What's new
What's new

OT...ish 1913 Galion road grader 1/12 scale

Ray Behner

Diamond
A life long friend makes stuff like this all the time. But this time is one of his best in my opinion. Every gearbox works. All the u-joints and links work. The wheels tilt. Exactly like the real one.

YouTube

What some men can do amazes me! When I've made something I proud of someone else makes it 1/4 of the size and better! If I had to make 1x.25mm bolts and nuts I'd sell my machinery and take-up basket weaving at the local asylum.
Your Friend is quite an exceptional man, next to him I'm first year shop student, first day in class!

The largest screws are 0-80. Wow! George gets tremendous respect from me for not burying bad finish and mistakes under paint. The soldering ain't too shabby, either!

Thats some real dedication. What kind of machines does he have?

He has a 10" Logan like the day it was made and a wee little lathe for the real puny stuff. The mill is a ¾ size knee mill from Gr....y. In this case, it's definitely the man and NOT the machine. He can do more on that mill than 10 could do on a big mill.
Just copy: george britnell engines and take a few days to see what he has done.

Definitely the skill of the man! Machine is just a tool to simplify the operation. But without skill of the operator the machine is just a hunk of iron! Though I doubt I could ever begin to try to thread 1mm rod .25mm on my 24" Hendey. That's why I have why I also have lathes down to 12" but even if I had a smaller lathe small enough 1X.25mm would scare me! If I recall my 12" Hendey has thread range down to 96TPI, why I have no idea, If I ever do select it would probably be for a feed rate!

Simply FANTASTIC! Great job he did, looks like fun but I'm sure as with any project it had its moments.

Is he going to paint it? or leave it brass? Also, if he hasn't already, he should sign and date it.

Simply FANTASTIC! Great job he did, looks like fun but I'm sure as with any project it had its moments.

Is he going to paint it? or leave it brass? Also, if he hasn't already, he should sign and date it.

No, it will stay brass. You're right, he should sign it.
He's one of the very few people that fit in your realm.

Back