What's new
What's new

Seneca Falls Star 11" spindle taper, looking for a center

ronnrwb

Plastic
I have a Seneca Falls 11"x 5ft screw cutting lathe that I am looking for a center for the spindle. The taper seems to measure out at .0367" per inch. the large dia. at end of spindle is approx. 1.115". Any thoughts on what was used for centers in these machines? The catalogue shows #2mt for centers and the tailstock does take a #2mt. I am guessing they must have used an adapter in the spindle?

Hi, I just joined here, also have a 12” Seneca Falls lathe, I need spindle center adapter too. I’m not a professional machinist. I don’t see any taper in the spindle bore. Maybe 2deg but that only extends in for 1/2”. Maybe 1.15dia from there thru. Very rough bore. I don’t get how an adapter would not spin in the spindle bore with almost no taper?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks, good thought. I’ll do it when I get home. An old Star lathe sales brochure says the 12” should allow 1” stock thru the spindle, and mine does. I don’t know what’s up, but I’ll take a photo.

Last edited:
Photos of my 12” lathe spindle. You can see a taper only goes in about 1/2”. I don’t see a MT2. What am I missing?IMG_4072a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4069a.jpg
    IMG_4069a.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4067a.jpg
    IMG_4067a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
My 9" Seneca Fall Star lathe has a Jarno #8 taper in the headstock, #3 in the tailstock. Jarno taper was common in that era-you might check that out. S/F may have provided whatever taper the customer wanted.

Tom B.

Is a key way needed to keep the collet from spinning? I don't know much about collets. A 5C wouldn't fit, my spindle bore could take a 1.125dia.

Is a key way needed to keep the collet from spinning? I don't know much about collets. A 5C wouldn't fit, my spindle bore could take a 1.125dia.

Yes, a key is needed to keep the collet from turning while tightening and loosening the draw bar. Friction on the tapered part of the collet keeps it from spinning once the collet is tightened on the workpiece. The key is likely a steel pin inserted through the spindle wall about 3 inches back from the nose.

The most common collet with a 1.125 body is a Hendey No. 3, which Hardinge called 3H. See below for the other dimensions. I have 17 of those collets that I would sell. Keep in mind that the tube of the draw bar will be bigger than 1.125, like 1.25 inches or so, so see if there is a bore that big to the left of the 1.125 inch bore.

Larry

1950 collets 1.jpg

Back