What's new
What's new

OT - Massey- Ferguson 302

magneticanomaly

Titanium
Trying to decide if I want to buy a circa 1962 M-F 302 industrial tractor loader, Diesel.

Starts well on chilly morning. Can't move it to check gears because busted hyd hose prevents raising bucket. I will go back and see if jack and chain can get around that.

Seller says brakes are bad, and I am trying to figure out how much of a pain it will be to get at them. They appear to be mechanical, but inside the final drive/axle housing. Looks like there is a single hydraulic brake pedal to apply both at once, or little pedals on either side of the diff housing to apply either side.

There is some kind of enlargement on each side near outboard end of axle housing..looks too small to be either brake or planetary final drive, but I do not know.

Anyone have experience with this model?

Thanks!

They're inboard and right up close to the diff, you have to get the axle trumpets off the banjo, which is a lot of work, ……….from memory;- there are 2 types of brake, one wet, the other dry, with some (possibly MANY) variations ???……...and given the age of the m/c I would first check that all the parts are available.

Furthermore, if there are some parts that are exclusively MF Industrial (as opposed to agricultural) machinery, they will probably be eye wateringly $$$$

I just did a full reseal on one of these with a backhoe last year... dead simple and parts are cheap, albeit a little hard to source at times. The most expensive thing will be getting hydro hoses made. I would go into it expecting to split it and reseal everything. The one I did failed a transmission input shaft seal and coated the clutch in gear oil. They also use hydro fluid in the transmission to run everything. If you can do your own repairs it shouldn't cost you too much to get it in working order.

Thanks, KK! I have not yet tried to make it move, so I know nothing about condition of gears...but the 302 seems to be a mechanical, not hydrostatic shuttle. I like mechanical, but hydro took over or a reason. In your experience, does any part tend to give trouble on the 302?

$1500 a good price?

$1500 a good price?

UNLESS ???it's in very very good condition ??? ………in my book that's about a thousand bucks too much.

Seriously, unless you're in a machine desert, there is plenty of kit about, ………….. you are looking at a 55 + year old machine, which is almost guaranteed to eat a lot of $

Thanks, KK! I have not yet tried to make it move, so I know nothing about condition of gears...but the 302 seems to be a mechanical, not hydrostatic shuttle. I like mechanical, but hydro took over or a reason. In your experience, does any part tend to give trouble on the 302?

$1500 a good price?

Its a manual transmission but these case is full of hydro oil and it uses that oil to run the hydro stuff.

After I fixed that backhoe unit my buddy used it for 3 months and then sold it for $3500.

Back