84.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 5634.jpg
    5634.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 6576.JPG
    6576.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 98
balloon,1795.jpg

A labor-intensive business, but the intelligence gathered must have made it seem worth the fuss, especially in 1795.

Looks as though this was for a single fixed-position observation, as opposed to being able to wander around up there to get a wider look.

The perspective in the picture as drawn is a bit funny - it isn't clear why the pilots appear to be so small. Perhaps like coxswains in a racing shell they were selected for tiny size and feather weight. Guessing from the size of the pilots that sphere might have been 30-50 ft diam and quite a load to handle in that sort of breeze. Pulling the balloon back down to ground level must have been an amusing drill. I think by the way that I might have divided the ground crew up into 3 squads, 120° apart, not 2.

I suppose the 6 guys with the white flags were there to provide wind direction information, but not all their flags are flying in the same direction. It reminded me of the ludicrous sight of our American flag planted on the moon with a stiffening rod to make it seem as though it was bravely flying in the breeze.

-Marty-

Back