What's new
What's new

OT, old Western electric galvanometer

JST

Diamond
Looking for the actual usage of this thing, and age. I'm pretty sure there are some collectors of old equipment here.

I know what galvanometers do, been using them for decades.

The question is what THIS one was for. It's a bit special, has a box that would allow it to be portable, and is simple and easy to fix, as it would need to be if used out in the sticks back when horse travel was the typical means.

Simple silk thread suspension, adjustable for height, thread easily replaceable. No bearings, one moving part. Two magnifying lenses for observing the pointer vs two reference lines at 180 degrees.

Unlike most, it has two damper vanes on the pointer, suggesting it is not intended for use with standard cells, since with cells you only hit the "key" for a very short time, watching for a "twitch" of the pointer. the vanes would limit that, suggesting it is more for a DC balance other than a standard cell.

Won't know the sensitivity until I get some silk thread of the same thickness as what is left. It is an "astatic" type, improved over the old "tangent" type that was affected by the earth's magnetic field.

ODLy1jb.jpg

YFIEo0x.jpg

qTfoCna.jpg

View of the pointer
G3mmIPo.jpg

The top cover, with "travel lock" for pointer. Loop on screw is for the thread, matching loop on pointer.

ndpYeob.jpg

Looking for the actual usage of this thing, and age. I'm pretty sure there are some collectors of old equipment here.

I know what galvanometers do, been using them for decades.

The question is what THIS one was for. It's a bit special, has a box that would allow it to be portable, and is simple and easy to fix, as it would need to be if used out in the sticks back when horse travel was the typical means.

Simple silk thread suspension, adjustable for height, thread easily replaceable. No bearings, one moving part. Two magnifying lenses for observing the pointer vs two reference lines at 180 degrees.

Unlike most, it has two damper vanes on the pointer, suggesting it is not intended for use with standard cells, since with cells you only hit the "key" for a very short time, watching for a "twitch" of the pointer. the vanes would limit that, suggesting it is more for a DC balance other than a standard cell.

Won't know the sensitivity until I get some silk thread of the same thickness as what is left. It is an "astatic" type, improved over the old "tangent" type that was affected by the earth's magnetic field.

ODLy1jb.jpg

YFIEo0x.jpg

qTfoCna.jpg

View of the pointer
G3mmIPo.jpg

The top cover, with "travel lock" for pointer. Loop on screw is for the thread, matching loop on pointer.

ndpYeob.jpg

This one says New York, but still..

Checked their museum?

Hawthorne Works Museum – at Morton College, Cicero IL

Or our one:

Collections | PK Porthcurno

Siimilar history. Similar instruments.

Comprehensive google search turned up ONE similar device but it is significantly different in detail and probable purpose.

Neither link above appears to have much content in terms of images.

Comprehensive google search turned up ONE similar device but it is significantly different in detail and probable purpose.

Neither link above appears to have much content in terms of images.

"PK" as we call it, is well worth the visit. In the flesh.

Might have to cast a very broad net to find what for and how used, but conditioning telegraphy circuits might be a possible application.

Differential signaling transport layer and balanced, biased bi-polar relays were found useful, early-on. "In due course" became widely adopted.

PTT's weren't always into "bleeding edge". Slow to change, rather.

BofA, Asia only came off quarter-speed AKA "Galloping Hippo" 12.5 Baud telex to X.25 / 9.6 on MY watch. "But baby, just look at you now!"

Not sure what all that means...

I thought of one possible use with checking galvanic corrosion, and / or setting up countervoltage systems to reduce it. I am sure there are other maintained DC balance testing situations that might need a vane-stabilized readout.

Someone probably knows, and may even have a writeup of the procedure for whatever it was intended for.

It's unlike the Rubicon, L&N, etc galvanometers I have used for measurement etc. All of them are fast response.

Not sure what all that means...
Not even easy to point you to sources, J.

By the time I entered the comms biz, a prized possession was a first-edition upscale premium-binding copy of Hamsher's "Communications Systems Engineering Handbook". Wasn't cheap! Helped me a LOT, though!

Communication System Engineering Handbook by Donald H Hamsher - First Edition 1st Printing - 1967 - from Fully Booked (SKU: 001927)

And 98% of all the old telegraphy "bleeding edge" technology was already so obsolete as to be marginalized.

Contact with Cable & Wireless "F1 Staff" & C&W Marine counterparts - some already very old, back THEN, is harder now.

I was last on the C&W payroll, 1994!

Our pensioner mailing list is withering, old age having claimed even the next several generations. For some years, now, the most-frequent traffic is from grandkids.. about funeral arrangements.

So "museum" it is.

But... WECO served "Ma Bell".
The company so large, diverse, and pervasive their detractors awarded the bogus logo:

Their bell with the motto:

"We don't care"
"We don't have to."

As a larger and more decentralized entity than C&W, what went-on, and with what method is harder to track down in the here and now.

Good hunting!

I reckon it's anywhere from 1880 to about 1930. That's a pretty wide range.

The earliest possible would be the invention of the "astatic" galvanometer, which would be 50 years earlier than the 1880s, but I doubt it's anything like that old.

When that reference to "orgone" came up, I was thinking L Ron Hubbard and his nuttiness, but realized after a bit what you meant.

Ol' L Ron had a thing like part of a lie detector that was part of their training routine. Probably still is. I had a GF who got into that briefly, but she (and I) decided they were "out there" too far. So I saw the stuff in action, and may still have an actual schematic of their test instrument.

Hadda look up orgone to remind myself what the heck it was about.

How many connections to the field coils in the base? Two and a common ground?

Two, no ground.

Then it can't be used directly for a balance measurement - so it may be a bridge null detector.

I'd have to say it is DEFINITELY a bridge null indicator. I never had any doubt of that.

The question is what sort of test? The usual null tests that employ standard cells need a fast response detector so as not to load the cell. This does not appear to provide that, so it must be for something else.

I'd have to say it is DEFINITELY a bridge null indicator. I never had any doubt of that.

The question is what sort of test? The usual null tests that employ standard cells need a fast response detector so as not to load the cell. This does not appear to provide that, so it must be for something else.

Longwire routining? No need of "fast". Guy on the other end of the ESC can't DO "fast".

Where Western Electric got its start:

TELEGRAPHY AND TELEPHONES | Encyclopedia of Cleveland History | Case Western Reserve University

WESTERN ELECTRIC CO. | Encyclopedia of Cleveland History | Case Western Reserve University

Company History — Western Electric - Maker of electron tubes and high fidelity

Your goods oldest possible date would appear to be 1877-1882..going by the New York address. Doubt it would have been any later than 1925-1930, if-even.

General overview here:

History of the Telegraph in Communications

Wheatstone Bridge?

Jim wrote: "I'd have to say it is DEFINITELY a bridge null indicator. I never had any doubt of that."

To which I add a "Plus One"

Given the appropriate standard impedances, the Wheatstone bridge concept can test a wide variety of circuits, though with a DC galvanometer, you'd obviously be focusing on DC tests.

My SWAG is that it has something to do with early multiplexing, which relied on precisely-balanced impedances. IIRC, Thomas Edison held a patent on one of these multiplexing schemes.

John Ruth

Jim wrote: "I'd have to say it is DEFINITELY a bridge null indicator. I never had any doubt of that."

To which I add a "Plus One"

The null deal is pretty much what any "galvanometer" is for, using the term to mean "very sensitive meter", although there are exceptions. The old meter for checking blasting circuits was often termed a "galvanometer" also, although not a nulling device.

If you want to be academic, any current responding meter is a "galvanometer". Most use the term just for very sensitive meters, usually used in nulling circuits.

Back