What's new
What's new

ot---roundhouse sleighride

Dr. Holland:

Thank you for posting this thread. As I watched the youtube I read some of the comments posted below and "Attica, NY" caught my attention. I then clicked on the newspaper clippings and saw "Arcade & Attica RR Company".

I have been doing some engineering work for Arcade & Attica RR over the years on the boiler of the their locomotive number 18. Today, I was up to Fulton, NY, where the boiler from Number 18 has been temporarily removed to a fabrication shop. I met with Jim Hueber, of Mack Brothers Boiler & Sheet Iron Works of Syracuse, whose shop will be doing the boiler work, along with men from the Arcade & Attica and another steam locomotive repair/restoration contractor named Dan Pluta. I had done some engineering on a boiler for a locomotive on Western Maryland Scenic RR about 25 years ago, and Dan Pluta had contracted with me for the engineering, though I had never met him personally. Today, we all met to go over ideas for repairs to number 18's boiler. Firebox is in bad shape with umpteen cracks and repair welds on repair welds in the front corners, a crack in the knuckle on the top of the rear tubesheet, and a few other things to be addressed. We had a cold meeting out in the wind going over the boiler, which is sitting on a temporary set of skids. The boiler repair job went to Mack Brothers Boiler Works and we agreed the best way to handle it was to take the boiler off the locomotive frame and haul it right to the boiler shop. Mack Brothers' shop is another time capsule which this 'board has had pictures of in other threads. Unfortunately, Mack Brothers' shop does not have a heavy enough bridge crane, so they subbed the shop space to a fab shop in Fulton, NY. That fab shop got busy, needed to clear the bay for a few weeks, so the boiler was out in the wind and snow for us. The repair job will include some re-riveting, as well as flanging of some of the repair pieces. Good old time boilermaking by a fine oldtime shop.

I've been to the Arcade & Attica property in Arcade, NY a number of times over the years doing engineering for them. Their engine house is a time capsule, held up by guy wires as it is otherwise threatening to collapse. I never really explored their yard and property in Arcade, NY, so do not know if the turntable from Fort Erie is still there. The second steam locomotive is sitting in a shed on the property, needing boiler repairs, and no plans to do anything with it. A & A moves a few revenue freight cars over their tracks using a GE Center Cab diesel locomotive, and occasionally Number 18, the steam locomotive. Mostly, the steam locomotive was used for tourist trains, theme trains (the usual stuff like "train robberies", etc).

Arcade and Attica RR's property was a kind of old-age home for a lot of railroad equipment and related stuff, and it was piled deep with all sorts of things including track materials (rail, switches, joint bars), pieces of old maintenance of way machinery, wheelsets, trucks from railroad cars, pieces of structural steel and pipe, and plenty more. It is possible the turntable may well be buried in that pile. I know in the engine house a few years back, I was walking along the inside wall, and saw something sticking out of what looked like a pile of junk. Closer examination showed me a pile of junk with blacksmith tools mixed in, and a little casual digging and I had found a masonry forge hearth. I mentioned it to some of the A & A guys and it was news to some of them that there was a forge in their engine house- it had been buried for so long. We dug a bit more and I found draft horse shoes, a box of calks to be forge welded to the shoes, and now they were really scratching their heads wondering if the railroad ever had draft horses on the property. If a stone forge hearth could be buried in the engine house, I would not doubt that turntable could well be sitting out in their boneyard to this day.

Back