What's new
What's new

OT - 3 Steamers 1 very old truck

cncFireman

Hot Rolled
Just a few projects not that I needed anymore. First is a small early vertical engine I picked up early this year. Second pair is of two E. H. WACHS engines. They need restoration and put back together. The donated by Bill Boeing is most likely false. Like the seller told me likely B.S. and I agreed with him. I may not keep these who knows. Third is my latest acquirement. A 1916 Federal 1 1/2 Ton truck. Complete but again in need of serious restoration. It didn't even roll when it arrived. I had to rent a lift to get it off the transport companys trailer. I have since made it a rolling truck again and it now steers after some penetrating oil and some muscle workout.

Attachments

• _20170331_183819_zpspczpugao.jpg
    _20170331_183819_zpspczpugao.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 537
  • DSC_0779.jpg
    DSC_0779.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 535
  • DSC_0781.jpg
    DSC_0781.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC_0782.jpg
    DSC_0782.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC_0783.jpg
    DSC_0783.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 489
cncFireman:

You got a nice load of steam engines, along with the old Federal Truck. The engine with the Stephenson's Link Motion was likely a small launch engine, and the curved spoke flywheel is a later addition. It does not look original to the engine.

Wachs is still very much in business. They specialize in orbital type pipe cutting and bevelling machines and also make a line of portable hydraulic drives for operating large valves and sluice gates. Wachs acknowledges their past history of building small steam engines, and may have some records on the two engine you got.
They appear to have been used for some kind of auxiliary drive, such as a blower or circulator pump (on a smaller steam vessel, to circulate water from overboard thru the condenser). In fact, the last Wachs engine in active service was in a public school in Chicago until very recently. It drove a blower as part of a steam forced hot air heating system. Another use for the size/type of engines your Wachs engines are would have been stoker drives. However, in the Pacific Northwest, I kind of wonder if coal was ever used as a fuel to any great extent. Stoker drive engines were small steam engines of the type you have, and were used to work chain grate or retort type of stokers on coal fired boilers.

The Federal Truck looks like quite a project. If you had waited any longer to get it, judging by the wooden spoked wheels, you'd have likely had it sitting on its wheel hubs. Looks like a job for a wheelwright aside from the mechanical restoration work. It also looks like the oldtimer had solid rubber tires. How are those replaced in this day and age ? I've heard of Federal motor trucks, but this is the first photos I've seen of one. Classic old truck, for sure.

Years ago, a fellow I worked with at the powerplant told me about a collection of antique trucks he and his father had. It's long gone. The trucks in the collection were all runners, and included a number of trucks of similar design to yours. The fellow I knew said he was not sorry to see those trucks get sold off. He said keeping up the maintenance on them was a never ending thing as his father just kept getting more and more old trucks. On one occasion, they were to drive some of the old trucks in a July 4th parade. My friend was about 16 at the time, and he was driving a truck called an "Atterbury"- made in Buffalo, NY and very much like your Federal in design and overall appearance. As luck would have it, the Atterbury stalled out during the parade. My friend suspected vapor lock as it was a blistering hot day. Some men helped push the Atterbury off to a side and the parade moved along. Meanwhile, the crowd pounced on my friend and began hooting and hollering at him about the state of the Atterbury truck. My friend said the Atterbury could only be started with a hand crank. He is a gifted mechanic, even in boyhood, but he said the old truck just did not want to start and in the commotion from the crowd, he succeeded in flooding the engine. Raw gas was dripping on the ground, the crowd was enjoying his agony of trying to get that old truck started, and he was sweating and getting madder and madder at that old truck, his father for sticking him with driving it, and all else. Finally, some kind hearted guys came along with a modern truck and a chain and got him and the Atterbury out of the situation. His father had a repair garage and heavy towing business, so having one of their own trucks break down in a parade was not real good for their business and the crowd made plenty of hay out of that.

Another friend got bagged to drive a 1920's automobile in a similar parade on a blistering day. He said that old car had a leather-faced cone clutch. For whatever reason, that cone clutch had two modes- fully engaged or fully released with no "friction zone". The result was creeping that old car along was difficult as it was impossible to feather the clutch and ease along as the parade meandered along. The other downside was the old mechanical brakes were there in name only. Braking was almost nonexistant. As my friend told it, the crowd thought it was all part of an act as the old car would give a jump forward and coast to a near stop as gaps in the parade allowed it, then another jump and coast.... The crowd thought it was some kind of comedy routine with an old car. My friend said when the parade was over, he told the owner of that old car he'd have likely done better to have driven an ornery mule with a wagon. As my friend told it, the only way he could really get that old car stopped was to grab the parking brake lever and pull it out by its roots. Amongst country mechanics familiar with these kinds of old trucks and cars, this lever is known as the "holy s--t lever", as it is pulled up hard as a last resort to get an old bucket of bolts stopped.

What kind of engine is in your Federal Truck ? Some old four cylinder engine with cylinder cast in pairs and pipe plugs to access the valves ? I hope your Federal Truck has a self starter on it and the mechanical brakes can be gotten into working order.

My dad had a 30-something Federal years ago. He said it came out of the canning plants in Monterrey California and the wooden body was shot, but it still ran well and was impressively quiet. He let it go as he didn't need the project, but of course wishes he still had it.

The Federal came out of dry southern California. From what I was told I am third owner. The engine is a 4 cylinder continental crank start access panels for the valves. I was told the sellers grand father had rebuilt the engine before he had passed and then the truck sat for 20 years. They had many old trucks and cars. I am use to Grabby clutches. One of my daily drivers is a 500hp powerstroke diesel with a full ceramic clutch to hold the power. The clutch pedal acts like a switch with not much slip. It's either engaged or its not. I will never drive the federal on the road. We have a family cabin on many many acres in a very rural area. I will likely tow it out there to play with it. Max speed is 15mph. It has a Timken worm drive rear axle. It was the second year after they switched to worm drive from chain drive. Engine is stuck currently but I did soak the cylinders with some penetrating oil. I have found a few companies that will restore the wheels which will likely be expensive. I also found a guy parting out the same chassis that has the cast wheels with decent looking rubber. I have tried to contact him with no success so far.

DSC_0682.jpg
24883407_10207724995921327_2923982413383353484_o.jpg

Highly regarded wheelwright (for the truck artillery wheels)

Stutzman's
33656 CR 12
Baltic, OH 43804
330-897-1391

Last edited:
cncFireman:

It would appear from the picture of the engine that the magneto maybe a replacement. The Continental Engines that are in the pre1920s
trucks, that I own or have owned, usually use a Bosch D4 or DU4 Magneto, depending on the size of the engine. As shipped from the engine
builder, very little if any shim was required between the Magneto Bracket and the Magneto Base to center the Magneto. The 1912-1913
engines built by ALCO, used the Bosch D4 Magneto without shims.

Cranking these engines can be a bit of a chore, a handy accessory to help start the engine is to use a Bosch "A" Coil in conjunction
with the Magneto. It will require a Double Timer on the Magneto for the most convenient operation, but it can be used directly on the
No.1 Cylinder. The "A" Coil is a self contained Induction Coil with a push button operated Trimbler. When used independently of the
Magneto, it can be wired to the No.1 cylinder. The No.1 piston is brought to just over top dead center, then the Trimbler button is
pushed and the cylinder fires. It may take a few tries,but it is a lot less strenuous than cranking. The power for the "A" Coil was
originally supplied by a group of No.6 Dry Cells, but today a small storage battery does the job.

The Artillery Wheels, when in good condition are very attractive, but the cost to rebuild them, at least for my budget, is prohibitive.
Fortunately, the wheels on my 1915 Two Ton GMC were cast steel and except for new paint were ready to go. One very interesting quirk
about the Solid Rubber Tires, they can "blow out". It hasn't happened to me, but I heard about this problem from an old "hard rock"
miner that I knew that owned the Golden Rule gold mine near Dragoon, Arizona. He said that he was hauling a load of ore to be processed
at the Old Dominion in Globe, Arizona when the tire blew. Prior to the tire coming off the rim, there was the sound of a long, low whistle sound followed by a loud bang. The tire rolled off into some dry grass and started a fire. To put the tire back on the rim was
fairly easy. He jacked up the truck, and while wearing a pair of gloves, dragged the tire back to the truck and got it back on the rim.
Using wet rags, he cooled the rubber and it shrank back on the rim. After he allowed it cool for an hour or two, he was on his way. The
truck he was driving was a 1915 Moreland. I thought that it was an interesting story, but I didn't think much about it until some years later.

In the early 1980s, a friend of mine, the late Walter Haessner, a publisher of automobile and truck books, moved his business to Tucson.
One day, he arrived at my shop and asked if I would be interested in going to New Jersey to repair the heating plant in is old offices
and warehouse, he would pay all expenses. So, we loaded my tools in his old El Camino and off we went. I was about to start my third
day of repairs, when Walt came in to tell me that I wasn't working today, instead we were going out to Southampton to the long Island
Automotive Museum, owned by his old friend, Henry Austin Clark, Jr.. Walt knew that I had had several phone calls and an extensive
correspondence with Mr. Clark and that a face to face meeting would with him would be a nice break from sweating copper pipes.

After several hours at the museum, it was time for a lunch break. For lunch, Austy took use to a restaurant that formerly had been the home of Mr.Boyce of Motometer fame. During the next two hours, we discussed all things pertaining to antique trucks, including the blowing out of Solid Rubber Tires. I told Austy that I wasn't sure if it was fact or fiction, he said it was definitely fact. It happened to him when he was drive his 2 Ton ALCO back to the museum. Every thing that Matt Lee had described twenty years earlier, had happened
to Austy. Hot asphalt or high desert temperatures seem to cause the problem.

Working on pre1920 trucks can get to be a bit habit forming, not unlike old machine tools. Don't forget the joy of Acetylene Headlamps. Nice truck, enjoy the restoration.

Hendeyman

Documentation about the 1915 Federal says Eisemann Magneto. The magneto seen equiped is a Wico Model C. I know very little about Magnetos but like everything else I will learn as I go. There is no plan for some show worthy restoration but rather I plan to derust the truck and give it a flat black paint and a roughish looking wood flat bed. I dont do parades or show. It's just a personal toy along with the rest of my old trucks. The picture below is the 1909 prototype Federal that sold at the Barret Jackson Auto Auctions some time ago. Pretty much my plan with mine just not as fancy looking. Mine will be much more plain looking.
65909_Front_3-4_Web (1).jpg

"Chassis Saver" Paint from Magnet Paints

cncFireman,

You might want to use "Chassis Saver" paint from Magnet Paints.

http://magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

Note the UCP970 Antique Satin Black with the recommended UCP934 Silver-Aluminum primer undercoat.

(No relation except as a satisfied customer. This stuff is not cheap, but it is VERY sticky after wire-brushing off loose rust. It brushes on well. I have it on and behind the replacement gas tank in a 1987 Oldsmobile. I intend to paint the rest of the underbody in increments.)

What I like about your truck, and other older vehicles, is that the entire truck can be understood. There are no impossible-to-fathom mechanisms or electronics. Yes, a magneto could be a challenge but it is nothing compared to an automatic transmission !

Call me old school.

John Ruth
Age 62

Thank you for the recommendations. I will look into them. I like the old School tech as well as new technology. I am a gearhead at heart and electronics do not bother me. I have a bit of experience with Electronic fuel injection Programming of Powertrain Calibrations A.K.A "tuning". Also modification of automotive electrical systems, CNC control system & programming, Robotic systems programming and repair, PLC programming and retrofits etc etc...general computer system repair and smart phone repair etc I even for example use smart phones to diagnose On Board Diagnostic systems and data log parameter feedback. But I also still enjoy playing with simple mechanical systems and old iron. I am required to have knowledge of new technology as I have working in the machine tool world for the last 10 years as a CNC/general machine repair guy. I mostly work in the Aerospace and fluid power industries.

I also forgot to mention that one of the steam engines above will be used to set up a small line shaft shop I have been currently slowly setting up.

I have that first one for my screen saver at work. I hadn't seen that second. Thanks. The 1 1/2 ton chassis seemed to stay about same from 1910 to sometime in the 20s. They also made a 1 ton chassis and as large as a 5 ton. There are actually many of these early Federals restored and many in museums.

Before I bought the Federal I was actually kicking the tires on a 1919 6 Ton Doane truck. However the owner did not like my offer. The chassis was extremely rough and missing the drivetrain.
DSC_0445.jpg

I have that first one for my screen saver at work. I hadn't seen that second. Thanks. The 1 1/2 ton chassis seemed to stay about same from 1910 to sometime in the 20s. They also made a 1 ton chassis and as large as a 5 ton. There are actually many of these early Federals restored and many in museums.

Before I bought the Federal I was actually kicking the tires on a 1919 6 Ton Doane truck. However the owner did not like my offer. The chassis was extremely rough and missing the drivetrain.
View attachment 216531

Hi cncFireman,

Have you been able to make any progress on your Federal or your line shaft shop? The truck's front cross member, brass water pump and period-looking hose clamps are neat. While the Wico magneto might not be original, the model C appears to date back to the late 1930s. I know of a model AP Wico (also a '30s design) that was outside for years. All it needed was some oil and maybe a few minor adjustments to work again--and it makes a good spark.

From the pictures, it seems like your truck could be returned to working order. I wish you well on your projects. Also, do you know if that old Doane 6 ton ended up being scrapped?

--Waukesha398

Unfortunately not much progress on the shop. I went thru a cordial divorce two years back and had to purchase another home and move the entire collection. A few things were sold as space was limited. The twin steamers were sold and a 45 chevy I was building. This last year I built a shed for the Federal that is almost finished and towed my Federal to my new place. I've been busy working, in a new relationship and just bought a bran new truck etc etc. So projects that I have too many of will take time. As for the Doane I believe I insulted the owner of the commercial truck buisness who was considering selling it. The Doane was rough. Chain and sprockets were there but the shafts were torched in half with the gearbox and complete drivetrain gone. The seller said he had an offer years ago for 5K. I offered half of that in which he went silent and did not respond afterward. Within a few days the Doane was gone as he had told me he was considering making it yard art at his cabin.
DSC_5431.jpg
_20191110_194655.jpg

Thank you for your quick reply, cncFireman. I'm sorry to hear about your divorce, but it's good to know that it was cordial. I'm also sorry to read that you had to give up some of your projects, but good job on the progress with your Federal. Sometimes it's helpful to narrow your focus--I should perhaps do this myself as I have many projects on the back burner. The barn for the Federal looks good. Is that a Chevy wheel on the truck's right front side?

I have to agree that 5 grand is a bit much for something missing the engine and transmission. While finding those once common, off-the-shelf parts may now be a challenge, the drive axle was made by Doane--if it needed any parts they would almost certainly have to be fabricated. Hopefully, that truck is yard art somewhere but luckily there are a few Doanes around already restored.

A lot of collectors have knocked back offers in the past now regret it......simple fact is guys interested in big trucks are getting too old,or gone....can be a very touchy point of conversation with collectors........

I have few regrets in life, but, one did come to light recently.
Several years after I sold a 1926 Mack AC to Ron Carey, a truck collector in Canada, he sent me a letter with a picture of the truck after he fixed it up.
I set the letter aside, with the intention of sending a thank you letter, for his taking the time to send the kind letter, and promptly misplaced it.
For many years, it has been one of those things that lurk in the back of my mind, and a few weeks ago, I found it!
Incredibly, the very next day I saw the article in the paper about he and his wife taking a wrong turn at a U.K. road rally, in their 1903 Knox motorcar, and got hit by a truck.
He did not survive.

Millionaire businessman, 80, killed after taking wrong turn onto M23 motorway in 1903 vintage car

Mike
1926 Mack AC.jpgletter from Ron Carey.jpg

I read about that tragic accident. Very unfortunate. I'm a sucker for old trucks. I also have an old Mack that I need to finish fixing up but not as old. Its a A51T. Quite rare actually. I also bought a new rig below that will double as my old iron hauler. Plenty of towing capacity with a 2020 F450. I did keep all of my machine tools. That part of the old iron collection is intact. I am on a buying freeze until I someday build a shop as I am out of room.
_20180725_145006.jpg
DSC_6316.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1869.jpg
    DSC_1869.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 88
I couldn't believe it when my dad read aloud a headline concerning the death of Ron Carey. His wife was also injured, though I'm not sure how badly. It is a terrible shame. I'm sorry that you weren't able to write back to him, rustyironism. It happens. I'm also amazed the letter turned up when it did--but crazy coincidences also happen.

Just a few months before, at the ATHS National Show in Reno, my dad and I saw a beautiful 1929 IH dump truck owned by George Kirkham that apparently was used in the Boulder Dam project. It was previously owned by Mr. Carey, who painstakingly restored it, and featured a 4 cylinder Hall-Scott engine, a huge gearbox, and chain drive.

Mr. Carey had many other restored, fascinating old trucks, among other things, in his collection. Your 1926 AC was a good addition, rustyironism--I like any Mack that has a set-back radiator (though I also like your A51T, cncFireman). I notice the AC was restored as an open cab. Did it have a detachable roof? Also, do you remember if the name "MACK" was hole-punched into the back cross member? This feature was only on 1925, and possibly '26 Macks I think.

The passing of Ron Carey is indeed tragic, but I will always be grateful that he spent his time and money helping some wonderful old machines survive a while longer.

Back