What's new
What's new

Parting out B&S #1 Mill - Step pulley, OC gear box, Universal

maynah

Stainless
I have the parts not shown in the pictures, over arm, gearbox, motor drive.
Let me know if any parts are needed.
The drive bolts on to the side of the machine over the name plate. (see 4 bolts)

Attachments

• IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 162
The parts circled would be nice to have.

Tray, ball oiler plugs(two), oil spigot on back, two draw bar brackets, two screw lock levers on knee gib.

Rob

Attachments

• BS1_LI (2).jpg
    BS1_LI (2).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 110
Parting out B&S #1 Mill - Step pulley, OC gear box, Universal

Let me know if any parts are needed.

Jeff,

The universal table could find a new home on my Alzmetall AB5/S if it dasn't break the bank to get it here.

No, not for milling.

Positioning. For ignorant round holes. Straight down.

Shade-tree jig-bore whimper-imitator, rather than milling side-thrust.

[email protected]

Bill Hacker

Rob and Bill, PM and email on the way tomorrow.
I need to check some dimensions.

I'm "guessing", but table, tee-slots DOWN flat-to, and even then aligned diagonally to get at least the lesser pallet dimension below 48", if not both. I don't need the knee support, but it might be faster to ship intact. Cost to here is not trivial to begin with, but it isn't that much extra mass vs the table and the other two axes.

"We'll see." All that 10EE part-out stuff we trafficed in a while back arrived undamaged, so I'm game.

Bill

Both pulleys are available.
I don't know if they would fit a #2.
Let me know if you want some dimensions.
They would be fairly heavy.
The countershaft/motor bolts to the side of the mill about 2 feet above it.

Both pulleys are available.
I don't know if they would fit a #2.
Let me know if you want some dimensions.
They would be fairly heavy.
The countershaft/motor bolts to the side of the mill about 2 feet above it.

At the least, I might be able to adapt the pulleys. Do you have the shaft diameters? I wouldn't be able to pick them up so shipping would be my only option.

How was the counter-shaft mounted originally? Was it always on the side of the mill or was it adapted from an overhead set-up? I'm trying to convert my #12 back to being an overhead machine as there are no great places to hang a motor on it, but I'm missing all the original pieces to do so.
B$S #12 cat.jpg

Flatbelt, tray is sold.
MB Naegle, the drive is a aftermarket add-on.
See the holes drilled and tapped into the B&S info spot.
It's heavy, must weigh 150 or 200 lbs.
In my picture it's upside down.
Also the large maybe 2 ft. diameter vee pulley powered by the motor is removed from the cone pulley shaft in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3390.jpg
    IMG_3390.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 67
Flatbelt, tray is sold.
MB Naegle, the drive is a aftermarket add-on.
See the holes drilled and tapped into the B&S info spot.
It's heavy, must weigh 150 or 200 lbs.
In my picture it's upside down.
Also the large maybe 2 ft. diameter vee pulley powered by the motor is removed from the cone pulley shaft in the picture.

I see. The jack shaft assembly won't work for mine. The pulley's look smaller, but they could work, If no one takes the assembly.

I see. The jack shaft assembly won't work for mine. The pulley's look smaller, but they could work, If no one takes the assembly.

Might want to double check that. It's about as close to a "kit" with everything you need in one go as such things get.

PolyVee belts, soft ribs inward, not even grooves in the sheave, can deliver as much power to 1/2 or 3/4 the face-width of a cone pulley as leather did, full-width. CI pulleys are usually webbed, not solid, inside, but even so, shaft size changes or MODEST boring operation, stuff can be adapted with fair-simple work. Too-small cones? Machine the crowned shape back to straight cylinder, fab then shrink-on a "tire" of arbitrary OD, clean it up afterwards, even groove it.

2CW

Might want to double check that. It's about as close to a "kit" with everything you need in one go as such things get.

PolyVee belts, soft ribs inward, not even grooves in the sheave, can deliver as much power to 1/2 or 3/4 the face-width of a cone pulley as leather did, full-width. CI pulleys are usually webbed, not solid, inside, but even so, shaft size changes or MODEST boring operation, stuff can be adapted with fair-simple work. Too-small cones? Machine the crowned shape back to straight cylinder, fab then shrink-on a "tire" of arbitrary OD, clean it up afterwards, even groove it.

2CW
The assembly would't be able to bolt to the machine (at least not well) as there's too many curves, moving parts, chip tray, etc. When we got it, it had a single speed V-belt with a heavy motor on a crude welded bracket hanging off of a couple of 3/8" hex bolts that were 3" apart. My plan was to mount the machine on a sturdy skid with framework behind and above it that an original style countershaft could hang from.

It's the same issues I ran into with my Cincinnati Tool & Cutter Grinder. Everywhere I tried to put an aftermarket motor configuration would be in the way of some set-up or function, so I figure why fight it, just go back to how it was made to run.

In both cases, I can fabricate clutches and hangers as needed and make laminate wood pulleys if that's what it comes down to.

The assembly would't be able to bolt to the machine (at least not well) as there's too many curves, moving parts, chip tray, etc.

Standard-issue number ONE challenge, a hundred years and more arredy.

Standard response number ONE is strategically selected points, spot face operation, drill & tap, fab cylindrical stand-offs to support a spaced-out plate aligned ON those stand-offs any way it has to BE aligned.

Typically takes but four such fasteners to aside the plate and everything ON it, however complex that structure may need to be in its own right.

If there is a compelling reason, such as frequent access? One can even "hinge" the whole shebang like a vault door.

We be "Machinists" yah? Tool-making animals. Problem SOLVERS, not problem GENERATORS.
Leave THAT part to "ingin ears". And bats**t daft clients.

:)

M.B. Naegle,
Original cone pulleys for the number 12 were three step.
I have the dimensions if you want them.
John

Attachments

• Brown & Sharpe 12 001.jpg
    Brown & Sharpe 12 001.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Brown & Sharpe 12 005.jpg
    Brown & Sharpe 12 005.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 70
maynah,
Right side table handwheel and the drive gear for the inner ring.
Elevating handwheel and the shaft. Bent on my #2 circa 1918.
John

maynah,
Right side table handwheel and the drive gear for the inner ring.
Right-side handwheel, I can sub something else so you can have an original. Same again, "balanced" lever, opposite end, if you need that as well.

Drive gear, shaft, mini-crank handle for the universal table's angle-setting I need with the rest of the whole table, both of the X-Y (plus rotation) top two-axes & mounts down thru swivel plate, "female" dovetail & gib for the axis under it.

Not overly fussed either way as to "in-out" leadscrew, nut, shaft, bearings, or handwheel.
Fair certain I'll have to got about all that in a slightly different manner than OEM in any case.

Already told Jeff I'd stand aside, anyone doing a genuine B&S restoration wants the ENTIRE table and all its bits.

Not fair to him to cherry-pick small parts, only, tear-down labour, and leave him with a coupla hundred pounds of thence un-wanted scrap iron and no significant cash.

I'm sure we can cooperate on that, win-win all around.

Elevating handwheel and the shaft. Bent on my #2 circa 1918.
John

Knee UNDER the universal "in-out" axis I don't need any of. Not even the "male" dovetail for in-out.

No collision on any parts of the elevation axis, "knee" casting, its gib, locks, screw, cranks atall.

Bill, I think you want to keep the right side handwheel as it's part of the gear train.
I'll send it with the table to Bill and he can sell it if he wants to.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 53

Back