What's new
What's new

OT. 90mph Steam train celebrates 75 year old, 126mph speed record

Mark Rand

Diamond
This is OT, but may be of some interest, if only for some of the scenery.

Today was the 75th anniversary of the 126mph speed record set by the steam locomotive Mallard. This record still stands. Her sister locomotive, Bittern was given special dispensation to exceed the national 75mph speed limit for steam locomotives to pull an excursion train the 200 miles from London to York in celebration:-

Gawd that takes me back. Some English railway stations had 4 tracks, 2 at the platforms for local trains and 2 down the centre for through trains. It was awesome while waiting for the local train to watch the expresses blast through the station at 60/70 mph.

Magnificent, so good to see an oldie being run as originally intended and not pussy footing around a short line preserved railway.

Rushing by, the hiss of the steam, smell of the oil and eerie shriek of the whistle as it races along, absolutely magical. The modern world is crap.

What a thing of beauty. Nothing, and I mean nothing, sounds like a steam whistle. To be standing track side and feel the ground shake, oh my. If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times, if I was a billionaire, I'd break that record. And what a wonderful undertaking it would be.

I get a lot of my info about the world from the BBC, and this is part of their current offerings:

Bittern set off from platform four at King's Cross, stopping at Potters Bar in Hertfordshire, to pick up more passengers.

Richard Corser, general manager at organiser Locomotive Services Ltd, said: "Today is the culmination of a lot of months of preparation to make this happen, to go at a high speed and to give the passengers a bit of a flavour of what high-speed steam was like.
"This country's very famous for its engineering skills and steam was its cradle."
Bittern and Mallard are two of 35 A4s designed by engineer Sir Nigel Gresley, but only six survive.

The surviving locomotives will be reunited at the National Railway Museum in York to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Mallard's record on 3 July.

Dominion of Canada was shipped from Montreal last October while Dwight D Eisenhower has reached York from the US and both have been restored for the anniversary.

Union of South Africa and the Sir Nigel Gresley will also join them at the museum.

Anthony Coulls, the museum's senior curator of rail vehicle collections, said: "What we're planning is a major celebration - people will be coming from four corners of the Earth.

"The gathering of the six locomotives is the jewel in the crown."

Damn! I'm stuck here in the Colonies and green with envy!

Lee (the saw guy)

And to whet your appetite, Norfolk Southern has stated that if the Roanoke transportation museum can get N&W 611 ovehauled ( Approx 3.5 million) they will let it run on their system. 611 could drag that limey engine around like popping a whip. Search N&W 611 on you tube to see her run in the previous steam program. Also N&W 1218. If only, oh if only, a Y6b had been saved.

Wonderful event and fantastic videos! I ended up spending too much time looking at other steam locos from youtube links from the first. :) GB certainly does seem to have more engines in steam, often running on regular lines than we ever do here. But the passenger rail infrastructure is better there, too; so probably makes it more cost effective to run specials, excursions, and even somewhat regular tourist routes in steam.

Bittern and Mallard are two of 35 A4s designed by engineer Sir Nigel Gresley, but only six survive.

Only!.
Of 275 Hudsons produced for the NY Central ("20th century limited" including the iconic Dreyfus "streamliners" toward the end of service) & the final development of 27 Niagaras as the ultimate steamer for that service (flat, fast, long distance)....None survived.
These were trains that often operated above 90mph on the ~950 mile run between NYC & Chicago and were reputed to have sometimes exceeded 120mph. In a careful cost analysis by the NY Central in the 1950's, the Niagaras bettered diesel-electrics in first cost as well as service and maintenance costs. But the writing was on the wall and all were out of service by 1957 & eventually all scrapped.

smt

And to whet your appetite, Norfolk Southern has stated that if the Roanoke transportation museum can get N&W 611 ovehauled ( Approx 3.5 million) they will let it run on their system. 611 could drag that limey engine around like popping a whip. Search N&W 611 on you tube to see her run in the previous steam program. Also N&W 1218. If only, oh if only, a Y6b had been saved.

A Y6b is preserved at the transportation museum outside St Louis, but is unlikely to ever steam again.

The 1218 was partially rebuilt at the time NS abruptly canceled the steam program in the mid-1990s, and was dressed up cosmetically for exhibit at the museum. I was told while visiting the museum last month that one of the engine units would need to be rebuilt as it was in that process when work stopped. Then the usual boiler and flue work would be needed.

At least the NS management currently in place appreciates the good will a steam program can provide.

Attachments

• DSCF2426.jpg
    DSCF2426.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCF2427.jpg
    DSCF2427.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF2428.jpg
    DSCF2428.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCF2429.jpg
    DSCF2429.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCF2430.jpg
    DSCF2430.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 344
I notice in the vid, the lack of any appreciable amount smoke from the smokestack. I wonder if this is from the coal being used now (following some regulation perhaps) or from the heat of the fire where it's working hard?

I do recall my father telling me it was difficult for them to find a particular type of coal nowadays but remember what he said was special about it (might have been something about sulphur). Alas, he's no longer around to ask.

Back