What's new
What's new

ot: ok who the heck put the dull drills back in the index???

Greg Menke

Diamond
one of <those> nights in the shop... barely one step ahead of scrapping the part the whole time, breaking drills, grabbed the 5-40 tap instead of the 4-40, work stops in the wrong place...

But hey, still better than facebook :D

I had that night last night. Spend stupid time prepping a parts to paint. Will wait to shoot paint as last thing I do before closing up. Start another side project beat my brains out to no avail. Finally rush to shoot paint, Right after I shoot, inadvertently blow a ton of dust in the air towards part. . . Looked like a painted in a sand storm. :eek:

I seem to recall carefree evenings of drinking in a bar and talking to pretty girls. What am I doing with my life ? :D

Dull, or at least not so sharp, drills in my index boxes used to be the my ground state.

Until I finally got ass into gear and made the drill sharpening widget the permanent rest state set up on my Clarkson T&C grinder.

About 60 seconds max from "Hmmn, not so sharp" to "Who needs razors." They always drill on size too. Heck sometimes I even remember to sharpen a well used one before putting it away. Sometimes.

Illustrates the advantages of having things arranged so "do it now, right now" is easy. I figured I was doing well enough collecting bunches of not so good ones for periodic sharp up sessions. Um... Nope!

Clive

Making a quick gadget I needed a 3-48 Tap, Using 3-48 on another item I make quite a few of I had a few new in the box WIDIA/GTD (Greenfield) taps. Took one out and was happy to see how well they cut. Later when attempting to put in a set screw they would not screw in. Used the tap again but didn't help until I looked at the size with help of magnifying lens. It was 3-56, I checked the box, all marked 3-48 and other taps were 3-48! I had to order 3-56 set screws!
As to sharp drills I have a Darex M-5 Drill grinder, makes sharpening drills easy.

In our shop drill indexes are closely guarded personal items.

When I have a buggered drill, I flat the cutting edge off on a grinder and put it back in the correct slot as a placeholder. That's how drills get mis-placed in the index, somebody ruins one and throws it out, leaving an empty slot. That's when things start moving around.

Back