What's new
What's new

...Photo...Machinist Mustache...

lathefan

Titanium
...nice definition in this old photo...

5884d8023ad9e291cd320f445762613b.jpg

Lathefan:

Thanks for posting this picture. It is another picture I relate to quite well. I've worn a mustache since 1970, and is has been a handlebar mustache since about 1975. On special occasions, I wax my mustache. For the most part, it is- to a lesser extent- somewhat like the machinist in the photo is wearing.

I remember a few years ago, my family attended a wedding. I was wearing my "good suit" (read: my only suit), and had waxed my mustache and twirled the ends for the occasion. My wife claims I tend to never really smile and "show some teeth". As per the usual for these sorts of events, I was being asked to pose for what seemed endless photographs. Ever since digital photography with phones took over, it seems like no event can pass without people insisting on endless pictures, to my chagrin. Our son was on hand, and when he saw me with my waxed mustache and usual serious expression, his remark was: "You look like you just signed a treaty with some South American country.."

My wife has never seen me without a mustache, nor have our children. I suppose wearing a handlebar mustache and wearing a Hamilton railroad pocketwatch every day go with the old-timer in me.

Between your posting the picture of the apprentice boy with the beer pails, and this one of the machinist with his white mustache, you have captured the early stages and present stages of my life. Like the machinist in the photo, while my hair on top is still brown, shot with some silver-gray, my mustache is showing a good deal of silver gray amidst the redder whiskers. I joke that I am like an old dog at this point, going gray at the muzzle.

Lathefan:

Thanks for posting this picture. It is another picture I relate to quite well. I've worn a mustache since 1970, and is has been a handlebar mustache since about 1975. On special occasions, I wax my mustache. For the most part, it is- to a lesser extent- somewhat like the machinist in the photo is wearing.

I remember a few years ago, my family attended a wedding. I was wearing my "good suit" (read: my only suit), and had waxed my mustache and twirled the ends for the occasion. My wife claims I tend to never really smile and "show some teeth". As per the usual for these sorts of events, I was being asked to pose for what seemed endless photographs. Ever since digital photography with phones took over, it seems like no event can pass without people insisting on endless pictures, to my chagrin. Our son was on hand, and when he saw me with my waxed mustache and usual serious expression, his remark was: "You look like you just signed a treaty with some South American country.."

My wife has never seen me without a mustache, nor have our children. I suppose wearing a handlebar mustache and wearing a Hamilton railroad pocketwatch every day go with the old-timer in me.

Between your posting the picture of the apprentice boy with the beer pails, and this one of the machinist with his white mustache, you have captured the early stages and present stages of my life. Like the machinist in the photo, while my hair on top is still brown, shot with some silver-gray, my mustache is showing a good deal of silver gray amidst the redder whiskers. I joke that I am like an old dog at this point, going gray at the muzzle.

...my wife of going on 43 years has never seen me without a mustache either...it became a full beard many years ago...

...I too own some Hamilton pocket watches...a 940 is my favorite railroad grade...also have a 992...and two or three other non-railroad grade Hamiltons...

...have railroad grade watches from several other manufacturers...South Bend...Rockford...Hampden...Waltham...Elgin...probably some others I have forgotten...oldest is an Elgin B. W. Raymond model from 1877...still keeps good time...

I've worn a mustache since 1970,

My wife has never seen me without a mustache, nor have our children.

LOL! Since '67.. and then full beard for years.. with one long break..

I kept the 'stache, shaved the beard. Next morning, my PA of several years entered the office, looked shocked, looked, looked again... finally, instead of saying I had shaved the beard said:

"I know what it is! You've grown a mustache!"

So much for thinking our colleagues even notice what we look like!

Wife on the other hand, the rare time I shaved BOTH, just kept walking around me looking.. and looking and.. finally I said:

"What is it? I thought you told me that to a Chinese, all Gweilo looked alike?"

"Well.. MY one looks ten years younger, now.."

Oh, well....

:(

I've had facial hair since high school. Only time it got shaved off was when we bought our house, and I wanted to
insulate the attic floor. Given this is an 1895 house the spaces between the joints was full of all kinds of fine
dust and nutshells from animals who had lived up there at one time. So a full face respirator was called for.

1) my daughter (less than a year old at the time) was deeply concerned that her dad had mutated.

2) After having a beard for that long, shaving it off made me realize just how active the nerve endings on my face
were. I could barely put my head on a pillow that night.

.. shaving it off made me realize just how active the nerve endings on my face were.

Taking mine off just reveals how badly Dioxin messed up the skin.

Only razor I can tolerate was invented by an Afro-American. Called the "bump fighter" it has a sort of stand-off comb/rake arrangement so a "close shave" is actually what they used to call "five o'clock shadow", if even THAT "close".

Full beard is far easier on the skin.

And critters around me.

Mirrors and cameras don't wear-out as fast, either.

:D

Last edited:
When I got out of the USAF in 1982, having had to scrape my face twice a day if I was working in "public" areas due to a 5 o'clock shadow that looks like I've put my face in a mud puddle, I resolved never to shave again. I've been fairly true to that pledge, although I do occasionally (about once or twice a year) clean up my cheeks and neck with a razor. I keep the mustache consistently trimmed above my lip with scissors, as I do not like a soup strainer, but wait until the beard is definitely too long before taking off about 2", again with scissors.

It's not just salt-and-pepper any more, but pretty much white with an underlayer of dark brown.

I don't get the whole "have a beard/mustache for 20 years". Once upon a time I had a goatee for about 10 straight years. I shaved it off one day and looked so rediculous I swore I'd never keep one facial style so long again. Now I alternate between full beard, goatee, mustache, handlebar mustache, and what I call "the amish" (beard with no mustache :)) and occasionally clean shaven.

No, Bill. I was introduced to soap a few years ago, and use it daily.

Soap - and our local 'hard' water - create problems here, down in the roots of a beard.

Aloe lotion as "solvent", then "Aussie Mega" - a shampoo/body wash combo - for me.

Now and then, I have had to use a waterless hand cleaner to get paint or grease out. "You know shops...".. and auto brake & suspension work, out, under, and up into wheel wells..!

:D

"Meanwhile, back at the cold-face".

Upgrade your homemade coronavirus face mask by adding this basic clothing item | Fox News

Just emailed the Wife. Post 'em here rather than laundering 'em.

Helps to have a reminder of what it is we are FIGHTING this "invisible war" FOR, yah?

Back