What's new
What's new

OT: Professional Vise Rebuild..

I feel so bad for the vise I almost want to buy it and then give it a proper restoration (or burial depending on how bad it really is).

Maybe they need to pursue the "steampunk" route.
My usual equipment supplier must have gone the same way...........he is pricing old Bridgeport style work lights for 100 bucks now............grrrrr

Doesn't seeing ridiculously overpriced ads like these give you a strange sense that you know things that other people don't know?

The seller of the Wilton vise in the original post may have looked at the price of a brand-new Wilton swivel-based drill press vise. I've not been able to identify the model, but surely some Wilton vises have list prices higher than his asking price. The actual sale prices of new Wiltons may be quite a bit lower than the list.

That said, s/he apparently has no concept that some of the surfaces must remain unpainted! And, of course, we'd all like to see if s/he used the sandblaster indiscriminately !

The seller of the second vise has apparently lost his/her mind or not done his/her homework, as I believe the same vise is available brand-new for less that $50.

John Ruth

Back