What's new
What's new

OT Scary Big Crankshaft Turning

I see there is no rod counter weights yet.

I found that they get bolted or welded on afterwards.

The plant tour I wrote about, they didn't use a lathe, rather a milling machine
that "chased the throw" with CNC, no offsetting the whole crank.

Big yes, did not seem too scary though.

I have a couple of cranks about that size, they now serve as curb stops to keep anyone from hitting the building. Couple years back one of the young gents came flying into the parking lot and thought he could pull off an impressive slide up to the building, he miscalculated and hit the crank HARD, crank did not budge, jacked his car up bad, LOL.

Taking some serious cuts, too. Interrupted cuts producing big blue chips that probably weigh ounces each.

Toolholders 1" square or 3/4" square are more my speed on a lathe. These guys are using a 3", maybe 4", (of course it's metric, 75mm or 100mm) square toolholder sticking out so far that it looks a bit flimsy. I bet they could get another 20% metal removal rate if they reinforced the toolholder with a buttress or a jack underneath it. :-)

Big yes, did not seem too scary though.

I have a couple of cranks about that size, they now serve as curb stops to keep anyone from hitting the building. Couple years back one of the young gents came flying into the parking lot and thought he could pull off an impressive slide up to the building, he miscalculated and hit the crank HARD, crank did not budge, jacked his car up bad, LOL.

Anything big enough that itcan shove you through several buildings before it would come to a stop if it escaped is scary to me!

I always consoled myself with the thought that if anything goes wrong, it is going to be a quick death....

But not for the poor sod who has to clean up afterwards :(

I once saw a 15'' alu car rim come out of a lathe chuck, the guy on the lathe didn't know what he was doing, gripped it in the chuck jaws by a ''********* paper'', then tried to run the spindle at 1500 rpm :eek: ……..calculations will show you that wheel went down that shop at around 60mph, ……...fortunately hitting nobody in it's path.
It was an awe inspiring sight for those of us watching, ……...and fresh underwear time for the guy on the lathe.

Last edited:
I find it surprising, a shop that big, and only two guys working, three if you count the cameraman. Almost like they are kicking out the last job before closing the doors.

he miscalculated and hit the crank HARD, crank did not budge, jacked his car up bad, LOL.

That reminds me of a day when a county man came and demanded that I tear down my "Gear" postbox foundation, it's made up of a 43" high string of scrap gears welded into a general shape of a pole for the box.
He said if a kid came through drunk and hit it it would tear him up. Well, most of the gears were high carbon gears cold welded, and no doubt the welds would easily fracture, at any rate I talked with a county commissioner about it and the gear post is still standing.
It's the same story often told of guys who get tired of kids running down mailbox poles along rural roads, drunk and destructive. It's common for the replacement posts to be wood on the outside and solid steel heavy wall tubing 4' deep in the ground inside the wood.
I really think that was where the county mandate came from.

At least in New York State, the only regulations on mounting a mailbox alongside a road come from the US Postal Service. These specify height of the mailbox, distance from the shoulder of the road, and type of mailbox. After that, how the mailbox is supported is up to the person doing the job or owning the mailbox.

30-odd years ago, my wife and family and I were living in a subdivision in Hopewell Junction, NY. Typical raised ranch and split level homes on acre lots. It was suburbia. When we bought our house, the original owner had set the mailbox on a wood post and arm. Some young hoodlums came through the subdivision running into mailboxes and knocking the posts and mailboxes down. Everyone for the most part went to the local True Value or similar and bought new mailboxes and pre-made posts. At the time, my father was dying of cancer out in California, and weekends were hard on me as I had time on my hands and knew there'd be phone calls with more bad news. I decided to replace the busted-down mailbox and post. I had put the mailbox on a temporary support made from an 18" dump truck brake drum and some pipe and angle. With the sadness surrounding my father weighing on me, I went to dig a hole for a concrete footing for the new mailbox support. I took a digging bar and shovel as the soil was hardpan (a clay soil shot with rocks of varying sizes). I threw myself onto the digging bar, in a kind of mad frenzy for want of a better way of putting it. As I dug deeper, I kept popping out large cobbles and boulders. I wanted to get below the frost line, so had to be about 4 feet deep as it were. Between digging to depth and popping out the cobbles and boulders, I had a large hole to fill. I measured it up and it worked out to 1/2 cubic yard of concrete.

I made a rebar cage out of scrap rebar from jobsites, rented a mixer and bought bag-mix concrete. I mixed concrete and set my rebar cage and made a footing with 1/2 cubic yard of concrete, which is just about 1 ton of weight. I left four rebar dowels sticking up out of the foundation when I screeded off the top.

For the actual mailbox support, I took a 20 quart milk can and bolted a 3/8" steel plate to the bottom. I ran a piece of 2" schedule 80 steel pipe up thru the can and thru a hole cut in the lid. I set the can on non-shrink grout on the footing, then filled the can with a sand-cement mix and threw in plenty of scrap steel and rebar to help it along. I drove the lid on before the sand-cement grout in the can set.

I welded on a piece of 6" channel for the "arm" to support the mailbox and welded in some hand forged steel ornamental steel bracing. Lastly, I burned our name in relief lettering out of the web of a piece of steel channel and bolted that to the mailbox stand (knowing we'd be moving from that house in the next couple of years). I painted the milk can and steel work and mailbox gloss black, and our name on the steel lettering in white. Of course, I put on a few truck reflectors.

Evidently, the word was out that this was one mailbox that was to be left alone. The hoodlums kept bashing mailboxes in our subdivision but knew that our mailbox could total their vehicles.

We sold the house and I unbolted our name sign and we moved on. We kept in touch with some of our old neighbors. What transpired with our old mailbox was quite funny. The people who bought our house were a basic IBM couple, and not particularly imaginative, wanting to be suburbanites rather than looking like a farmer or good old boy by way of the mailbox. Mr. Suburbanite spent a few weekends digging down to the bottom of the concrete footing the mailbox was founded upon. He then figured he could jerk the mailbox and its footing out of the hole with his car. As my friends related it, this fool tied a heavy rope to the mailbox and the other end to some part of the rear end of his BMW automobile. He took a running start and succeeded in jerking the rear bumper and some of the plastic body work and bumper mounting sheet metal off the ass end of his car. As my friend told it, Mr. IBM Suburbanite was kind of a religious sort and never cursed or did anything out of the status quo. My friend said he drove past our old house, and Mr. IBM Suburbanite was standing in the driveway looking at the ass end of his car and hollering: "That f--king Joe Michaels ! " My friend needled him a bit, and Mr. IBM Suburbanite hollered louder and kept cursing me instead of his own stupidity.

The story did not end there. Mr. Suburbanite called his father in law. The father in law came from Pennsylvania with a 4 x 4 Ford pickup and a chain. He chained onto the mailbox and footing. While he moved the footing, it would not come up and out of the hole and about all he accomplished was spinning the wheels on the pickup.

Now, Mr. Suburbanite had a moat around the old mailbox when it rained and the mailbox was sitting cockeyed due to his efforts to yank it out. Finally, Mr. Suburbanite had to hire an excavating contractor with a full sized backhoe to remove the mailbox and fill in the hole I'd dug for the footing. That contractor, for whatever reason, did not haul the old mailbox and its footing away, but left it laying alongside the driveway. Of course, they replaced the unique mailbox I'd made with some POS from the local Ace Hardware or True Value.

Up our way, people used whatever seemed handy or a reflection of their livelihoods to support and mount mailboxes. Old auto and truck or heavy equipment crankshafts were used for this purpose. Other people took heavy chains and welded the links together so the chain looked like it was doing the "Indian Rope Trick" , often using the grab hook on the chain to "hang" the mailbox, which might be made out of 6" or 8" steel pipe. Some people build mailboxes out of diamond plate and angle iron to fix the SOB's who ride around with baseball bats or toss M-80's into rural mailboxes. Plumbing contractors and pipefitters often make mailbox supports out of pipe and fittings. As I said, at least in NY State, the only local concern is that the mailbox post be far enough from the shoulder of the road so that snow plow trucks do not clip it. Some guys used to swear the plow drivers had it in for them, as their mailboxes used to get clipped by the "wing" plow on the plow trucks regularly. The people who were handy would weld a couple of heavy automotive coil springs together to get the height, and mount the mailbox arm off the coil springs. Other guys simple mounted the mailbox on an old wheel hub and spindle. Either way, if the wing plow clipped the mailbox, it swung out of the way and was otherwise undamaged.

As for me, I was kind of hoping the hoodlums would take aim again at our mailbox back when we lived in Hopewell Junction. I was sincerely hoping to hear that they'd piled up against our mailbox support and gotten theirs once and for all. Kind of a let down when it did not happen, but still a funny story of how the suburban yuppies who bought our first home could not let an original work of art remain in place and got theirs for trying to remove it. As it were, the mailbox with its 1 cubic yard footing sat in the grass alongside the driveway of our old house for a year until the people paid another contractor to come load it out and take it away. If Hopewell Junction was not about 75 + miles from our present home, I'd have paid one of my buddies with a backhoe and trailer to go get the old mailbox and bring it up to our present home. Unfortunately, the old mailbox and the ornamental ironwork I'd forged eventually made it to the landfill. Sad when people follow the herd and are bland and utterly unimaginative. Hence, plastic mailboxes on pressure treated posts seem the rule instead of the old free expressions and reflections of the people who had the mailboxes and put up whatever they pleased to support the mailboxes.

It's actually the law now though I'm not sure how widespread.

A discussion; https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/has-anyone-built-a-brick-mail-box.226467/page-2

And here;
USPS Guidlines (Mailbox Guidelines | USPS)

Installing the Post

The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

A 4" x 4" wooden support or a 2"-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
Bury your post no more than 24" deep.
(Sounds like they are talking about you Joe!)

I don't tend to look askance at someone who fortifies their mailbox post, but it should be said that law enforcement may. Living my life in such a way as to please a Tort lawyers fantasy life isn't really living.

Living my life in such a way as to please a Tort lawyers fantasy life isn't really living.

The way I stated that lends itself to being misunderstood, I've known people who seem to frame their lives to avoid lawsuits, while I seldom ever think about stuff like that.

If you limit yourself to 24" deep around here, the thing will be out of the ground
and laying on your yard in about 2 years..../frost runs about 36" here most years....Duh.

Apparently it works good in the suburbs of Washington, D.C.......

In-laws had folks flat run over the mailboxes due to a curve in the road....and not paying attention. So rather than a breakaway, they put one up that just sat there on the ground, with some stones on it to keep it in position.

It's amazing how much damage it will do under the car when run over..... and as it is completely "break-away", nobody can complain about it in any way... it is not "solidly mounted". "Box bashing" does nothing much to it either.

Doug:

I had that same thought. Here in the Catskills, building code requires footings to be at least 4'-6" below grade line. When I read that nonsense about 24" post depth, I wondered what s--t for brains desk jockey dreamed that one up. 24" depth is fine if a person lives in a place where winters and frost are a non-issue.

A buddy of mine is an excavating contractor. His home and equipment yard is on a curve on a road that sees some traffic. After his mailbox got cleaned off by cars once too often, he acted decisively. Last year, he dug down and put in a pad of crushed stone for drainage and to handle frost as well as to set a huge boulder to approximate top elevation. He then used his excavator with a thumb on the bucket as well as his dozer to land a very large boulder he'd selected. He dumped the boulder off his ten wheeler. Once he had the boulder where he wanted it, he then drilled into the top of it and set some steel pins. His mailbox is on a 6" x 6" pressure treated timber arm cantilevered off the top of the boulder. The arm is long enough so that plow trucks and the local mail carrier are all satisfied. No one said a word to him about it being too solid a mailbox support.

Getting back to the original topic, I watched the youtube of the turning of the crankshafts. What I found interesting is the fact the crankshafts were being hogged out of solid billets rather than having the throws formed by forging. It puts a lot of steel into chips.
As a freshman at Brooklyn Technical HS in the 60's, we took a course called "Industrial Processes" for two semesters. We learned about basic metals and how they were produced, and we learned about steelmaking and forgings vs castings. We saw photos of etched specimens of forgings, and learned about the grain flow and how a forging is preferable to cutting thru the rolling lines on something that is going to be highly stressed like a crankshaft. On something like those big crankshafts, if for no other reason than the sheer mass of material to be hogged out for the throws, I would have thought a forging would have been used. I know the Chinese are heavily into ship building, and are building low speed marine diesel engines. My guess is the crankshafts might be for low speed marine diesel engines as are used in container vessels.

If you listen to the youtube, at least to my bad hearing, it sounds like there is some chatter happening. The amount of extension on the toolholder to turn the throw journals is enough to make that chatter happen. The lathes themselves are lathes built for crankshaft work, having offsetting and indexing chucks at both ends. I suppose in China, labor is cheap and so is steel, so hogging out a heavy crankshaft rather than forging it can be economical. Still, the thought of a hogged-out crankshaft in a low speed marine diesel engine does not sit well in my mind, but then, I am a dinosaur in many ways. I know there are photos of the Doxford works building cranks for their opposed-piston marine diesel engines. Doxford used a built-up crankshaft, with the throws flame cut from heavy plate steel. Plenty of Doxford engines were powering ships for many years successfully with that design of crank. Similarly, many marine steam engines such as the triple expansion engines in the Liberty ships, used built-up crankshafts. I imagine the Chinese have figured out that a forged billet of the proper alloy steel can make a good sound marine diesel engine crankshaft a lot cheaper than using a forged crank.

Back