Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ot-----French Aerostatic Corps

1794---french military ballooning is formalized

WWI--battlefield ballooning is now sophisticated--high pressure hydrogen
    allows multiple fillings at front

truck maker Latil produces mobile anchor platforms for balloon tether

HD Stock Video Footage - French soldiers prepare an observation balloon for flight and launch it during World War I.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 443.jpg   098j.jpg   789gh.jpg   5634.jpg   6576.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent again. Crisp

3. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

balloon-1795.jpg

A labor-intensive business, but the intelligence gathered must have made it seem worth the fuss, especially in 1795.

Looks as though this was for a single fixed-position observation, as opposed to being able to wander around up there to get a wider look.

The perspective in the picture as drawn is a bit funny - it isn't clear why the pilots appear to be so small. Perhaps like coxswains in a racing shell they were selected for tiny size and feather weight. Guessing from the size of the pilots that sphere might have been 30-50 ft diam and quite a load to handle in that sort of breeze. Pulling the balloon back down to ground level must have been an amusing drill. I think by the way that I might have divided the ground crew up into 3 squads, 120° apart, not 2.

I suppose the 6 guys with the white flags were there to provide wind direction information, but not all their flags are flying in the same direction. It reminded me of the ludicrous sight of our American flag planted on the moon with a stiffening rod to make it seem as though it was bravely flying in the breeze.

-Marty-