What's new
What's new

OT - Vincent Black Shadow

Thanks Jim, interesting story about Mad Jack. those Vincents sure were beautiful machines. I couldn't help but think that Rollie Free could have gone faster at Bonneville if he wasn't hindered by the wind resistance of his giant testicles...Jim

I had the opportunity to buy a Vincent Black Shadow in 1975, 3000.00 was a lot of money, I had it though, I could have bought it but I bought a BSA Rocket 3 instead.. Can you say dumbass?

I had the opportunity to buy a Vincent Black Shadow in 1975, 3000.00 was a lot of money, I had it though, I could have bought it but I bought a BSA Rocket 3 instead.. Can you say dumbass?

I had the chance to buy an absolutely mint Triumph XR75 Hurricane in the late 80's. They owner was moving back to England and wanted $4k for it.

I had the money but didn't buy it, it would be worth 5x-10x that now

Whan I was living in the UK I used to ride from Aylesbury to Southampton most Friday nights. I had a Honda 400/4 with a yoshimurs 460 kit and 1/2 race camshaft, so it was a pretty quick bike, but handled very well.

A Black Shadow went by on one of the roads at a good clip, so I tucked in behind him, for a few miles we were doing an indicated 100, at which point he opened up and left me for dust, before that I could keep up on the fast corners, although I was getting to my comfort limit, it was evident the Vincent was handling the undulating and bumpy roads better than my 400/4.

Theres always a caveat with motorbikes ...if ya didnt crash it......and if ya didnt kill yourself.......The old guys buying these things now are too old to even push them,not that you would risk it.......What pisses me ,is I cant ride an old bike anywhere now without morons following me ,thinking I dont know what its worth ,or straight out an opportunity to steal it........Incidentally ,an aside from my brother.."Vincents are now the most stolen antique bike,and often the target of armed home invaders"....Her indoors is worried about the kind of lowlifes Harley knuckleheads attract.....her advice ...sell before were done in for a silly old bike.

A friend of mine has a nice old BSA his dad parked in the garage ages ago. The dad passed away and as they cleared out his collection of old cadillacs and whatnot, several of the purchasers <really> wanted the BSA (which they are keeping- to eventually restore perhaps). Wouldn't catch me dead on one of those old bikes and I don't understand the attraction, late 1990's motorcycles (or vehicles in general) is my limit. OTOH, I love old machine tools.. so thats kind of weird.

I spoke to a fellow a while ago about bikes he had, apparently he bought a new Vincent copy from france, they apparently offer stroker engines and any tune in the bike.
All bikes get sent airfreight as well, so you want to be cashed up.

I did ask him the price but i forget now what he said he paid. would have to ring him to find out who made it.

there is this place as well. MOTORCYCLES — IRVING VINCENT

In 72, they were worth about $1200, which is what I paid. A Sportster new then was about $1500 out the door. A hot Sportster would kick a Vincent's butt but definitely not as cool. Sounds better, too. That two-into-one sounds like shit. And it's hard to get many ponies with only 3/8" valve lift, which is all you can get because of the design. Vincents are cool in some ways but not so impressive, performance-wise. Big engine loafing makes for nice touring but the "so fast Vincent !" myth is baseless. Your Rocket 3 was probably faster.

Although you bought it new in 1975 ? Didn't they go broke in 74 ? If so, yes, that wasn't the best of all ideas :)

Richard-Thompson--1952+Vincent+Black+Lightning
It would have been a better song if he'd known that Vincents don't have keys.

Stupid fuck.

A Black Shadow went by on one of the roads at a good clip, so I tucked in behind him, for a few miles we were doing an indicated 100, at which point he opened up and left me for dust
He should have, high-geared 1000 cc vs a 400 four, and those were not famous for power or speed, either. And they had weak cranks. Adorable bikes tho. Whoop whoop whoop, 10,000 rpm :)

it was evident the Vincent was handling the undulating and bumpy roads better than my 400/4.
No, he just had bigger balls. Vincents are okay for smooth high-speed touring but they don't really handle well. They sproing up and down in the middle, which feels weird, the wheels are too big to turn in fast, and the worst of all, they don't shift. I ran one at Sears and Ontario and Riverside, which taught me that myths and reality don't mix. Even putting the engine into an XR frame couldn't fix the shifting .... ended up getting a real race bike.

... I had a Honda 400/4 with a yoshimurs 460 kit and 1/2 race camshaft, so it was a pretty quick bike, but handled very well....

Small secret: I've been examining local listings for a 400-4 for quite some time. Like I need another bike, but those motors look like a tiny bit of jewelery.

I..., he just had bigger balls.....

It's not really the ride, it's the rider, so true. Top speed on all my bikes is basically the same, from the 26 hp one to the 75 hp one. Public roads are public roads, and also my licence is clean these days and I'd like to keep it that way. Cops are back out on the roads again - the free-for-all that existed at the beginning of the pandemic comes to an end.

Jim Rozen, your inbox is full. I tried to Pm...

For the right price this CB400F could be yours:
96714a086456acc9c9df398783ae9d9a.jpg

0b056ef379a30f5a9101a05d6abc5e72.jpg

da13c6e1d8d661e7b42a48208b954b68.jpg

2421813270f5c8bdcf4ca97def89888f.jpg

I think the only things on the bike that didn’t come from the Honda factory are the grips.

I’m moving and downsizing... especially the projects that I haven’t gotten to. This one isn’t much of a project... it needs tires and gone through and likely not much more. I put it up for long-term storage, fuel system was drained, tank piled etc. I can’t promise it’ll start first kick, but it shouldn’t take much.

If anyone wants something... a bit more stimulating if also got this guy:
d9674185a7d9ecb79aca046fc8e1f367.jpg

8acd08c7291ec63e4ff1dd632d27fd30.jpg

ef3002c64f21d6c6e176e9af0864e5c2.jpg

Same deal, for the right price, it could be yours. The RZ isn’t as stock as it appears... beyond the Toomey expansion chambers, it’s also got an FZ600 swing arm, the wheels, forks and lower triple clamp are FJ600 and the upper triple came off an XJ600(50?) I’ve got everything to convert it back to stock, including a good set of factory, catalyst-equipped pipes as well as a nearly complete second engine. Plenty of spares and NOS stuff to round it out.

I apologize, I know this ain’t the classified section and this isn’t a motor-sickle forum.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Back