What's new
What's new

P/W model B serial # location ?

jljim

Cast Iron
I down loaded the manual from the V/M site and it mentions a stamped brass plate but not where. I've cleaned the rear bed ways back for several inches and likewise the front. Lots of brass plates on this machine but no serial number. It's new enough to have tapered headstock bearings and a cam lock chuck, but I didn't find a war finish tag like some of my other machines. It was also fitted originally with a 2 speed motor. The brass plate below the gear change levers shows a hi and low speed rpm range. The P/O replaced the motor with a 3hp single phase motor. It's a 12x30 if that makes a difference. Thanks, Jimimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

All made right here - an industrial location that no longer exists - all non Photobucket images replaced near end of thread

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...disappearance-225278/?highlight=disappearance

Serial location:

Face of bed nearer tail stock end - more or less behind lead screw. About 2 X 4" bronze tag riveted on

Wonderful little lathe originally designed about 1920 - good enough to revive/improve for stop gap in WW2

There are only a few serials mentioned in serial book - 1521 for 1942 and 2200 for 1947

You can read about the 13" version from thirties here - Thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com...ttwhitney-circular402-model-b-lathes-1936.pdf

Last edited:
I had some time last night to do a lot more cleaning. Found the serial plate hiding behind the apron. #1142 makes it pre '41. Did some more site searching and found Mr Oder's excellent tutorial on threading with the Hendey lathe single tooth clutch, the P/W system looks about the same. Also found some discussions on the ever missing follower block for the taper attachment. Not ready to power it up yet, but turning over manually every thing seems ok. The only disappointment so far is the lack of a coolant sump cesspool that needs cleaned...... This lathe is going to replace my Sheldon R13 that I just sold, so it has big shoes to fill.

Back