What's new
What's new

OT - Anyone have dimensioned drawings of the 1857 Napoleon or 1841 field howitzer?

Mickey_D

Stainless
I have an older Colchester 2000 CNC lathe that is going to have to move out of the shop early next year to make way for a new machine and I really want to make a 12 pounder cannon barrel on it before that happens. I can swing 9" over the carriage and go out to 7 feet with a big steady to support it, just not sure of the breach diameter of either one (going for full scale with a 4.62" bore). Anyone have dimensioned drawings of either an 1857 Napoleon 12 pounder or the 1841 US field howitzer? I have never been accused of being sane so this could be a fun side project.

Another view of a 6 pounder...

cannon-11pre.jpg

The howie

1841 field howitzer.jpg

John

Mike, knowing that you're thinking about using that heavy wall chromoly pipe you have -- how are you going to close the breech? :D
More importantly, where are you going to shoot it?

Fed M1857 Napoleon was 11" at breech. Overall was 72.55". In Bronze, it weighed 1230 lbs with the 4.62" bore, which was 63.6" deep with 1.15" corner radii at bottom face.

From Field Artillery Weapons of The Civil War

Looks like a Napoleon is too big to swing on the lathe, so a 6 pounder might be the way to go. This will be fun.

Mickey,
If your still looking for a set of 12 lbr dimensioned barrel drawings I can scan you mine. They were done by a proper machinist during a full size restoration in one of the U.S. state parks. Just email me and I'll get them scanned for you.

Pete

I'm 5'9" tall... and standing in front of a 12 pounder, I look directly into the muzzle.(I actually know someone who has one in his garage.) They are a lot bigger than most people think. As John O says, 11" diameter at the breech. Even the Mountain Howitzer is abut 8 or 9" at the breech.
I've entertained the fantasy of making one since I was about 12. I even have the wheels - well, a pair of wagon wheels I bought when I was about 14, which is now in excess of 50 years ago. Of course, they aren't the right kind of wheel and they aren't big enough either but what does a 14 year old know. I wasn't going to get any help from my dad. He though I was a lunatic and couldn't see why I would prefer artillery over classical music.

If one happens on a copy of Field Artillery Weapons of The Civil War. it has both Napoleon and 1835 12 pounder mountain howizter drawings

Back