What's new
What's new

Photo: ...Hartridge Machine Shop...

Elliott/Alba/Royal (Different eras of same machine) shaper in the right forground. Pollard/Herbert Drills behind.

It always surprises me that generally there are no benches or anything to put your bits and pieces on in these old pictures and I have seen plenty of places where that is also the case ,it would drive me nuts having to put everything on the floor and can't be very efficient.

Good pic Lathefan.

IMO it has an ''English look'' to it, and the name ;- Hartridge I knew were big in diesel injection test equipment, had a google and they're still at it :) Hartridge | World Leaders in Diesel Fuel Injection Technology

It looks like the companies products are being put together in the next bay on the left ,I don't know what you think Sami but this looks like 50's or even 60's but I guess there was still plenty of line shafts left around at that time.

lathefan,
I have no idea how You find all these photos but please do keep-em coming.
Some of the detail in these old photos is amazing!

Looks like 40s to 50s to me. They might still have had some lineshaft driven machines in the early 60s but probably not the whole bay less the drills. The layout is poor and they are short of space. As Sable says, the lack of parts that have machined is a bit odd.

Is that a pantograph in the very near foreground, cropped off?

Sable & Billmac, that was my take on the picture, and like you I hate not having benches and stands to put gear on, plus parts are liable to damage on the floor - which in itself get's further away with every hour of the shift !

I would say yes to the Pantograph - which by the castings, looks a bit Taylor Hobson-ish to me.

...this photo was dated 1945...but I wasn't sure the source was reliable...guess it would have to be after VE day...no ladies present...

Back