What's new
What's new

OT Refrigerator factory to Propeller and Machine gun factory in WW 2

Richard King

Diamond
While looking for some advice on repairing my refrig on YouTube I found this. The Up Next on right of the screen has many otherWW2 related clips. Makes me so proud my Dad worked in a defense plant and my Mom worked nights making bandages out of bed sheets after working in a Dept. store during the day. I had 4 uncles who fought in the war too... Rich

Frigidaire - For the Forces - Production During The 194s - YouTube

When I read the title, made me think of the IH refrigeration factory in Evansville IN. They made M1 Garands during the Korean War, not sure if it was running during WWII or not. Real big place right along the highway, Whirlpool took it over later and then shut down some years back and fled to Mexico.

All sorts of interesting happenings when I was a toddler/short pants guy.

Reed Roller Bit, Houston oil tool shop, produced P-40 landing gear assemblies

I worked there 30 years later

All sorts of interesting happenings when I was a toddler/short pants guy.

Reed Roller Bit, Houston oil tool shop, produced P-40 landing gear assemblies

I worked there 30 years later

B.F. Goodrich, nominally a rubber-tire company, built entire Bearcats to Grumman specs. Marmon, of flour-mill heritage teamed with Buick to design and built armoured tank destroyers

It wasn't just about who had specific experience and tooling.

It was also about who had planning, financial, resource handling, training, and general management skills to successfully 'become' sword producer from plowshare maker, and by yesterday afternoon, thanks.

Hitler had ONE Albert Speer, handicapped by starting 'too late'.

We had thousands, already innovative before the war began... from fighting each other.

Bill

When I read the title, made me think of the IH refrigeration factory in Evansville IN. They made M1 Garands during the Korean War, not sure if it was running during WWII or not. Real big place right along the highway, Whirlpool took it over later and then shut down some years back and fled to Mexico.

I was just talking about this in the "Rosie" thread. They made P-47 Thunderbolts during WWII.

The plant that I worked in was once Irwin Pederson Arms Company. They were contracted to make M1 carbine barrels but had problems and the contract got cancelled, according to wikipedia.

Saginaw steering gear bought the plant and it was a GM plant until Delphi was spun off. Now it is part of GM holdings.

While looking for some advice on repairing my refrig on YouTube I found this. The Up Next on right of the screen has many otherWW2 related clips. Makes me so proud my Dad worked in a defense plant and my Mom worked nights making bandages out of bed sheets after working in a Dept. store during the day. I had 4 uncles who fought in the war too... Rich

Frigidaire - For the Forces - Production During The 194s - YouTube

Different time, different attitudes. I was just a kid, but I certainly was aware of it. Only a few days ago I looked through my collection of military insignia, like the stripes my neighbors gave me when they got a promotion and had their old stripes left over and the Air Corps Technical School badge another neighbor gave me when he taught electric motor repair in an Army Air Corps school. Admiral Yamamoto knew what to expect but most of the others apparently didn't realize what a tough core was under frivolous Americans.

As I have mentioned a few dozen times before the book "Freedom's Forge" should be required reading for every American.

Bill

Back