What's new
What's new

---ot----traction engine rescue

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
vintage Best model 185 rescued by cat 518 skidder

30 years ago I had similar size skidder--- Franklin Tree Farmer model 170
rolled it first week of ownership--Carco brand winch of no value in up side down machine--

had D-7 size Terex dozer brought in to upright skidder-=--machine had new owner within 7 days---tracklayers from then on :)

YouTube

I chased 518s all over Vermont and New Hampshire, The older ones had the Carco winch that would rust up. Then Cat came out with their own winch with its own issues :(
Went from 518s to workin on D 343 in Madille 009 tower slider in South East Alaska....we bump em up to 525 hp and watch the smoke roll, could not even spell teir 4 emission back then....

Nice video, but that's not much of a hill eh ?

I was going to suggest adding bolt on angle iron grousers like seen on other TE's.

However, seeing the location, and the "top heavy-ness" of said TE, good to keep her "out of trouble".

My how things have changed in the woods.

Been reading about TigerCat and their work with steep incline work....Yikes.
Advances the idea of steep logging.

Adding a rear hook to a processor, and tying it off to a d-9 at the top of the hill.
Steep Slope Logging | New Zealand | Cable Assist Logging | Tigercat

Steep Slope Logging | Cable Assist Logging | Tethered Logging | Tigercat

How to keep the oil flowing in the engine ?
Extra deep, round sump ?
3 pump full scavenging system ?

Wagner skidders and Hyster winches are built nearby at Allied Systems. They regularly replace cabs on brand new machines when they topple down hills.

The Hyster winches are pretty amazing. They've done some tests where they dig 2 pits and bury 2 brand new dozers back to back and hook them up with oversize cable and let them pull until something gives. The inch+ cable lets loose and the winches are still like new. They also have a very steep railroad track where they will run a load on wheels up and down for weeks straight to find the week point.

Any of you other northwest guys see the old skidder on craigslist that was built out an M4 Sherman tank? It was a good buy at 10 cents a pound.

Back