What's new
What's new

ot-------Sealion Murphy

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
Cordova, Alaska 1970

my neighbor Glassmaster Hank spends the summer on a processing ship in Gulf of Alaska gutting bottom fish-- fed up--he jumps ship and finds work as a bartender in Cordova

one regular is a 5 foot 2 inch Aleut native who goes by Sealion Murphy
Sealion is distinctive--massively re-arranged face--lips that leak with fluid intake, sunken eye

overtime Hank learns the reason for Sealion's deformity---bear thumping
Sealion would crawl into the den of hibernating bear and kick or slap the critter into action--Sealions legs were grasped by his two sons and he would usually be extracted before the bruin administers its displeasure--on his last den entry--his boys do not react in time--hard swing from the bears right paw peels Sealions face

Sealions behavior is a form of death wish-- on this day--27 March 1964--he,
wife, sons and 3 year old daughter were engaged in activities of daily subsistence life in the coastal village---Chenega
a mountain of water rose from the lagoon--Sealion took a boy in each hand and reached the only structure to survive--village school

wife and daughter were captured by the waves talons--only child's remains located

the great Alaska earthquake remains the second most powerful earth movement recorded by man---9.2 R

Attachments

• gfe.jpg
    gfe.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 1sm.jpg
    1sm.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 223
  • gfe2.JPG
    gfe2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 207
  • gfe1.JPG
    gfe1.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 193
  • gfe6.jpg
    gfe6.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 230
the great Alaska earthquake remains the second most powerful earth movement recorded by man---9.2 R

...and I found out (by chance, planning a vacation there) where the worst one was...::eek:
1960 Valdivia earthquake - Wikipedia
EDIT:...this was the town I was shooting for...Yikes:
"one of Chile's most active volcanoes, rises above Villarrica Lake and the town of Villarrica. "

Similarities of these 2 events (and many more), as they are all along the same range.
Ring of Fire - Wikipedia

But I still can't figure out why someone would stick their head in a bears den....:nutter:

Last edited:
would the reason be to taunt the bear into leaving its den so that it could be dispatched for food or its fur? Or he could have been just a bit off...

I had that same thought. It is likely that the taking (killing) of hibernating bears in their dens is illegal. At least in some of the lower 48 states, this is the case. Sealion Murphy may have figured if he woke a bear and got it pissed off enough to come out of its den, it was then "fair game"- literally.

From the name on the grave marker and the Russian Orthodox (?) crucifix, it would seem that Sealion Murphy was not a member of any of the indigenous peoples. If that were the case, it is likely he would have had fairly unrestricted hunting privileges. The fact he was having to waken sleeping bears and get them to come out of their dens points to the late Sealion Murphy having to conform to the local fish and game laws.

Aside from all else, at least in the lower 48, bear meat is often not particularly appetizing. Most people who have eaten it have said it is not anything they'd go back for more of. Most guys I know who have taken bears have done so for a trophy head or a rug, usually kind of gamy or worse. My wife and I enjoy seeing the black bears occasionally on our property or in our area and leave them alone. I've been within about 5 feet of an adult black bear, but did nothing to stir it up and we both went about our separate ways. We tend to relate to the bears as being somewhat human-like in their behaviors. Taking an occasional deer, and putting down coyote at any chance I get is a natural thing for me, but bears seem special. Venison is good eating, and with changes in demographics and more development in our area, the deer herd needs some management.

I can't imagine anyone being crazy enough to go into a sleeping bear's den to stir it up enough to get it to rouse and come out. To add to the craziness of this, I believe the late Sealion Murphy was messing around with Kodiak bears or Grizzlies- a much bigger and much more confrontational animal than our local black bear.

As for Sealion Murphy, the fact he was going out of his way to put himself at risk of at least a mauling, if not getting killed by a pissed-off bear does point to a death wish. There are lots easier ways to get something to eat, whether by hunting or fishing, or surviving on food that has been preserved for keeping over winter.

I wonder about the nickname: "Sealion Murphy". Chances are the origins will never be known. However, given the extent of the injuries and disfigurement from the bear, as well as JHolland's description, it is possible that "Sealion" was the result. Sealions, on land, appear to be teary-eyed. In actuality, they do not produce tears, but have a film of mucus that coats their eyes. Sealion Murphy may well have earned his name for that similarity, having his re-arranged face leaking fluids and probably mucus.

About the Alaskan earthquake, my Mom tells the story of working in an Edmonton church that night and noting the long slung lights starting to swing. Didn't know why until the news the next morning...

L7

bear poking Mr Sealion engaged in must be considered a suicidal mans sport

I began looking into this story 4 years ago--and only in the recent weeks found the obituary of Sealions daughter--and this illustrates the promise of the global web---the prospect of reliable commentary filing in historical gaps --even if years transpire :)

And I want to read about tital waves in Alaska when I am stuck on a platform in the middle of Cook Inlet!at least the ice is light enough to not shake you out of your rack when it strikes the legs...

My take on it is that Sealion Murphy was rousting bears from their dens to get them out and "legal" for being hunted. Think about rousting a sleeping bear from its den. Once that bear has been roused and annoyed enough to come out of the den, it is not going to simply look around and wonder who had come calling. A pissed off bear is not a critter you can reason with or get away from easily. A charging pissed off bear is the likely outcome of "bear thumping". Bears, like most animals, are territorial and do not like having anyone or anything get in their space. Assuming Sealion Murphy got clear of the bear, when it came out of the den, pardon the pun, that bear was "loaded for bear" and looking to get rid of whomever had invaded its space, and was not asking questions as to who had rousted it. My guess is Sealion Murphy had his sons standing by with guns ready. When the "thumped" bear came out of its den, pissed off and looking to take care of whomever had bothered it, Murphy's sons were also -pardon the pun- literally loaded for bear. The bear succumbed to lead poisoning with a likely side order of copper. Murphy and his sons likely field dressed the bear, called it their meat supply and probably skinned the bear to sell the pelt for people wanting a rug.

There was no humor in this business of "bear thumping", unlike "cow tipping". A pissed off bear coming out of its den to settle the score with whomever was handy is a whole lot different than tipping dairy cows. Sealion Murphy, aside from having his own private death wish borne out of his grief, probably had a screw or two loose and justified the "bear thumping" by saying it was one way to lay in a supply of meat and realize some cash money from the sale of the pelt and claws (or maybe the gall bladder to the Chinese traditional remedy makers). Obviously, Mr. Sealion Murphy came damned close to getting all of his just deserts from a pissed off bear, and got plenty enough as it were. I have this vision of Mr. Sealion Murphy crawling headfirst into a bear den, with one of his sons holding onto his legs outside the den. The other son has a rifle at the ready. Timing is everything. Murphy gets the bear roused and as soon as the bruin begins to move out of the den, Murphy likely hollered to his son to pull him out and be quick about it. The son hauls Murphy out, feet first, followed by the bear. As soon as enough of the bear is out of the den to "be legal" or give some kind of shot to the other son, that son shoots the bear. Of course, the son doing the shooting has to have a heavy enough rifle and a good enough shot to put the bear right down or Murphy and his sons would be history. Putting down a bear of the size and type found in Alaska takes a heavy caliber firearm and a well placed shot. A wounded bear is more likely, and a wounded bear is probably worse yet than a bear simply roused from its slumbers. Murphy got what he had coming to him from the bears, and if he thumped and was responsible for the killing of any number of bears previously, he got off easy.

The image I have of the whole bear thumping thing is kind of like a cartoon. Murphy schemes to kill a bear, and rather than do it during the hunting season in a more normal manner, schemes to do it by rousting a bear in its den. This is something he can't do alone, so enlists his two sons. He tells one son: "When I go into the den, you grab onto my legs. When I holler, pull me out as quick as you can." He then tells the other son: "You stand off to this side of the entrance to the den. As soon as your brother pulls me clear, that bear is gonna come out of the den. You make damned sure to shoot the bear and not me or your brother." So, Murphy wriggles into the bear den, pokes, prods, and makes enough of an annoyance that the slumbering bear rouses. Timing is everything. Murphy has to be sure the bear is sufficiently roused and pissed off enough to come out of the den. If he bails out of the den too soon, the bear is apt to turn over and keep on sleeping. If he hangs around the den too long in rousting the bear, he winds up the worse for wear or dead. Similarly, Murphy's sons have to have their act choreographed so Murphy comes out of the den unscathed and the bear winds up dead instead of the other way round.

Murphy proved that Karma works- the bears caught up with him and left him alive and walking proof of what happens when you enter a bear den and piss off the bear. It brings back a memory of a local fellow and how karma caught up with him. This guy seemed to be perpetually angry, kind of like a coiled spring. He made plenty of money in his business, so every couple of years, would take his wife and go on what he called a "safari" in Africa. In actuality, it was more of a "canned hunt" or a "feed and shoot" deal. This guy would pay large sums of money to shoot various animals for no other reason than a trophy for his wall- if he could bring home a head. His culminating hunt was when he paid quite a sum of money to kill an elephant. I remember asking him why he found it necessary to travel halfway around the world to kill an elephant, an animal with a highly developed social structure that did no harm. He gave me some half assed BS answer, and all he took home were photos, since it was illegal to import ivory or much else from the elephant into the US. That guy proved that karma works. A few years after his killing the elephant, along with all the other trophy animals he'd killed, he met his own end in a similar manner. He was mowing his property on a tractor with a trailing mower driven by a PTO shaft. It was a nice new tractor and mower. When the fellow failed to come in for lunch, his wife sent their boy to see what was up. The boy found his father sitting in a slumped position on a tree stump, dead. The whole back of his head had been blown off. It turned out a universal joint on the PTO driveshaft had blown apart. Whether he had nailed a rock of stump cut off close to the ground is unknown. The plastic guard on the U joint did nothing to stop the shrapnel when that joint let go. A chunk of the U joint nailed the guy in the back of his head as he sat on the tractor. He apparently shut off the tractor and made it to the stump to sit down, where he died.

Some of us called it karma. This fellow had gone into the habitat of animals on another continent, probably paid for a canned hunt where the animals were lured in with food, and shot them with high powered rifles in ways that left him with a trophy head. He got his in a very similar manner, mowing his property and unsuspecting, got the back of his head blown away. As some of us put it: he learned what the animals he shot had experienced and died in a like manner. Most of us who hunt do so only to take an animal we are going to eat and make use of such as deer, or to put down animals doing damage such as coyotes. The idea of trophy hunting and canned hunts is something repugnant to most of us, so when that fellow got his from the U joint, we called it karma.

Murphy may well have been hunting bears for survival, laying in a meat supply rather than being a trophy hunter like the guy in my area. However, there are safer ways to hunt bears than rousting them out of a deep sleep in their dens. Murphy had some other motive beyond simple subsistence hunting and karma caught up with him.

In the not very distant past guns were very uncommon in Alaska and bear thumping had a lot more to do with feeding your hungry family than might be readily apparent from the modern perspective. Of course now every jackass has more guns than they can possibly need or use, Including myself.

The Great Quake by Henry Fountain is probably the most succinct story of the quake and includes many firsthand stories from those affected including the Kompkoffs of Chenega. I know personally many Kompkoffs and they are fine people. Chenega after the wave was evacuated to the nearby town of Cordova some 90 miles away by water. there aren't any roads. In the decades after the evacuation the people of Chenga struggled, they where not only from a different town but also from a different "tribe" and they did not fit in or feel comfortable elsewhere. Having also lost over half of their population and family made life extremely hard. Theirs was a subsistence way of life. I don't think that any of you understands what that actually means but the closest I can come to explaining it might be to comparing it to "poor" Appalachia, living completely on what they could get from the land and sea, no money, no economy, no backup.

Today the site of Chenega is a memorial I try to visit every year. New Chenega is on Evans Island thirty miles away and was started in the '80's

Here in Valdez many people also died, most on the City Dock that collapsed with the rest of the waterfront. That story was repeated all over south central Alaska.

As a quick example of the physical affect of the Quake. A block of the earth here in Prince William Sound of nearly 20,000 square miles tilted... One corner of it, Montague Island (10 miles x 60 miles) rose up over forty feet and moved laterally a hundred or more while the opposite side near anchorage dropped ten or more feet

It's not a day we here like to remember and cannot forget even for those of like myself who were not born yet.
My family arrived here in '67 but my Aunt Rose Ann was in Anchorage at the time and left soon after.

Like Natural Disasters Every where the human toll is soon forgotten by all those not immediately affected, Places like Puerto Rico and the wild fires in California and now the floods in the midwest. world wide really.
Even worse are the manmade disasters like the tailings dam collapse in Brazil recently that killed hundreds. The financial news accounts focussing on the disruption of world iron markets and losses to investors never once mentioning the horror of thousands of people losing their families.

:(
Sad/depressed people don't think rationally. It doesn't sound like his goal was to piss off a bear, it was to put himself in a position that he'd feel a lot of pain.

I've never been through that much trauma enough to comprehend it, but I could imagine his boys knowing what he was going through seeing him crawl into another hole and trying to pull him out in time. You can't stop those you love from doing "dumb" things. You can only be there for them.

I seriously doubt that he was just there to tempt fate. That story from a bartender told by a man in a bar just doesn't wash. going into dens was and is a legitimate and legal way of hunting bears.

I seriously doubt that he was just there to tempt fate. That story from a bartender told by a man in a bar just doesn't wash. going into dens was and is a legitimate and legal way of hunting bears.

So if he was so "down & out" to do this....How did get money to "be sitting in a bar" ?

Your tax dollars at work....

Back