What's new
What's new

OT: Robertson, Phillips the history of the screw driver

I can't get the vid to play but it looks from the patent papers like just a square drive. Is a Phillips inferior? Maybe...but square heads don't tolerate having the driver at much of an angle, and often that is necessary.

My favorite was on 'King of Queens' when Arthur invented his own screw head and named it after himself..."You just insert the screwdriver into the A-Hole, and...."

Yeah, the Robertson is "the" square drive. And given a choice between Robertson and Phillips, I will choose Robertson every time. Well, actually, there is one exception. If I am closing up crate lids and I don't expect the receiver to have a square drive screwdriver, I will be nice and use Phillips or slotted head screws.

"I will be nice and use Phillips or slotted head screws"

Not long ago I was watching a couple working on a project, he asked her to hand him a screwdriver, without missing a beat she asked " plus or minus?" I am 54 years old and this was the first time I had heard them called that. I like Phillips because they will stay on the screw gun even when horizontal.

Robertsons will stay on the head below horizontal. In fact i have one sticking out of my fence. Been stuck in that screwhead for 5 years or more.

Yeah, the Robertson is "the" square drive. And given a choice between Robertson and Phillips, I will choose Robertson every time. Well, actually, there is one exception. If I am closing up crate lids and I don't expect the receiver to have a square drive screwdriver, I will be nice and use Phillips or slotted head screws.

The first time I sent a crate to the U.S. many years ago without thinking about it I grabbed a handful of screws and closed it up. I got a email from the buyer generally pleased with the product and crating but the comment that they had searched high and low for a screwdriver to get the crate open. Now I will close up a crate with Phillips or sometimes tape a Robertson bit to the top of the crate

The first time I sent a crate to the U.S. many years ago without thinking about it I grabbed a handful of screws and closed it up. I got a email from the buyer generally pleased with the product and crating but the comment that they had searched high and low for a screwdriver to get the crate open. Now I will close up a crate with Phillips or sometimes tape a Robertson bit to the top of the crate

Even 15 years ago they were less than common, now deck screws have them everywhere

Back