What's new
What's new

OT: help identifying light bulb(?)

esbutler

Aluminum
A friend has this light bulb that came from his grandfather's basement many moons ago. It has a split disc in the middle. It throws off a cool red light from an oscillating field/cloud above the disc. There are no markings on the glass or the base. Is this just a plain old light bulb or will this sterilize anyone within 100 yards or what? Gramps worked for the phone company in NYC in case that gives any clues. Thoughts?

FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Thanks. Sorry for being so far off topic.

Glow lamp for a special purpose. Illumination of something from behind, I’d say. Harmless in terms of radiation

It looks like a fancy neon bulb. It has two electrodes with a gap between, and the colour is right for neon. It's harmless.

One way of identifying a neon is that if you look straight at it, the light is steady, but if you move your eyes it flickers very noticeably.

George

I think that's just a general purpose neon lamp, maybe even the same type pictured to the right of the "History" section in this article on neon lamps which would make it a General Electric NE-34 glow lamp, manufactured circa 1930.

Neon lamp - Wikipedia

Irby

In the 1940s and 50s these were common. I once used one for a strobe to freeze the rotation of a wheel. They were also available filled with argon to make a blue light.

Bill

Had one just like it about 60 plus years ago. It was an UV bulb, came in a science kit. Only thing that I remember for sure came with it was a small piece of black locust wood that glowed pretty nicely under the UV light.

I remember a lamp similar to this in a Colby ship yard gantry crane.. The crane was diesel electric and this lamp would light when full voltage from the generator was available to run the electric motors for hoist, swing, travel, etc... Ramsay 1:)

Back