What's new
What's new

OT: A day with three Stanley Steamers

Terry Harper

Cast Iron
Awhile back we were invited by the Stanley Museum Steam Crew to take a 30 mile tour around Kingfield and New Portland, Maine. Needless to say there was no way we were going to miss that opportunity! So, Saturday morning found us up early and on the road to Kingfield. If you have never been to the Stanley Museum I suggest you put it on your list. Its far more than a collection of Stanley steamers with a focus on the remarkable inventive genius of not just F.E. and F.O. but of the whole family as a whole.

Anyway, our tour consisted of the museum's 1909 Model R, 1910 Model 70 and 1916 model 725 touring car. Our route took us over many miles of back country dirt roads past rural homesteads and scenery that has all but vanished. The cars ran fantastic! My daughter is still smiling. She greatly enjoyed riding "shotgun" in the model R and later relaxing in the comfort of the 725.

Special thanks to Mark, Debbie, Sue and Jim for inviting us, being such amazing hosts and organizing such a wonderful experience.

20210828_114841.jpg

DSC_9461.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

20210828_131049.jpg

DSC_9490.jpg

When I was a kid ,a Stanley stopped outside and asked to fill the watertank using the out front garden hose .....Id never heard of a steam car ,so the driver explained it to me ......back in the mid 60s ,pre WW1 cars were still very cheap ,but the old mans stock answer....only rich people have old cars!......We had a 20 Dodge buckboard ,appparently not old enough to make the owner rich.

Recommended reading for anyone interested in Stanley Automobiles.

"The Story of a Stanley Steamer" by George Woodbury.

Can still be found in original copies, frequently with dust covers for about $20.

A charming book which Woodbury artfully (and accurately) describes the underlying technology of a (IIRC) 725 Stanley Touring Car. Woodbury ambles not only on the technology, but also the people which populate the eccentric world of antique machinery and it's attraction.

Rambles may be more accurate. An opening paragraph Woodbury describes in detail a planer explosion when he forgot to install the "keeper-covers" on the planer knives - an event which I did almost as Woodbury describes myself. A piece of the keeper spring is still embedded in the overhead of my cellar wood-shop.

Be mindful of the book though. Woodbury's "John Goffe's Mill" has recently accelerated into the bibliophile's realm of stratosphere with prices of the out of print book seen at multiple hundreds of dollars for the 1946 Copy.

There is a whole realm of literature which due to the recent political and social changes occurring in the US has suddenly become "popular." These would be primarily books written by the "Greatest Generation" which while a nom-de-plume may describe more fact than fancy.

And hind-sight remains 20-20 and seeks reinforcement, even into one's bifocal age.

Joe in NH

Can still be found in original copies, frequently with dust covers for about $20.

A charming book which Woodbury artfully (and accurately) describes the underlying technology of a (IIRC) 725 Stanley Touring Car. Woodbury ambles not only on the technology, but also the people which populate the eccentric world of antique machinery and it's attraction.

Rambles may be more accurate. An opening paragraph Woodbury describes in detail a planer explosion when he forgot to install the "keeper-covers" on the planer knives - an event which I did almost as Woodbury describes myself. A piece of the keeper spring is still embedded in the overhead of my cellar wood-shop.

Be mindful of the book though. Woodbury's "John Goffe's Mill" has recently accelerated into the bibliophile's realm of stratosphere with prices of the out of print book seen at multiple hundreds of dollars for the 1946 Copy.

There is a whole realm of literature which due to the recent political and social changes occurring in the US has suddenly become "popular." These would be primarily books written by the "Greatest Generation" which while a nom-de-plume may describe more fact than fancy.

And hind-sight remains 20-20 and seeks reinforcement, even into one's bifocal age.

Joe in NH
Joe,

I read that book back in high school when I found a copy of the original in our library. I loved it back then.

I recently bought a copy and reread it. I think it is one of my favourite books ever. George Woodbury was around at just the right time to capture the last of that history just before it disappeared forever.

There were a lot of neat stories in there. I think my favorite one was retelling the tale of the big run on the world's first self propelled steam fire engine to put out the great fire in Boston. What a trip that must have been and to have captured the story from one of the last men who was alive to tell about it was just one of the items that made that book so neat.

I wish I could have had access to scrap yards and the collecting of steam artifacts as George did in that book. Sadly that era is now long gone.

Overall my words can't do it justice. The other good thing is some of the Stanley guys reprinted the book and the reprint contains so much neat knowledge and info on the Stanley Steamers that puts things in the book in better perspective for the reader. If you're not a book snob who collects first editions get the reprint the $10-20 I paid for it on Amazon was well worth the money. I too had thought of getting his other book he talks of it a lot in this one but couldn't find it for sale anywhere.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Joe in NH

Wonderful books! Interesting the Goffe mill still stands though today its nearly consumed by a giant Whole Grocier store.

Another wonderful Stanley related book is "Smogless Days" by Stanley W. Ellis. It was my introduction to Stanley when I was a freshman in highschool. A few years ago I found a copy and it's now a cherished part of my collection.

When I was a kid ,a Stanley stopped outside and asked to fill the water tank using the out front garden hose .....Id never heard of a steam car ,so the driver explained it to me ...

That's a neat memory!

One related incident from our tour. At one point we had to stop for water. Usually they siphon from the river but it was so low the hose wouldn't reach. Undaunted Sue turned us all around and we stopped at a farmhouse we had passed where some sort of family gathering was taking place. They generously let us fill the tanks. However, just as we were finishing up, Herb asked if it was a family reunion or party... they told us it was a wake for a deceased family member!

Anyway, they enjoyed our brief visit and ours with them.

On another note. The wire bridge was fun. If you stop suddenly you get a nice wave action going.

and the video:

I wish I could have had access to scrap yards and the collecting of steam artifacts as George did in that book. Sadly that era is now long gone.

In one of the Woodbury books, George describes his development of a three legged milking stool for which he set up his antique mill machinery to reproduce in quantity. Striving for something to do with the mill, perhaps?

As part of this tooling up, Woodbury purchased from a scrap yard an automated lathe which he considered an asset, but an asset which the local industry would be slow to adopt. The automation and flexibility of this lathe would be a challenge for any production shop to keep operating, but the challenge may be outweighed by the lesser quality operative that could be bought to keep it in operation once set. Woodbury used this lathe to produce the legs of the stool in quantity.

Woodbury affectionately nick-named this lathe machine "Perkins", possibly after the Lowell Machine firm F.S. Perkins, who produced in the late 19th Century MANY different capability of lathes and machines. F. S. Perkins Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org

I have not been able to come up with any period description of this lathe which may have been a "back-knife" sort of machine, or possibly something more complicated and a closer match to Woodbury's description.

The stools seemingly were made for a few years as Woodbury says "Rump fitted by a college educated anthropologist."

A stool showed up on Craigslist here in Cow Hampshire a while ago.

Joe in NH

Attachments

• 00A0A_4mc80ZhlZcd_1200x900.jpg
    00A0A_4mc80ZhlZcd_1200x900.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 42
Trouble is the world of quirky antique machinery and artefacts is no longer populated by enthusiasts and eccentrics.....its now populated with big money,greedy dealers,and the nouveau rich........leaving the very ,very few whose fathers have passed on some treasured item.....Still,I had my go at Indians and Harleys for $10,and at one time had 20 running Model Ts .

Thank you for posting this interesting thread. The youtube shows quite a bit about the actual Stanley Steamers. The Stanley Twins were inventors, and at the same time
hardheaded Yankees. The story goes that if a person wanted to buy a Stanley Steamer, they had one system of financing: Cash on the Barrelhead.

The boilers of the cars were a simple firetube boiler with many small diameter tubes. The Stanleys were not about to explore the idea of watertube or 'flash' steam 'generators' as some later steam cars such as Doble did. The Stanleys stuck with what they knew and what worked. In an era of riveted boiler construction, the Stanleys knew they needed a way to make a lightweight firetube boiler shell. To accomplish this they used thin-gauge steel, wound with piano wire to strengthen the boiler barrel. Whether the Stanleys got this idea from what was sometimes done to strengthen the chamber areas on naval guns is lost to history. There was a great length of piano wire wound under tension around the boiler barrels. Many years later, as I worked at the construction site of a nuclear powerplant, I saw the 'post tensioned tendons' used to strengthen the concrete reactor containment building. This building was designed as a pressure vessel in the event of a major leak of 'primary coolant' from the reactor or the piping between it and the steam generators. The Stanleys had used that same design principal to allow the use of a very thin, light weight boiler barrel.

The engines of the cars were also an example of the Stanleys sticking with what they knew and what worked. A 'simple' (not compounded) twin cylinder slide valve engine with link-type reverse motion was something that had been in use for many years prior to the Stanleys putting it in their steam cars. They did refine that basic design to make it lightweight and compact, even to using ball bearings on the connecting rod big ends.

At the time I was working at that nuclear power plant construction site (Millstone Unit II, Waterford, Connecticut), there was an old automotive repair garage and machine shop in Mystic, CT called Welles Garage. Mr. Welles had started the business in 1911 and was still working at it. Mr. Welles was another hardheaded Yankee with an inventive streak. He had some reason for refusing to have his house and shop connected to grid power when it came along in the 20's, so produced his own power. He had a complete machine shop, line shaft driven by DC motors. He produced his own power with old automobile engines driving what had been street car traction motors as generators. These charged banks of used forklift storage batteries so he had lights and power in his house at night. Welles had been a believer in steam cars. Sitting front and center in the shop was a steam car he'd built to his own ideas. It was a Packard chassis with a Stanley 'Mountain Wagon' engine/rear end. The Mountain Wagons were the biggest Stanley Steamers built, and were built originally to haul guests from the railroad station to the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. Whole other story as to how one of the Stanleys developed Estes Park and built and ran a hotel there.

Welles' steam car had a flash-type steam generator built to his own design. It was oil fired with an oil burner using an electric draft blower and electric fuel oil pump. The rear deck of the car was taken up with a load of storage batteries to power the burner and feed water pump and a few other auxiliaries. The 'radiator' of the car was a steam condenser. Welles had a system of what we would now call 'electromechanical logic'- relays, pressure switches and the like which took the boiler thru startup and maintained a head of steam. The car had actually run and been driven for some little time until a tube in the steam generator let go.

In another part of the shop, Welles had a complete blacksmith shop. It had not been used in years. Sitting in the shop was one of the 'Coffin Nose' Stanley cars. It was completely intact with the seats filled with assorted stuff like pipe fittings, tools, cut off chunks of material, old car parts and similar. Welles said the boiler had given out in that Stanley and he was going to put one of his own design of steam generators into it. Considering Welles was in his 80's at the time, I doubted this was going to happen.

I often wonder whatever became of Welles' steam car and that Stanley. In the youtube, aside from seeing the steam cars in action, the "B" tanks of acetylene on the running boards can be seen. These were for the headlights and tail light on the cars. In one sequence, the dashboard of the car is show. A 'bicycle' type of kerosene headlamp is mounted a short distance from the dashboard. This was the instrument panel lighting.

Welles had a mess of Stanley parts around his shop, and a number of pressure gauges on the compressed air lines had faces marked "The Stanley Steam Carriage Company- Newton, Mass." I had a 110 volt DC 1/2 HP Delco electric motor in my posession. It was of no use to us, so I offered it to Mr. Welles. He was only too happy to have it, and said he'd like to give me something in return. I asked for a Stanley pressure gauge. He searched his shop for one not connected to anything and could not find one. At the time, I thought having a Stanley steam gauge would be quite the thing.

The Stanleys were prolific inventors, and their fields of endeavor included making violins and a patent on making photographic plates. Albert Welles was cut from that same cloth. Welles had invented a machine for 'hanking' clothesline (winding it and bundling it in packaged lengths for sale). As the story went, Welles got into some argument with people wanting to enter into an agreement with him to manufacture the machines. He shut the door on them and that was that. Why he was a staunch believer in steam cars is something I never found out. At the time, his everyday wrecker (tow truck) in the shop was a 1936 Ford with a wrecker on the back. Hand cranked winches using chains. The shop was a time capsule in 1973-75 when I frequented it. I am sure Mr. Welles is long gone to his reward, and wonder whatever became of the shop, his steam car and the 'coffin nose Stanley'.

In an eras when people did not travel very far, and when there were horse watering troughs in many village squares, the Stanley cars were in their element. The village of Kingsford, ME looks like a time capsule of a real New England village and the Stanley Steamers seem quite natural to be seen on the streets and roads there. This youtube is the first such 'film' I have seen of a ride aboard a Stanley Steamer.

The village of Kingsford, ME looks like a time capsule of a real New England village and the Stanley Steamers seem quite natural to be seen on the streets and roads there. This youtube is the first such 'film' I have seen of a ride aboard a Stanley Steamer.

Joe,

Thats so true! The local's acted as if it was a common site. Which I guess it is with the museum right there.

Joe,

A quick googling shows Welles Garage may still exist. Photos are more artistic than anything but is this the place? Leubaphoto. Be neat to try to take a trip up there sometime.

On a side note not to derail the thread too much but on the topic of Mystic, in addition to your friend's shop and the Seaport they also have one other gem up there. In your time did you ever find your way up to B.F. Clyde's Cider Mill? Really neat place just went their with the wife and kids last week. The boiler has been somewhat updated. Still has the traditional fire door but all oil fired today with welded construction but still looks almost appropriate.

If anyone goes make sure you look up the times they're pressing apples we got there around 2:30 and they were all ready cleaning up.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Asam:

Albert Welles' grandson was headed towards taking over the garage, but that was back in 1975. Possibly, the garage still survives in close to its form when Albert Welles (founder) was alive. Another point of interest in Welles' garage was the 'welding power supply'. Since this thread deals with steam cars, an alternative to I/C engined cars, a word about early electric cars would not be entirely out of place here. Albert Welles was quite resourceful and inventive, and had a good working knowledge of direct current and direct current electromachinery (fancy term for motors & generators & rotary converters). Near the area where the generators (made from what today we would call 'repurposed' streetcar traction motors), was the 'welding power supply'. This was a nicely finished marble panel with two large meters (amps & volts), a selector switch with 'button contacts' on the face of the marble panel, and a couple of knife switches. On the top of the panel was a nickel plated cast nameplate. In fancy scripted lettering, it read: "The Baker Electric Vehicle Company". It had been a 'charging station' for the Baker 'electrics'- electric cars back in the early days of automobiles. Mr. Welles had tied it into the DC buss bars of his 'powerplant' and used it to control amps and volts for welding current.

Another piece of repurposed equipment was the switchboard in his 'powerplant'. This was a soapstone panel with numerous open knife switches. It was the 'load center' for the garage and house. There were small engraved brass tags over each switch. On closer examination, these tags bore no resemblance to any part of Welles' garage or house. Instead, the tags read: "Fire room", "Wheelhouse", "engine Room", "Fire room", and similar. Mr. Welles told me that he had gotten that switchboard from a scrapped early US Navy steam torpedo boat. The steam torpedo boats were the forerunner of the destroyer.

As for Clyde's Cider Mill, I knew the place quite well. A man named John Bucklin, a grandson of B.F. Clyde (or grandson-in-law, if such a relationship exists) was running the cider mill in 1973-75. Albert Welles told me about the cider mill and I went over there. At that time, John Bucklin was converting the mill back to steam power. In about 1914, B.F. Clyde or his son had converted the mill from steam power to gasoline power. The power unit was a Model T Ford engine and transmission mounted on a wood skid. John Bucklin was converting back to steam power, and had just mounted the engine and piped up the boiler. The engine was a little center crank Ames steam engine from a laundry in Rhode Island. The boiler was a vertical firetube boiler (VFT), riveted construction, from a small creamery. There was also a small duplex steam feed pump and injector to supply feedwater to the boiler. I gave Mr. Bucklin a pressure relief valve to pipe into the feed pump discharge piping, so as to prevent accidentally deadheading the feed pump. I worked with Mr. Bucklin to shift the eccentric on the Ames engine to reverse its rotation so it could run the cider mill.

The boiler was oil fired from the git go, using a home oil burner gun. Mr. Bucklin had a relative (son in law, possibly), who was either a custom auto and motorcycle painter or tattoo artist, or both of these. His last name, being "Webb", was known predictably enough, as "Spider Webb". Spider went wild around the steam plant with pin striping and flourishes and fancy lettering.

I was at the cider mill many times when it was in operation. The Mill was typical of the era. Boomer and Bosschert, of Syracuse, NY furnished the entire Mill machinery, and their design utilized part of the Mill's post-and-beam framing as the press frame (screw press). Mr. Bucklin told me how, in the late 40's or ealry 50's, he had travelled to Syracuse, NY to the Boomer and Bosschert shops. He knew they were not long for this world, so bought the last keg of copper nails for putting together the frames used when the pulped apples are laid up for pressing. He also had asked Boomer & Bosschert to make a lineshaft driven cider pump. They had castings in stock, and machined them while Mr. Bucklin waited for the pump to be completed.

Boomer and Bosschert was perhaps the biggest cider mill (and wine pressing) equipment manufacturer in the USA. Their cider mills turn up quite often when you vist an old working cider mill. Locally here, we have another B & B cider mill. It is original, and has been in the same family since at least 1900. It differs from the Clyde Mill in that it uses toggle action presses and is a larger capacity mill. It was also originally steam powered, but was converted to gasoline power 'way back when'. This takes the form of about a 25 HP Fairbanks Morse gasoline engine, one cylinder.

If you meander around online, you can find the entire Boomer and Bosschert catalog. They were quite the manufacturers of all sorts of machinery for making cider, wine, and preparing other fruits for food products.

I remember riding my motorcycle to the Cider Mill quite often when they were pressing apples. Sometimes, I'd bring a date along. Mr. Bucklin always gave us a 'pull' of some high-test applejack or apple brandy (distilled from hard cider). When Mr. Bucklin saw me pull up on a motorcycle, he told me of how he rode an Indian in the 30's or 40's. He told me he wanted a pair of high motorcycle boots, so he rode to the Frye Boot Company in Marlborough, MA. He told the oldtime bootmakers what he wanted and they "tore their hair out" as it was not a use they associated their boots with.

I also brought my parents to the Cider Mill when it was in steam. Mr. Bucklin gave my Dad a pull of his special high test apple brandy. Dad was a WWII veteran, and as soon as he tasted the high test apple brandy, said the last time he'd had that same thing, he'd been fighting his way through France.

Clyde's Cider Mill is a special place. I always marvelled at how the mill building was integral to the mill machinery and process. Nowadays, in the interests of protecting us from ourselves, I know that the health departments (or similar) landed on the small oldtime cider mills, 'both feet first'. The health departments mandated that cider has to be either paseurized or dosed with some kind of antibacterial agent. Many small, family run 'on the farm' cider mills in NY State closed as a result. The mill near us, with the F-M engine, gets around it by simply not selling the cider. It is pressed and given to invitees, or to people who brought their own apples.

On the 18th of September, we have the annual 'cider party' at my buddy's automotive garage/machine shop. This shop includes a working planer, Hendey engine lathe, Hendey shaper, and a big Monarch lathe along with B & S vertical and horizontal mills. Another buddy brings his hit and miss engine and belts up to an ice cream freezer, and a small 'cidering outfit' is set up. Apples are run thru the grinder and hand pressed. Much food is brought, some grilled over wood fires, and other friends bring assorted musical instruments such as fiddles, banjos and the like. At some point, someone new to the party will be given the shop tour and the planer will be started. The planer earns its keep planing automobile cylinder heads, decking engine blocks, and resurfacing manifolds.

I got my own dream realized with the steam plant at Hanford Mills. Adam: you visited Hanford Mills before we had the steam plant, if I remember correctly. The steam plant at the Mill is a re-creation of what was there ca 1890. I was retained to design the steam plant for the Mill and have been with it ever since. Today, I am going up to Hanford Mills to meet with the Mill super and a contractor. I do engineering work for Hanford Mills as a volunteer. This particular job is to stabilize the steam engine foundation (original mortared stone). We have a horizontal return tube boiler (HRT) in a brick setting, boiler built new using submerged arc welding to ASME code. The boiler sits on the original mortared bluestone foundation from the original HRT, in the original boilerhouse. 60 foot high riveted stack, as per original.
We run two steam engines which are belted up to the line shafting when water power is not in use.

In any 'working museum' there has to be a degree of reality and practicality. Museum types do not want to change anything from what was there way back when, but in order to have a working museum such as Hanford Mills, or Clyde's Cider Mill, modern methods of construction and modern codes and design criteria need to be followed.
At Hanford Mills, we hid the welded construction boiler inside the brick setting, and had a replica boiler front cast to look like the original. Similarly, when I detailed the 3" main steam piping, I called for open butt welded joints (who is crazy enough to thread 3" pipe, let alone get 300 lb black MI fittings ?). We hid the welded joints under the pipe insulation. I enjoy the fact that places like Clyde's Cider Mill and Hanford Mills are 'working mills'. Not just static displays, and not just engines running without driving anything.

This is why we are stabilizing the engine foundation at Hanford Mills. It is mortared stone, not on any real footing, and the outboard bearing pedestal is on an independent stone pier. Both the main engine foundation and outboard bearing pier sit on a kind of random subgrade soil consisting of sandy clay shot with cobbles.
Under load, the engine foundation 'walks' a bit. Many years prior to 1920 (when the original steam plant was removed), someone at Hanford Mills had attempted to address this by building a stone buttress on the engine foundation to transfer the thrust load to the building foundation- which, being random stone rubble, did not do anything. My design calls for a hidden reinforced concrete 'incorporation slab' to tie the main engine foundation and outboard bearing pier together, and rebar dowels to be drilled and grouted down thru the stone foundations. Dowels into the sides of the two engine foundations will tie into the rebar mats in the incorporation slab. Since this all will be under the engine room's floor, the visiting public and critics will be none the wiser.

Once we get the foundations stabilized and the plant back in steam, my hope is to take a set of indicator cards when the engine is pulling the sawmill. May as well 'go the whole hog'. Some of the function of Hanford Mills is to saw out lumber from locally logged trees. Hemlock and Pine are sawn into timbers and board lumber. Some of it went into my blacksmith shed here at the house. Having a preserved working mill as close to original as possible is always special.

Back