What's new
What's new

OT: Snow & Lombard's and other things

Terry Harper

Cast Iron
The other day Herb and I headed over to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum to have a bit of a "work" day. While we did get a lot done it sure didn't feel like work. First order of business was installing the new distributor in the "Green Goddess" At some point the shaft had been turned down on the original and the bushings were shot so redemption was not forth coming. I found a "new" old unit dating from the 1940's. Once I got the cosmoline off it proved to be perfect!

With that installed (along with new plugs) the beast fired-up and settled into a nice steady purr. We still have some popping going on which I believe could be the carb out of whack or a intake manifold leak (according to the 1920's Dykes Automotive Encyclopedia)

After working up a good sweat shoveling out the doors to the Lombard bay we decided to take a tour of the museum grounds. Steering was a bit of an issue - there was a thick crust and about 12 inches of snow with the underlying ground covered with a thick layer of ice. As such the front wheels just wanted to plow on some of the tighter turns. My arms and shoulders got a good work out!

With the thermometer registering a balmy 10 degrees and having been dormant for over two months we were surprised when the dump truck fired on the first roll. Unfortunately in the scramble to open the choke I fumbled and hit the mag switch. Anyway, once warmed-up we ran up the road a ways.

Hopefully, soon we will have a set of skis for the green beast so we can really have some fun in the snow!Back a few months ago we completed a set of shop drawings for the skis. We are hoping the Mechanical Engineering Technology students at the University of Maine will take the project on as a capstone project.We also made a 1/4 scale model to inspire and generate interest (and funding)

Assembly Drawing.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Another project that is moving forward is the long desired Lombard road and a concrete floor for the Lombard bay. With funding in place, thanks to a generous grant, we have spent the last month or so in planning. Here are some images taken from the Infraworks model developed by one of my students. We hiked the proposed route on Thursday and it looks great!
148225450_1161181940992864_6981605093786730162_o.jpg

148181736_1161181984326193_3309334742386796769_o.jpg

And last... Don Johnson generously donated a 40 hp Lathrop T-head marine engine. This particular engine came out of a boom jumper boat used by Ed Lacroix's Madawaska Co. at Churchill Lake and Eagle Lake. Its a little worse for wear but is remarkably complete.

20201023_123757.jpg

All good fun right?

Best regards,
Terry

Back