Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default single point lift------B-18 jig borer

Moore notes in manual for G-18---predecessor of B-18---eyelet in
    top casting of G-18
    thread is 1 in-8tpi so I installed bolt, washer, jam nut and lift sleeve/shackle and moved borer a few feet--no problem

single lift point on any precision machine is rare---but this unit is perfectly balanced and the 1.75 inch thread engagement in machine frame appears adequate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1234.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quite an undertaking. I love my Moore #3, and don’t understand the fuss most make about them. They are fantastic machines, quick, versatile, and will mill better than any R8 Series I that I have ever run.

I sure would love it to have a 30 Erickson quick change spindle.

My Moore is a 60’s vintage, and when working on it the first thing that struck me was the amount of aluminum, or some form of alloy, that they used.

The second is the incredible quality.

When I bought my Moore I called Moore to ask about parts and service. The gentleman was very nice, helpful, but somewhat teasing in the fact that they would help but I couldn’t afford it. He also said I was about 20 years late. Last time they were acquired they cleaned the facilities. He said several NOS Moore #3’s along with TONS of parts were dropped in scrap hoppers. I think he said they filled several of the semi truck sized.

3. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Quite an undertaking. I love my Moore #3, and don’t understand the fuss most make about them. They are fantastic machines, quick, versatile, and will mill better than any R8 Series I that I have ever run.

I sure would love it to have a 30 Erickson quick change spindle.

My Moore is a 60’s vintage, and when working on it the first thing that struck me was the amount of aluminum, or some form of alloy, that they used.

The second is the incredible quality.

When I bought my Moore I called Moore to ask about parts and service. The gentleman was very nice, helpful, but somewhat teasing in the fact that they would help but I couldn’t afford it. He also said I was about 20 years late. Last time they were acquired they cleaned the facilities. He said several NOS Moore #3’s along with TONS of parts were dropped in scrap hoppers. I think he said they filled several of the semi truck sized.

my initial plan was to grind spindle socket to 30 erickson-- with drawbar
    given the precision of the factory taper socket there is little liklihood
    my grind effort would yield axial and radial nominal tolerance equivalent to oem

so--current plan is to grind new iso 30 tooling to Moore socket half angle of 7 deg 56 min 56 sec--

the B-18 spindle will still require gundrilling to metric 10 mm drawbar clearance--

and if I come across bargain moore tooling--the machine will function
    as built with modification of square thread seating tool in taper will require amputation with toolholder tapped for 10 mm drawbar--this should allow
    bidirectional tool rotation without backout

also planning on adding servo motor cog belt to hand crank quill feed for full 3 axis motion

we will never again witness this level of quality in US sourced tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1235.jpg   100_1236.jpg   100_1237.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default taper toolholder grinding

not much available on this topic as small shop undertaking--even oem's
    in videos do not disclose much

a few points connected with conversion of iso 30 taper tooling to Moore jig borer compatible--

my initial attempt at reproducing 7.95 degree taper of Moore tool shank was workhead swivel--this did not allow use of tailstock dead center--a necessary
    feature for best outcome

I am using iso 30 er 32 toolholders--new--good chinese quailty

my initial error was gripping 30 toolholder by ground circumferential od and
    using that for indicated reference for all other metrics--mistake leading to egg shaped taper grind---I then chucked carbide 3/4 end mill for gripping in collet and 8 in Buck adjust tru--better but the 8 in Buck was replaced with 6 in Buck with good --less than 0.001 in runout

32 er collets require nut torque of 80 lb/ft--important to maintain part to part repeatability

workhead was set back to 0 degree pinned position and swivel table rotated 7.95 deg as indicated by Moore 1/2 in toolholder indicator sweep

then 30 factory toolholder gripped in 6 in Buck and tail center engaged

wheelhead was swung 7 deg to allow way cover clearance during x axis traverse

pics show initial workhead swivel followed by table swivel

video---Moore B-18 tool socket documenting large relief band between upper and lower ground engaging surfaces--also note internal thread holding Moore tool in taper

YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1241.jpg   100_1243.jpg   100_1246.jpg   100_1249.jpg   100_1250.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default taper toolholder grinding-- a few thoughts

so I am using 30 taper iso tooling from China--good quality and holders are factory balanced to 20K rpm

to balance these holders an eccentric circumferential grind appears to be employed rather than typical drill pecking for spot balancing--my initial mistake was to grip holder in 3 jaw with contact occurring on ground band just above threads--constant inconsistency with runout always 0.002 in minimum

when ground carbide rod 3/4 in was used in 3 jaw runout dropped to no more than 4 tenths--tailstock engagement increased runout a couple tenths

so my first 30 toolholder grind was executed with holder gripped by 3 jaw just above nut threads--predictably the result was poor

second attempt on new holder relied upon clamping carbide rod in er32 collet and tailstock dead center
    nice result with dykem blue confirming consistent contact with Moore taper socket engagement --no socket wobble --cannot calibrate runout until Moore spindle is drilled for drawbar--3o taper tooling requires 12 mm drawbar

process conclusions---

big diameter carbide rod in toolholder tightened to maximum torque with adjust tru tuning gave 4 tenths runout

30 iso taper is 8.30 degree while Moore taper is 7.95 deg--this is table setting

small end diameter is the metric used to gage grind progress--most importantly--3 to 5 % additive nominal dimension measurement must to used as endpoint using measurements derived from Moore toolholder

if you use as endpoint measured or blueprint values as spected by Moore --
    overgind unusable tool will result

reason is spindle socket measurements are all but impossible to obtain--but this is a 40 year old tool with significant use and socket dimensions will be expected to be greater than oem

small end diameter of Moore holders 0.615 in --my measurement
    when I ground to 0.640 in the 30 tooling provided excellent fit no wobble--and if necessary --additional metal for removal

small end taper measurements are all that are necessary---if grind angle is correct the big taper end will seat in satisfactory fashion--as verified by tool blue

pics illustrate Moore holder on left, overground bad result adjacent, good ground 30 holder and unground oem 30 holder right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2787.jpg   100_2786.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get's a bit damp in your shop eh?

8. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post