What's new
What's new

OT-make a boatswain's (bosuns) whistle?

Sea Farmer

Diamond
They are not very expensive to purchase, but I have an insane desire to make one as a gift. However I can't find plans anywhere, and I don't have one to reverse-engineer.

Has anyone ever done this, or does anyone know of a place to get plans, or even a detailed diagram?

On edit: well, this is the best diagram I can find. No dimensions though:http://navydp.com/NavyCollector/Navy Images/__History of the Bosun Call.pdf

Last edited:
Sea Farmer, I have one out in my shop somewhere. I could dig it out after New Years.
Jim

They are not very expensive to purchase, but I have an insane desire to make one as a gift. However I can't find plans anywhere, and I don't have one to reverse-engineer.

Has anyone ever done this, or does anyone know of a place to get plans, or even a detailed diagram?

On edit: well, this is the best diagram I can find. No dimensions though:http://navydp.com/NavyCollector/Navy Images/__History of the Bosun Call.pdf

I have my dad's in hand which is marked Made in England and can tell you this;
1 Ball is apprx .785" OD
the hole in the ball is apprx. .275" OD
2. the tube is about .235" OD and is 4.125" long including the mouth piece.
3. The web is about .040" thick and is about 2.06" long

Hey thanks!

Guess I'll make a dapping die and punch, hammer some hemispheres, and see if I have any soldering skills left.. . . .

Jim I thought I'd posted a TY early this am but it seems to have disappeared.

Reading the various results of online searches it seems that the fiddly part in tuning is getting the trailing edge of the opening in the ball filed to the right angle and attitude with respect to the tube's end, and maybe filling the ball with the right amount of melted beeswax to tune it.

Another project to keep me off the streets during a long dreary winter :)

SeaFarmer: Please keep us posted on making the bosuns's call. I'm a bit of a whistle enthusiast - made a few of them - and I'd love to make a call. I am quite intimidated by making the ball. I'd be delighted to follow behind you on this project.
Carl

lathe hand I will, although like most of my projects it'll be slow going.

My initial thought on making the bowl is to make a dapping die set to make two hemispheres and solder them together. I've never "dapped" before, but it doesn't look too difficult, based on the various Youtube vids on the subject. Soldering them together neatly and cutting the opening properly look challenging.

I notice the bowl is not always spherical--some models use a barrel or teapot shape. Those may be easier to make.

If it were me..I would do it old school.Get out your 2 ounce ball peen.Get yourself a chunk of lead and start hammering away forming two "bowls".You can even form one to slip inside the other then solder.Copper,brass..German silver. You can use a large ball bearing for the final forming.
I think the "hammered" finish would look awesome.

lathe hand I will, although like most of my projects it'll be slow going.

My initial thought on making the bowl is to make a dapping die set to make two hemispheres and solder them together. I've never "dapped" before, but it doesn't look too difficult, based on the various Youtube vids on the subject. Soldering them together neatly and cutting the opening properly look challenging.

I notice the bowl is not always spherical--some models use a barrel or teapot shape. Those may be easier to make.

Here is my set of dapping tools for all you who have no idea what is being discussed. I have a few punches for cutting discs from sheet in the round container. The ball ended dapping punches are marked with metric sizes from 1 to 26 with some half sizes. The block has numerous sizes of recess and is marked France.

Larry

Dapping tools.jpg

Sea Farmer;
You have the dimensions in another post. Here are pics.
Jim

Attachments

• boatswain1.jpg
    boatswain1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 880
  • boatswains2.jpg
    boatswains2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 322
  • boatswains3.jpg
    boatswains3.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 321
  • boatswains5.jpg