What's new
What's new

...Photo...Machine Tool Delivery...

lathefan

Titanium
...by horses and wagon...Gisholt turret lathe being unloaded...unable to find where this took place...

...click on photo for full size...

Germany!? Wow.

There used to be quite a few industrial/manufacturing buildings here in Indiana, and the Midwest in general, that were covered in limestone due to its abundance, although most were of the usual brick and steel.

My second guess would have been in England somewhere.

Germany!? Wow.

That would have been a good guess - prior to 1914 there were many blood ties between the German and British Royal families, and the two countries were very big trading partners, going back to the Hanseatic League

Hereditary etc footnote ;-

Since 1917, when King George V changed the name of the royal house from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, members of the royal family belong, either by birth or by marriage, to the House of Windsor.

Makes me think in many cases in big cities the industrial & commercial buildings had a sameness about them whether it was in Europe or over the pond, In my young days in Glasgow there was still some machine tool & tool dealers still on the go in the city centre One comes to mind having a dealership office in a large commercial building, right in the middle of the city,That firm was Stuart Galtona I used to drool at the big cutters in the window.
Athers which also spring to mind was the office of The Worthington Pump Co, At one time I am led to believe they had a nice little model of a horizontal duplex steam pump, But in my day they had moved over to the Eglinton Street area of the city, I used to go in and speak with the manager, An ex Marine engineer , A really decent soul, I cannot remember when they vanished, After one gets married and along comes the kids, when you get back to your old haunts, time's have moved on & many firms have changed direction,

Down in robertson St was a whole street of engineering merchants, A few millwrights with countershaft brackets & bearings in their windows, One little shop was an Asbestos merchant with all sorts of asbestos products in the window, What Hazhards, None Here!!!

Somewhere I have seen an illustration of Schuchert &Schutte's showroom , It was awesome the range of machine tools on offer.

Germany!? Wow.

There used to be quite a few industrial/manufacturing buildings here in Indiana, and the Midwest in general, that were covered in limestone due to its abundance, although most were of the usual brick and steel.

German uniforms were the big give away!

German uniforms were the big give away!

Couldn't see the uniforms. For some reason, my antiquated PC will not open the expandable version of the photo. Clicking the image only brings up the same size pic. in a new tab. Unfortunately, all of lathefan's photos he has posted in other threads operate the same way.

Couldn't see the uniforms. For some reason, my antiquated PC will not open the expandable version of the photo. Clicking the image only brings up the same size pic. in a new tab. Unfortunately, all of lathefan's photos he has posted in other threads operate the same way.

...that's my fault...to prevent eye strain I've been running my web page view at 150%...which sometimes makes the large picture I think I.m linking to...actually the same size or smaller...I'll try to amend my ways...click the link below for the big picture...

CLICK HERE

Thank you lathefan.

Your posts are always interesting and informative, and generate great discussion. Thought provoking comes to mind.

I wonder what type of brake those heavy wagons were outfitted with, if any. Hauling those heavy machines down even a slight hill seems like they would over run the horses in short order.

Stuart

I wonder what type of brake those heavy wagons were outfitted with, if any. Hauling those heavy machines down even a slight hill seems like they would over run the horses in short order.

Stuart

In the big photo on Tonys site you can see the brake shoes, I don't know about the US or Germany, but over here on steep hills the old waggoners used skidpans like these

https://grahamlesliemccallum.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/skidpan-remskoen-wagon-2.jpg
https://grahamlesliemccallum.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/skidpan-remskoen-wagon.jpg

FYI the hoop was chained to the wagon chassis and the wheel rolled on to the skid pan like so https://grahamlesliemccallum.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/wagon-1811.jpg

Back