What's new
What's new

OT - Mag Base Drills, the import models

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
Has anyone here tried the import models of mag base drills? The cheapest name brand ones start at $1200, if someone was paying me to punch holes all day it would be easy to justify the expense. I'm needing to mount some vices, hole pattern on the Wiltons does not match the old import pattern. I've looked at the used mag drills, just an old Bux magnetic base is bringing more than a whole import model. So I'm contemplating a $289, with annular cutters, import model, there are a few vids on yt of fresh out of box units, wondering how long they last.

I drilled the holes in the workbenches (1/4" plate) 30 years ago with a Makita 1/2" drill, not sure I could do it again today. If nothing else $289 is cheaper than a wrist rebuild.

The vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUnFE1fVCtQ&t=430s

I have an import (I can look up the brand and probably model on request, but I'm not at the shop today) magdrill, which works fine. I have no idea how durable/reliable it would be for the long term, because I've needed it for only a couple of dozen holes. (Which is why I did not splash out the $$$ for a Milwaukie or a Hougen.) But the magnet is strong, the quill is stiff, and the action is smooth. I've used standard 3/4" shank annular cutters up to 1.5" and also drilled some 17/32" holes for tapping 5/8-11 using a stub drill and a shop-made adapter.

Last edited:
I have a BRM-60A-B - BLUEROCK Tools Magnetic Drill - Mag Drill Typhoon Model off Amazon. About $650. Drilled 200 1.5” holes in 1 inch plate one afternoon and hundreds more smaller holes since. It’s two speed and reversible for tapping, a feature that was hard to find at the time. I feel it was a decent buy.

I have a Steelmax (Poland) which I got for $300 about 15 years ago. It has served me very well. Around Seattle they are sold by Central Welding.

metalmagpie

Just a thought if this is a onetime use have you checked your local rental center? Do you have any in your area? We got a great one near me. I just looked at their website $50/day. That's even less than the Cheapo drill you linked to. A to Z Rental :: Magnetic Drill Press

Quite awesome to get to use a $1000+ machine for $50 if you only need to use it once every 10yrs.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Andy
Cheapest Hougen today is $799 + tax + a set of cutters puts you right about $1000

Sfriedberg
It would be interesting to see which one you got, the most widely advertised one on ebay is the MD-40 and there are a few yt vids reviewing it, cost wise its about the same, motor and mag on the 50H are supposedly beefier, but maybe that is just fluffery.

Flail
I looked at the Bluerock, correct me if I'm wrong but I think its just imported with a USA distributor? If so, at twice the cost, I could just buy 2 of the cheap ones and have effectively the same warranty + spare parts.

Kustomizer
I've been playing with that option, was not sure I could clamp it well enough from the edge of table, and need some holes on back edge of table for lights, space constraints in shop will make back of table more challenging.

Metalmagpie
A mag drill has been on my wishlist for many years, with all the auctions I've been to its kind of surprising I don't have one, guess I was never in the right place at the right time.

Adammil1
It is 175 miles one way to the closest rental yard, there is a reason my location is listed as BFE:D. I have honestly considered starting a rental yard, if nothing else to offset some of my tool expenditures.

Saw a few vids on just making a mag base with some magnetic door locks, too many projects on my plate to complete this summer, no point in adding to the list.

I had that problem too, I ended up drilling and tapping 5/8 -11 holes every 8 inches on a 45 degree angle all over the 2' x 12' bench, after I had a few in I has able to hold the drill press in place with mill table hold downs, my table is 1 1/2 thick so I put matching set screws in the holes to protect the threads.
IMG_2281.jpg
IMG_2282.jpg

Saw a few vids on just making a mag base with some magnetic door locks, too many projects on my plate to complete this summer, no point in adding to the list.

Got a surface grinder with a magnetic chuck? Probably time to remove it, clean the base and SG table top, and reattach/redress it, yes? And while it's off, flip it over and bolt to a cheap import drill press? :D

You can always shorten the pillar on those drill presses, and some allow sliding the head down at will.

I do have a low-end mag drill, but it's a Milwaukee. Not terribly satisfied with it, and have been tempted to hot-rod it with proper linear profile rail and carriages, as well as extend the travel. Maybe even change out the drill motor, so my Franken-drill would wind up having just the mag base as original...

Back