros. or their history?
61630401746__4194D71B-7F0E-4A62-88D1-7A5091F61A4B.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's Porst Bros. I've had some of their collets in the past, but don't know anything about the company.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Andy would be correct--Porst Bros. I have quite a few in my 4C set with some Hardinge collets mixed in. I believe they date from the 1950's and came with my Sheldon lathe which I've owned for over 30 years. In my opinion they are of high quality. Here is a small amount of info from an earlier PM thread.

Tom B.

I have always suspected at least one of the Porst Brothers might have worked at Hardinge Brothers and started their own company around 1930 when the Hardinge collet and machine tool operation was moved from Chicago to Elmira, NY. Porst made more than collets, including tooling or parts of tooling for Hardinge machines.

Proof of my suspicion is in a 1924/1927 patent with Frederick Porst inventor of a gear pump and assigned to Hardinge Brothers.
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4f/6f/1b/54d4fee3b82561/US1633793.pdf

Larry

I'm pretty sure that's Porst Bros. I've had some of their collets in the past, but don't know anything about the company.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It looks like you're correct! The marking matches other Porst collets I was able to find images of. Oddly though, none of the half dozen collets I have show any indication that the "P" was ever stamped on them. Thank you for your help.

Back