What's new
What's new

Outside caliper with attached rule... for one hand operation?

rivett608

Diamond
I'm sure you have seen the drawings in the text books that show how to use a pair of calipers to take a measurement from a rule..... This a rare caliper has a built in rule..... after all calipers are used to transfer dimensions from rules so why not build one in....... Starrett made these for W. E. Trueant of Whitman, Mass under the Apr. 28 1903 F. A. Hatch patent. The rule is marked "The L. S. S. Co. Athol, Mass.". These never appeared in any catalogs but Starrett did give them a # 139 and showed them in a ad in Iron Trade Review in 1912 according to K. Cope's book which also states no examples known at the time of printing.... a small number have since been found.... Note: the rule's zero or starting point lines up with the end of the caliper leg..... anyway it is just one more kind of neat little machinists tool that is fun to pull out of the box and show folks.... and for a little self promotion.... these are on ebay (see link in classifieds)... I figured I had the pictures so why not post them

hatch1.jpg

hatch2.jpg

hatch3.jpg

hatch4.jpg

I always thought it was good idea and would have worked better with a curved rule. But I guess the original design with the curved rule was too expensive to make. It is adjustable for wear as shown in the patent drawings.

Trufant4.gif

Trufant3.jpg

.... ends later tonight.... and since I did have this ending during the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl (we can now see I'm not a big football fan) without knowing.... it failed to sell.... so it is back up with NO RESERVE. Thanks and somebody please buy this thing....

[ 02-05-2006, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: rivett608 ]

Bummer, I bid on it, and so did another bidder, but I had to be away from the PC (Not football) and neither of us hit the minimum.

I'll give it a try again in 6 days I guess!

I'm sure you have seen the drawings in the text books that show how to use a pair of calipers to take a measurement from a rule..... This a rare caliper has a built in rule..... after all calipers are used to transfer dimensions from rules so why not build one in....... Starrett made these for W. E. Trueant of Whitman, Mass under the Apr. 28 1903 F. A. Hatch patent. The rule is marked "The L. S. S. Co. Athol, Mass.". These never appeared in any catalogs but Starrett did give them a # 139 and showed them in a ad in Iron Trade Review in 1912 according to K. Cope's book which also states no examples known at the time of printing.... a small number have since been found.... Note: the rule's zero or starting point lines up with the end of the caliper leg..... anyway it is just one more kind of neat little machinists tool that is fun to pull out of the box and show folks.... and for a little self promotion.... these are on ebay (see link in classifieds)... I figured I had the pictures so why not post them

hatch1.jpg

hatch2.jpg

hatch3.jpg

hatch4.jpg

So this example is marked STARRETT ?

Is it marked with a PATENT, or HATCH, or TRUFANT ?

Hey SalemRule, look at the date on the posting that you initially replied to. It's from thirteen years ago. Even if cubtime100 is still a PM forum member, he probably won't remember.

Hey SalemRule, look at the date on the posting that you initially replied to. It's from thirteen years ago. Even if cubtime100 is still a PM forum member, he probably won't remember.

I'm pretty sure other contributors are still with us … :D

Back