What's new
What's new

...Photo...Rosie the Riveter at the Shop Sink...

lathefan

Titanium
Sperry-Gyroscope-woman-1942-overalls-works.jpg

at my very first job in the "Big" plant, I had to take a piss, but I couldn't figure out if those things were urinals. I finally decided that having a bunch of guys standing around in a circle watching each other pee would be a little creepy so I figured it must be a sink.

How to clean a circular sink. As taught to me by the predecessor in the job.

1. Run the water for a few seconds and get the entire bowl wet.
2. Stop the water and let the puddle in the bottom drain out.
3. Spray the inside of the sink with the magic spray bottle - no more than 10 squeezes of the trigger for the entire sink.
4. Upend the entire waste paper basket into the sink.
5. Take a healthy handful of paper towels in hand - and start turning circle.
6. Do about 10 circles around.
7. Put the paper towels back into the plastic bag which lined the trash can.
8. Run the water for perhaps 3 seconds.
9. Using the cleanest of the dirty paper towels remaining - wipe out any water spots working from center to edge and up the sides.

9 steps from dirty to clean.

Get it right.

Joe in NH

at my very first job in the "Big" plant, I had to take a piss, but I couldn't figure out if those things were urinals. I finally decided that having a bunch of guys standing around in a circle watching each other pee would be a little creepy so I figured it must be a sink.

Hah! True story:

Cub scouts - later on you graduate to webelos which is cub scouts Sr, we had a scout leader who worked for Bethelhem Steel. So we go on a field trip to Bethelhem.
Bucket of giant plate punch-outs, we can only take one. Bucket of turbine blades. We can take zero of those!

Time to go home, it's a long drive. Everyone go to the bathroom, it's over there.

A dozen 10 year olds go in there, there's a round stone widget in the middle of the room. ???? what the heck. We're about to start peeing in it, when there's
a shift change, men troop in and start washing up. There was another room behind the room with the toilets and so on. Oh. I wonder what would have
happened if the shift change had been about a minute later.

Oh. The plate punch outs, these were over one inch diameter rivet holes punched out of half inch steel plate. The inside edges were razor-sharp.
I discovered if your classmate left his books on the cafeteria table you could use that to bore a neat hole all the way though his textbook pages.

They sent a coworker of mine to Saudi Arabia and he sees what he thinks is a urinal so he starts unzipping when someone comes running up to him and frantically stops him. Turns out he almost pissed in the holy foot washing station that the guys use to wash their feet to prior to preying. I am not 100% sure if it happened exactly like that but still makes for a funny story.

Oops! My Bad.

Back