OT: Robertson, Phillips the history of the screw driver
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT: Robertson, Phillips the history of the screw driver

Off Topic: Interesting to learn that world war one and the Russian revolution stopped the spread of the Robertson screwhead while World war 2 lead to worldwide acceptance of the inferior Phillips design.
    Bill D.

Robertson, Phillips, and the History of the Screwdriver - Snotr

2. Likes Greg Johnson, Eric M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't get the vid to play but it looks from the patent papers like just a square drive. Is a Phillips inferior? Maybe...but square heads don't tolerate having the driver at much of an angle, and often that is necessary.

My favorite was on 'King of Queens' when Arthur invented his own screw head and named it after himself..."You just insert the screwdriver into the A-Hole, and...."

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, the Robertson is "the" square drive. And given a choice between Robertson and Phillips, I will choose Robertson every time. Well, actually, there is one exception. If I am closing up crate lids and I don't expect the receiver to have a square drive screwdriver, I will be nice and use Phillips or slotted head screws.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I will be nice and use Phillips or slotted head screws"

Not long ago I was watching a couple working on a project, he asked her to hand him a screwdriver, without missing a beat she asked " plus or minus?" I am 54 years old and this was the first time I had heard them called that. I like Phillips because they will stay on the screw gun even when horizontal.

6. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Robertsons will stay on the head below horizontal. In fact i have one sticking out of my fence. Been stuck in that screwhead for 5 years or more.

8. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    Yeah, the Robertson is "the" square drive. And given a choice between Robertson and Phillips, I will choose Robertson every time. Well, actually, there is one exception. If I am closing up crate lids and I don't expect the receiver to have a square drive screwdriver, I will be nice and use Phillips or slotted head screws.
    The first time I sent a crate to the U.S. many years ago without thinking about it I grabbed a handful of screws and closed it up. I got a email from the buyer generally pleased with the product and crating but the comment that they had searched high and low for a screwdriver to get the crate open. Now I will close up a crate with Phillips or sometimes tape a Robertson bit to the top of the crate

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Harvie View Post
    The first time I sent a crate to the U.S. many years ago without thinking about it I grabbed a handful of screws and closed it up. I got a email from the buyer generally pleased with the product and crating but the comment that they had searched high and low for a screwdriver to get the crate open. Now I will close up a crate with Phillips or sometimes tape a Robertson bit to the top of the crate
    Even 15 years ago they were less than common, now deck screws have them everywhere

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watch the episode from The History Guy's channel instead of from an aggregator: YouTube [lots of interesting topics there]

And we had a thread here not long after the original airing: The history of screws (YouTube)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you think Phillips is a pain, try installing a slotted screw upside down with an impact driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Phillips has less syllables, obvious it would be the winner.