What's new
What's new

P&W Newer model C feed reverse

Froneck

Titanium
I have the newer P&W model C 16" lathe, very similar to the older model but headstock is square. Other minor changes and up-grades but basically the same lathe. I noticed that when I use feed reverse in neutral the feed rod continues to turn though at a much slower rate. Thinking the syncro clutches are causing it I engaged the feed while in feed neutral. I could not stop the carriage by hand. Maybe if I strained hard I could have stopped it but didn't try. Next I set the feed stop, same thing happened, carriage didn't stop and continued to push the stop until the feed reversed and the carriage also reversed. I have been using the feed reverse as directed in the owners manual to not go directly into reverse but to stop in neutral so as to allow the syncros to work and thereby allowing me to shift into reverse at High speed. I tried it and at 1000RPM it works without a bang. Something I can't possibly do on my Hendey lathe. I haven't tried that when threading but see nothing that will change it. Is that normal? I looked in the manual but nothing is said.

Up Date

The other day I looked again at the problem, Put the lathe in threading with the fastest thread lead possible, reversing lever in neutral I was able to stop the carriage by holding onto the hand wheel, I let it run for a while holding the hand wheel, It then stopped turning with out me holding it, switched to reverse then to neutral and held the hand wheel until it too no longer moves in neutral. Changed to finest feed, It was difficult at first to stop the carriage by hand when in neutral but holding it a while it got easier, still does it but not when coming off reverse into neutral. So what I did was used neutral while feeding. I can see a definite slowing of the feed shaft when in neutral and additional slowing of the shaft when using feed, longer I used it the slower it got. Probably will stop when the friction clutch is polished. Lathe has bee sitting for quite a while unused.

Back