What's new
What's new

...Photo...Hall Scott Engine Factory...

lathefan

Titanium
...looks like John Belushi left of center there...

...didn't know Hall Scott had overhead cams...

hall-scott-factory.jpg

Hall Scott's principal (Elbert John Hall) was the other half of the Packard team (Jesse Vincent) that came up with the Liberty engine for WW1

The WW2 Hall Scott V12 marine engines were very common here ,as they were used in our "poor mans" torpedo boat.....2500cu in ,as opposed to the Packards 3500cu in....The navy sold the last of them when they cleared out of Randwick in the 1980s .....new motors went for scrap.....and yes ,all the truck and boat motors (big ones anyway) were OHC ..the smaller boat motors were flathead.

..didn't know Hall Scott had overhead cams...

Another great photo, thanks.

It appears in the book "Hall-Scott: The Untold Story of a Great American Engine Maker by Francis Bradford and Ric Dias.

It apparently shows an A-5 aero engine which was introduced in 1915, the first of Hall-Scott's OHC designs. All Hall-Scott engines after this used OHC.

The A-5 displaced 825 cubic inches, 5" x 7" bore and stroke. 525 lbs, 125 hp.

There are a couple of the 4-cylinder variant of this engine (one is an A-7A, not sure about the other) in a museum not far from me, I think they were quite a popular engine. The four cylinder engines were among the first, if not the first, to use aluminium pistons in an aero engine in the USA. Very poor photos, sorry.

I read that around 1000 A-7A engines were manufactured by Nordyke & Marmon during WW1.

motat-hall-scott 02 edit.jpg motat-hall-scott-A-7-A edit.jpg

pics of my Bay City 30 ton crane
Hall Scott 935 in carrier--muscular for petrol spark ignited but no where near
reliability of diesel

YouTube

Attachments

• TOOLS10001C.jpg
    TOOLS10001C.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 105
  • TOOLS10001A.jpg
    TOOLS10001A.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 120