What's new
What's new

ot---- Turtle Mountain Ordnance Plant 1952

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
in 1952 a cooperative venture teaming Dept of Defense, Bulova Watch and the Turtle Mountain Tribe of Chippewa Indians began production of synthetic ruby/sapphire dimensioned jewels for precision military time pieces, radiation dosimeters, and aircraft instruments

around 1.5 million jewels / year were produced for value added production and storage in national stockpiles

the facility was renamed William Langer Jewel Bearing Plant and today houses Microlap Technologies

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 321.jpg
    321.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 654.jpg
    654.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 787.jpg
    787.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 253
2---------------------------------------------

Attachments

• 0987.JPG
    0987.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 0989.jpg
    0989.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 3211.jpg
    3211.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 09887.jpg
    09887.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 789789.jpg
    789789.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 263
nice one, which brings up the question, what instrumentation still uses a jeweled bearing out of necessity? obviously, mechanical watches still do, but is there an application where digital displays CAN'T replace a jeweled movement or indicator? severe EMP resistance? purely mechanical backup? seismograph? (tho that can't be strictly by necessity I'd think)

I was going to say chemical balance scale, but IIRC all the ones we used in school used a knife edge wedge on a flat surface rather than a jewel pivot.

Interesting. Did they make the raw crystals as well?
One example of modern use of synthetic sapphire is cell phone camera lenses.
Ruby bearings are essential for fine mechanical instrumentation which is why they were a serious national security issue during WW2 where they had to be smuggled in from Switzerland. I'm guessing that this company was started shortly after the war in response to our dependence upon Switzerland.

Other uses for jewels, which continue into the present day, would include the pivot "bearings" for some dial indicators. In addition, some lab grade analog meters use jewelled pivots.

I appreciate this thread as I wear a Hamilton 992 pocket watches as my everyday watch. I have three (3) Hamilton 992's, and over the years these have required repair and regulation. These are lever-set railroad pocket watches with jewelled movements. Some few years ago, my wife dropped the stainless cased 992 (case made by an old toolmaker friend) on a hard ceramic tile floor. It broke the staff and some other damage was done. The local Bulova trained watchmaker said he was too old to work on my 992, nor could he get parts. I was in despair, and the members of this 'board saved the day. Miss Emma Jade, a contributor from Australia, referred me to "Historic Timekeepers, Inc", in Maryland. Mr. Dewitt Clark, the owner of HTI, is a very accomplished horologist and has a machine shop for making tooling as well as smaller machine tools for making actual watch parts. I've been sending my pocket watches to Mr. Clark ever since.

In 2007, I tangled up with two deer while riding home from the powerplant one evening on my Harley. I wound up with a small broken bone in my hand, no road rash, no bruising, no sprains nor strains. Unfortunately, my Hamilton 992 stainless cased watch did not fare so well. I took it to the local watchmaker- the Bulova trained guy. He repaired the watch, and it ran fine for a few years until my wife dropped it on the laundry room floor. This is when I was introduced to Historic Timekeepers, Inc.

Mr. Clark repaired my 992, and in the process let me know the local watchmaker had done less than a good job when he repaired it after my motorcycle accident. Apparently, the local guy did not have the correct jewel, or maybe had the wrong staff, so used a jewel to fit that pivot. Either way, the local guy had "cemented" an incorrect jewel into place. That the watch ran and kept time says a lot for his cob-job repair as well for Hamilton's 992 movements.

Mr. Clark sent me the jewel he removed when he returned my watch after repairing it. He said he had a supply of New-Old-Stock Hamilton jewels, but, if need arose, could fit another jewel correctly. Seeing the jewel he removed in a little plastic envelope made me aware of just how small these parts are. Knowing how hard rubies are, as well as the small size of the jewels and the degree of precision required got me to wondering how the jewels were made. This thread at least shows the facility for making the jewels. There is a nice old film which has been made into a youtube about the Illinois Watch Company's factory and the manufacture of mechanical watches. That film, as well as a shorter advertising film made by Hamilton, show just how small some of the parts in a mechanical watch movement are.

Some of the screws used were so small that tens-of-thousands of them would fill a tablespoon. The screws which hold the cup with the jewel into the plate of a watch are quite small, but not quite so small as the ones shown in that example. The making of the jewel cups and the taking or rolling-over of the edge of the cup to hold the jewel is shown in this film. I do not recall seeing the making of the actual jewels in this film. If natural stones such as rubies were used for the jewels, would the same sort of process as diamond cutting have been used ? I.E., reading the raw stone for cleavage planes and cutting to create small "blanks" from which the jewels were then shaped ? Would diamond cutting tools have been used to shape the jewels and create the holes for the pivots ?

Over the years, I've sent my watches to Mr. Clark, and he takes great care to repair them in the best possible way. I have a 1920's Hamilton 992 which a locomotive engineer buddy gave me many years ago. It needed repair, and Mr. Clark made a point of using NOS Hamilton parts, including a NOS Hamilton jewel. I sent my buddy's pocket watches along with one of my own to Mr. Clark for repair, and he is finishing up work on my buddy's Hamilton pocket watch which is said to be a fairly rare model. Mr. Clark called me to tell me whomever had worked on that watch was a hacker, and he was having to make some parts as well as using NOS Hamilton parts.

I enjoy wearing a "real" watch in the form of a Hamilton pocket watch. Teaching a class in introductory precision measurement at the local community college last year, I opened the course with a history of measurement and how precision measurement evolved. I made a point of opening the back of my Hamilton watch to show the class that in the pre-CNC era, highly precise small mechanisms were mass produced and worked reliably and accurately enough to prevent train wrecks. With people getting the time off their phones, even the wearing of a throw-away digital watch is becoming obsolete. Mechanical watches are more the province of the collectors, or the well-to-do people who buy some high end mechanical watch like a Rolex or similar. I am something of a stubborn and proud dinosaur in many ways, so wearing a mechanical pocket watch is something natural for me. I do not take the movement in my watch nor the work to repair and adjust it for granted. Sadly, most people nowadays have no knowledge of what a mechanical watch is, and I think that being able to "tell time" on an "analog" clock or watch may even be a skill that is fading away.

the Turtle Mountain --Langer facility never grew its own aluminum oxide
crystals
audit conducted by Inspector General Dept of Defense --1990---indicates
corundum crystal sourcing to always have been foreign suppliers

pics indicate slicing machines for crystals likely supplied as 2 inch rod diameter

surprise recommendation of OIG analysis---shut down facility and purchase finished
product at a cost 75% less than expense necessary to keep the Langer facility open

Northrop Corp was largest volume purchaser with jewels destined for gyroscope and MX missle hydraulic systems

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 908.jpg
    908.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 59
Waterjet equipment uses so-called "jewels" including diamond ones to produce different diameters of jets. They are available in different internal diameters and are not used as bearings but look just like watch bearings.

I think just about all instrument and watch "jewel" bearings have been made from lab grown crystals since about the 20s? (synthetic corundum process invented in 1902 by Verneuil) The cutting of natural aluminum oxide (ruby, sapphire) which was used before that,(along with other natural gem materials) never to my knowledge extensively (if at all) utilized "cleaving".
that is somewhat specific to diamonds. diamonds are both very difficult to cut by other means, and also because of their hardness are often found with the orientation of the crystal intact allowing an accurate determination of the cleavage planes.

also, many other crystalline materials are more likely to shatter unpredictably rather than cleave neatly along predictable planes. why that is I can't tell you precisely , but it's related to the atomic structure.

graphite is a crystalline form of carbon that can function as a lubricant because it "cleaves" allowing atomic scale "flakes' of carbon crystals to slide past one another.

I was very lucky to spend about an hour with the president of the American Swiss Jewel Company in his office on Chestnut st here in Philly. I had sent an email asking about small quailty of jewels for a bimetalic strip thermometer i was building and got a reply from the prez asking if i would trade looking at a clock in his office in exchange for my jewel order.
Of course i said yes. Turns out he is the grandson of the founder and has a very nice 3 train Comtoise clock in his office.
Very nice guy, after spending some time with the clock we sat and he told me about the history of the company and gave me a piece of a broken raw ruby stock ( a bort? ). It is very brittle and chips and breaks like glass or flint.
I wonder why the Americans never bothered to grow their own crystals?

Elgin Watch Co. did make sapphire boules and various finished products from them during and after WWII.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-sapphire-tipt-micrometer-111487/#post3507193

The Levin lathe company, originally Louis Levin and Son, Los Angeles, published a book titled Practical Benchwork for Horologists by Louis and Samuel Levin in 1938. It is a treasure. Beginning with the third edition (1944), there is a very informative section on how watch jewels are made, with lots of pictures of the machines. It should satisfy your curiosity about the details of making jewel bearings.

Jewel bearings were used in many watches at least as far back as the 18th century. End stones for the visible top bearing on balance staffs were diamonds with faceted tops and a flat bottom bearing surface and may have mostly been for show. The best early cylinder escapements used a tiny ruby or sapphire tube with one side cut away. By the mid-19th century, relatively inexpensive lever escapement watches were mass-produced in America and England with natural sapphire hole jewels. The roller jewels in the lever escapement were tiny sapphire rods with a flat side.

I think it was in 1961 that I took a course in gems. The text was Gems and Gem Materials by Kraus. I have not read it lately, but I am sure it had a section on manufactured gemstones.

Larry

Back