What's new
What's new

OT- Help identify this unusual antique mechanical device.

tgw

Aluminum
My local scrap yard gets a lot of odd looking stuff. It's always interesting to try and figure out what some of it does. This one has us all stumped.

This gizmo came in a few days ago and no one seems to have any idea of what it is or does. It does appear to be a cutter of some kind. The hand crank is turned counter clockwise with the right hand while the frame has a grip for the left hand. There is also a trigger that acts as a neutral for part of the cutting mechanism.There are three cutters. The wheel blade and two flat blades attached to the arms under the shaft. The flat blades on the arms almost scrape the side of the wheel blade. The frame is mounted on a separate fork like casting that looks as if it would attach to something round. There is a narrow slot between the frame casting.

This thing is well made and the casting look to be high quality. It is very intricate and has a lot of adjustable moving parts. I can't really describe it very well.

I don't know where it came from but it sure doesn't look like the typical oil field junk that the yard usually gets.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TerryDSC02464.jpgDSC02469.jpgDSC02472.jpgDSC02461.jpg

Looks like drum cutter for removing the end of a oil drum...Phil

Wuddn' yah know it? Sometimes s**t that looks like other s**t actually IS other s**t!

OTOH? Ever' body and his brudder wants to do it dif'rently:

drum deheader - Google Search

Eventually, enuf brudders make better ones some of the other ones goes to scrap..

Scrapyards can be interesting, yes.

Go figure yah could learn to be a good cook by analyzing what went down the toilet?

Grateful is woz privileged to start in the kitchen, actually. The tasting exercise was more pleasant, if nothing else..

:D

Back