What's new
What's new

OT: Wanted Sunbeam T20 toaster base

Billtodd

Titanium
Do any of our American friends have a old rusty/ non-functioning Sunbeam T20 toaster in their loft or garage?

I bought a 1958 T20C from ebay and the pillock vendor wrapped it so badly, that after its 3000+ miles trip across the pond, the base is in a hundred pieces (ebay guarantee is worthless as it'll cost me to ship a broken unit back!) .

I spent all day Saturday stripping the thing down, cleaning and piecing the base jigsaw together (badly) and have it working - It works beautifully, even after sixty two years (unlike myself), and makes great toast.

There are no spares on ebay hence my plea here . (I just need the base - and any T20 model will probably do)

For those not familiar with this piece of American Genius (on a par with moon landing and electric tooth brushes) :

YouTube

Cool. I mean hot.

Curious how reliable those toasters are - apart from idiot packing and damage en route? Is fatigue of the nichrome wire or ??? a common failure mode?

Last edited:
Well, mine's a t35....

99..jpg 99.jpg

Well, it's not the same model number... but it's the same thing, I'd say.

Still has the light green plastic cover that came with it. Was my grandmothers.

Not sure I'd want to turn loose of it, it's the only one I've got.

When I saw the picture, I thought to myself.. "that thing looks kinda like the one in the kitchen..."

I sure was surprised.

There are a lot of whole toasters available on eBay US for 30 to 100 bucks. With shipping, they end up being 40 bucks and up. Given that new Chinese toasters can be had for about half that, how much is having this model worth to you? I estimate the one below (advertised as a decorative piece, but it has the base) would cost you about 100 Euro. Worth it?

s-l1600.jpg

Bill: Thanks for posting this on PM. I knew that our toaster was old,since I purchased it at a house auction in the fall of 1965, just a few months before our wedding. I did purchase another years ago, at a flea market to repair. Had no success, so I pitched it. If I come across another, what would be a fair price for a non working but cosmetically good one.

JH

There are a lot of whole toasters available on eBay US for 30 to 100 bucks. With shipping, they end up being 40 bucks and up. Given that new Chinese toasters can be had for about half that, how much is having this model worth to you? I estimate the one below (advertised as a decorative piece, but it has the base) would cost you about 100 Euro. Worth it?

I'm already in for a hundred currency units ( i like toast) and have a very good condition, clean and working t20 , all i need is a new base.

what are the chances of a ebayer , with minimum price for broken unit , packing it well enough to make it here in one piece? Not great ?

Are they going to be willing or able to strip it down ? I doubt it.

One of you guys though, will be more than capable :-)

Billtodd,

I will send you the e mail contact for a friend that I'm sure can help.

He collects electric motors, fans and toasters and has an absolutely astounding collection on display filling the entire second floor of his antique shop.

I thought yours may be 100 years too new for him, but, he said he would be glad to help, so you may be in luck.

Mike

Hmmmm----I wonder if that Sunbeam comes in a 4 slice?
Is it wide enough for the occasional bagel?
There's a lot to think about before purchasing.

JW, who eats toast every morning.

Hmmmm----I wonder if that Sunbeam comes in a 4 slice?
Is it wide enough for the occasional bagel?
There's a lot to think about before purchasing.

JW, who eats toast every morning.

You want something to load up your RPC...Nothing like a toaster that runs on 600 vac 3 phase....

Back