What's new
What's new

Pacemaker 16” x 54”

jermfab

Cast Iron
I guess talk me out of... or in to... this lathe

I have a lathe. It’s nothing special, but it runs 40-2000 RPM, has tooling and is quite frankly more accurate than most of my requirements. It does everything I need a lathe to do. It’s got a DRO...

It doesn’t have that much soul.

There’s American-made and there’s AMERICAN!!!

From the eBay pics:
5c6088dfc462d4e3e0e8fe64301ca1eb.jpg

676b3d79a57827ba1de651b125da899c.jpg

Medium-speed/1500 RPM model. Ad says it doesn’t come with the tool post, doesn’t mention the center. 10” three-jaw, 12” four-jaw.

Biggest Con is no taper attachment.

I imagine the the tail-stock is MT4. I’ll have to buy some MT3-4 adaptor sleeves.

I have a spare Dorian BXA tool-post and lots of BXA holders. BXA is likely a little bit small, but as with the tail-stock, I can make this machine work, straightaway, albeit maybe not to its FULL potential.

I really don’t need two lathes.

But this one doesn’t look like much of a project.

The lathe isn’t free... it’s 150+/- miles from me... probably 12-16 hours time and $2500 all told to go get it.

I don’t need it...

But I kinda want it.

I don’t see anything egregious. Video in the listing only shows 1 of 27 speeds, but the overall condition as shown, strikes me as used, not abused.

Please discuss

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Unless you have a specific series of jobs that require a taper attachment I wouldn't worry too much about there not being one. I'd much rather have a fixed steady for instance.

Regards Tyrone.

Unless you have a specific series of jobs that require a taper attachment I wouldn't worry too much about there not being one. I'd much rather have a fixed steady for instance.

Regards Tyrone.

+ another on that - gotta be 10 years since I used the TA, ..............handy and nice to have, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Since you already have one, I'd probably wait. I've seen the newer, sexier versions go for $2,000. This one has definitely seen some miles. These older ones don't have hard ways.

If you want a project, Mohawk has a Hustler that is also American Tool and a hell of a stout, nice (cnc) lathe. 3,000 rpm, too. Service guys claimed that was their best lathe. Betcha fifty cents you could steal it, if you waved some cash.

I have a lathe. It’s nothing special, but it runs 40-2000 RPM, has tooling and is quite frankly more accurate than most of my requirements. It does everything I need a lathe to do. It’s got a DRO...

It doesn’t have that much soul.

There’s American-made and there’s AMERICAN!!!

From the eBay pics:
5c6088dfc462d4e3e0e8fe64301ca1eb.jpg

676b3d79a57827ba1de651b125da899c.jpg

Medium-speed/1500 RPM model. Ad says it doesn’t come with the tool post, doesn’t mention the center. 10” three-jaw, 12” four-jaw.

Biggest Con is no taper attachment.

I imagine the the tail-stock is MT4. I’ll have to buy some MT3-4 adaptor sleeves.

I have a spare Dorian BXA tool-post and lots of BXA holders. BXA is likely a little bit small, but as with the tail-stock, I can make this machine work, straightaway, albeit maybe not to its FULL potential.

I really don’t need two lathes.

But this one doesn’t look like much of a project.

The lathe isn’t free... it’s 150+/- miles from me... probably 12-16 hours time and $2500 all told to go get it.

I don’t need it...

But I kinda want it.

I don’t see anything egregious. Video in the listing only shows 1 of 27 speeds, but the overall condition as shown, strikes me as used, not abused.

Please discuss

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Space. All headstock, not much bed! Slow, too.

Mass and inertia: Small work fits. They have nice feel. But too big a lathe on too small a part can be a PITA.

Power: 'nuf said.

I'd tip me hat to their loyal service in their era ... and keep looking.

As one long-ago next-higher put it about the time I was at risk of going complacent:

" All well and good, but what have you done for me LATELY!"

:D

I had been looking at this one as well. Besides the no T/A, the chip catching portion of the base is broken at least on the front side. Not sure if the pieces are around. I was guessing it was hit by a forklift. Another fella here thought it was busted from lifting through base with straps.

You have an advantage of being within a couple hours drive. Might take a ride, put an eyeball on ways and such.

Serial like so- as can be seen here - on VERTICAL front face of front way. Last two digits date it. Anything after about '47 will have hardened and ground outer vee ways - which can be PLAINLY seen by looking at right end of bed

ATW Serial Location.jpg

Check out Bulletins 16 , 17 and 20 here - a big thank you to Greg Menke

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/index.html

Have Fun

ON EDIT

Add view of tool steel way in later edition of Bul. 16

20200828_085415.jpg

Last edited:
The ad does mention a steady-rest, though as Thermite mentioned, there’s scarcely enough bed to require one. Especially as not much worth talking about is going through the head-stock.

Agreed that a taper attachment isn’t required... not having one is a big con... if only because I would have two lathes and figure one should have one.

In the listing there’s a better picture of the speed control plate. You can still make out all the speeds from that view, but the paint that remains is faint.

I wasn’t aware that the earlier versions didn’t have hardened ways, that would definitely be a deal breaker. I’ll arm myself with that knowledge before making the trip no matter.

I guess the question becomes do I drive a fuel-efficient vehicle, cash in pocket or bite the bullet and tow a trailer to go examine it?

Or just pass hard and keep looking for something big and American that runs a little faster?

Problem is I’m in the heart of the “agri-business” south and machine tools period are scarce. What few there are typically bring a premium just by dint of existence that match the price of this machine.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

On pc scroll down, on phone click item description. It has 6" steadt rest, on floor in pic too. 10" 3 jaw, and 12" 4 jaw.

This was 1 of 4 lathes I was considering pretty hard, but settled on a Monarch 61. Get lots of pics, even if you don't buy :D. I'd be real curious. I wont have to live with unanswered questions. :D

From the picture it looks like worth going to see in person, but in a car.
If you go with a truck and trailer and if the price is negotiable then they already know you're pretty serious about it. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that needs to be gone yesterday where having truck and trailer can be a bargaining advantage.

In any case be prepared for a project. It might yet be a great machine but it is also old and will certainly need some fixing, oil change, and cleaning if nothing else. Don't underestimate the time that will take.
Understand your goals and standards. It is likely already running, you could continue to run it but at the danger of further damaging something that might need more immediate attention.

I wasn’t aware that the earlier versions didn’t have hardened ways, that would definitely be a deal breaker. I’ll arm myself with that knowledge before making the trip no matter.
Not my area of expetise but I think they WERE hardened - the usual chilled or flame-hardened cast iron.

That LATER they went to better-yet inserted tool-steel ways.

I could be wrong, etc.

Sounds to me like it's not really the machine you're looking for, and as you're not stuck for a lathe - pass, ............and given time, something better will come along.

There is video of the machine running on the eBay posting... only one speed. I absolutely will not buy if I can not run the machine in all speeds, etc.

Changing oil and cleaning counts as maintenance to me... anything beyond is project territory and I’m not looking for a project.

As noted, I have a lathe, I’m happy with it, it does what I need...

I really like turning, and have since I got hands on a lathe the very first time at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn.

I aspire to a big, post-war, American-made machine. Ultimate would be a tooled-up Lodge & Shipley AVS or Power-Turn with the 2000 RPM ceiling. Second would be a Pacemaker, again, ideally one that ran up to 2k. Preferably with taper-attachment. Whether I use it often or never, I’d definitely never use it if the machine doesn’t have it.
I’m not opposed to a Monarch, but I have yet to see a Monarch for sale that runs anywhere close to 2k RPM.

While this pacemaker is only the medium speed unit, I figured it’s stiff enough to still make use of carbide tooling by taking heavier cuts, while not running as fast.

At this point my plan is to take the advice offered here, at the least you guys have all helped bring my feet back to earth and slowed my desire to part with my money.

I’m gonna ask for some more pictures. Specifically of the serial number and some of the damage you guys have noted. I’ll post them back here for some more advice from the community. If it still looks promising, despite some of the obvious shortcomings I’ll head up with cash, in a vehicle that gets better than 20-mpg and no trailer.

Time is money, and I’m not looking to making the 300-mile round trip twice in only a few days, but so be it.

No matter what, I’ll keep adding information for the other users that expressed interest in this particular machine.

Unless someone has a machine closer to what I’ve admitted to lusting after they’re willing to part with.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Hustler runs 3,000, big thru-hole, hardened and ground replaceable ways, gettys drives, a real operator's station, unless you go to a uniturn you won't find a nicer flatbed lathe.

Just sayin' ... :D

Post up some listings for these machines, why don't ya' ?

I appreciate the advice about the Hustler... and such a machine would be great if my needs were slightly different.

The speed and spindle through-hole are definitely appealing... losing the user-interface and ultimately gaining the need to justify, no matter how limited, owning a CNC machine aren’t appealing to me at all.

Having my shop and tools has never been intended as a money-making proposition. I don’t say that to sound arrogant, but I make good money and enjoy the work at my day job and can afford to maintain the shop I desire as a result. I can afford the $2500 to have a cool piece of history. I’ll use the machine periodically... but no matter what, I don’t seek to make partS. I want to make A part... then look at (potentially) two lathes gathering dust... then make another part.

The 1500-RPM top-end isn’t a deal-breaker. As noted, I’ll take a heavier cut and use this for the bigger pieces my Clausing 13” x 40” won’t swing.

But also as noted, I absolutely don’t want a project. I expect to have to clean and change fluids on anything I was to buy... no matter how clean or well-maintained any machine appears.

I’m working on going to see the machine in person. Maybe as soon as by the end of the week. I’m trying to get some assurances out of the seller that the machine won’t be sold out from underneath me.

The last thing I want is to make the 150-mile trip to learn the machine was just sold.

I’ll let everyone know what I think from there. And take some better pictures to post here.

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Jeremy

Back