What's new
What's new

Its About the Bar!

AntiqueMac

Hot Rolled
Take a glimpse at, IMHO, a rare precision tool circa 1880-85.

Richardson-4in-level-bar.jpg

This is a 4 inch long C. F. Richardson, Athol Mass level that sold yesterday, 10/06/08 on eBay for $515!

Now take a look at this 4 inch Richardson level:

Richardson-level1.jpg

I bought it years ago years ago for $25 and it would sell today for maybe $35. :bawling:

That protective bar on the first version is what makes it so valuable. I have a number of Richardson levels, but have never seen his trademark protective bar on a level less than 8 inches long.

Anyone got a short version with the bar? Rivett??

:drool5:

Last edited:
No, don't have one, but as a result of you generously sharing your expertise in this area, I'll certainly pay more attention to any I might encounter in the future.

Thank you for posting this.

John Ruth
ON EDIT: The sale price of over $500 proves that antique tools can still be sold for a good buck. It might "clean up" nicely, but it is by no means an absolutely pristine tool, which is always a value-enhancer. (The tools in the best condition fetch the biggest prices.)

Last edited:
Never saw the original thread, glad someone resurrected it.
Goodell Pratt 4". Label mostly worn out, one end of box broken loose. Small Goodell Pratt label inside bottom of box. Englishtown find from very long ago.Goodell Pratt 4 inch level 2.jpg

Steve

Back