What's new
What's new

perforating machine

Marty Feldman

Titanium
Another lots-to-look-at from Shorpy. This one is from 1938, US Bureau of Engraving & Printing. The machine produces the perforations on sheets of stamps.

SHORPY-8b14735a.preview.jpg

-Marty-

What's the deal with the funny shaped hats? is that to keep the little "dots" from getting in the hair?

I figured as such, much like when working in a pressroom, the guys would always make a hat from the paper.

I figured as such, much like when working in a pressroom, the guys would always make a hat from the paper.

That's correct from what I have read. Many pressroom guys would apparently knock out a fresh one each morning, from newsprint or any old paper source around. They were often box-shaped, unlike the cone shapes seen in the photograph.

-Marty-

I have a friend who is an artist who has been making his own (non-US Mail) stamps for over 40 years now, and he has an antique one row perforating machine- it has stops, but to perforate a whole sheet of stamps, you need to use it a dozen or more times- once for each vertical row, once for each horizontal row. But it works.

Back