What's new
What's new

ot---Soviet muscle

One of the clearest videos on bevel gear generation that I've seen.
Hmm. It could have been, if he'd backed away from the cutters a little to show how the part and the cutterhead rotate together to generate the teeth ... there was about ten seconds of that, at least.

But I have to wonder what the hell they were doing ? It looked like, instead of doing rough and finish, they were gingerly going around several times, taking multiple finish passes ? It was going slow as hell and not taking off any metal. Gleasons smoke when they work.

During roughing, bevel generators go straight in and take off big chunks, fast. For finishing the cutterhead and the part roll together but they still go a hell of a lot faster than in this video, and take off more metal. This generator looked equivalent to a Gleason 24 but they were pussyfooting it like a 3" machine.

Maybe we can talk Dan from Oakland into making a video of how it's supposed to be done :)

Hmm. It could have been, if he'd backed away from the cutters a little to show how the part and the cutterhead rotate together to generate the teeth ... there was about ten seconds of that, at least.
Toward the end of the video, there was a pretty good section where you could see the cutterhead and workhead rotation together with a couple of tooth indexes.

When I read the title, I thought it was one of these experiments:

cyborg.jpg

As always an interesting find Jholland. I don't know how you keep finding what you do but my sincere thanks your willing to do so and then post links here.

From a home shop perspective some years ago I got curious and spent more than a few days plugging various terms into Google Translate and then doing searches for non English machining websites and forums. French, Italian, German, Dutch etc. There's an unbelievable amount of information and extremely detailed projects and builds going on all over the world that searches using English will never turn up. It's extremely slow to do this and most of the hits don't seem to turn up much that's worthwhile. Youtube might be no different. I did watch one last year in Russian that I very much wish I could re-find to post it here where he did extensive testing on what looked to be a fair sized good condition 18" - 20" swing heavy duty Russian built? lathe with indicators and then added force diagrams showing some important amounts of deflection in various lathe parts under average cutting loads where most including myself wouldn't think they would be. Knowing maybe two words in Russian didn't help, but most of it was still quite understandable. It was more than eye opening for what he was showing. Unfortunately for web sites and forums Google Translate doesn't do that well with a lot of technical terms, most of it can still be figured out if you know enough. Doing searches in Japanese, Korean or Chinese would probably turn up a whole lot more than I first found. But that's well past my limited computer skills.

Back