What's new
What's new

Re-home-ing my B&S #2 plain horizontal

kd1yt

Cast Iron
Hope this meets acceptable terms of use here. I have an approximately 1920 Brown & Sharpe #2 Horizontal milling machine that was given to me several years ago out of the estate of a professional machinist. He'd acquired it from a dealer 20+ years earlier and it had been an eventual project of his- to refurb and use- that never made it to the front of the line.

I've got my own case of 'too many projects, not enough time,' and, with recent acquisition of a VanNorman that can do everything that this B&S would be able to do, and more, I am also now short on space. This was going to go to a friend of mine but he has concluded that he, too, is not in a position to handle it right now.

Long story sort of short, I am looking to find the B&S a home where it stands a strong chance of being used and preserved, rather than junked and melted down. It's far from state-of-the-art but all signs are that it is 'all there' and with seemingly little wear and tear (minimum apparent backlash on leadscrews)

As photos show, it has the horizontal arbor, with spacers, and with front support, and I have a bunch of horizontale cutters that can go with it.

It also has all of the parts for an electric drive, with a GE 2hp motor and a 4-speed 'Drive-All' gearbox, all on its own multi-adjustable sub-frame to mount on top of the mill.. The mount casting that perches the drive assembly on top of the mill is cracked, but it wouldn't be terribly hard to fabricate another mounting arrangement.

B&S no 2 - 1.jpgB&S no 2 - 2.jpgB&S no 2  - 3.jpgB&S no 2 - 4.jpgB&S no 2 - 5.jpg

Price = free, as long as you convince me that (a) you have the skill, time, and drive to get it working and make use of it; and (b) you have the ability and follow-through to come get it in the near future. I am hoping that the population here may include someone who may be interested and I prefer to avoid the parade of Craigslist tire-kickers with want-a-Bridgeport-itis.

Currently it is well oiled and outdoors under a heavy tarp; the drive arrangement is covered with a bin to keep weather off.

The machine has a scarce and desirable vertical/ multi angle sub-head. If someone really convinces me that they're seriously into this thing and will use it and not part it out, that is part of the package, although I may want to hang onto the sub-head until the new owner demonstrates that the machine is really in-use (I can use the sub-head on something else, and I really don't want to see the machine junked and then the sub-head on ebay).

Machine is in Vermont, just outside the capital of Montpelier, and 15 minutes off of I-89. Machine weighs about 5,500 pounds and is on beveled-end wood skids that could be winched onto a trailer. or a tilt-back car carrier (how I got it here)

If interested, please get in touch with me via the contact methods here on the forum

Such a deal. Not even buried in a basement.
I have a #2 universal from 1918.

Looks like the coolant pump mounted on the back driven by a motor.
Don't see the feed kickout rod for the knee when it trips the stops on the column.
There are plates on the right front side of the knee where the control levers would be.
Is this a modification or a design change by B&S?
The circular handle on the right side of the table has two speed ranges. One is same as the table screw motion. The second is rapid travel by hand power.
Here is a photo of a #1 that shows the feed controls.
B&S No 1 Universal.jpg
And the control unit off my mill.
B & S # 2 Feed Control 1S.jpgB & S # 2 Feed Control 2S.jpg
John

Ive just got to say you listed it better than the vast majority that are trying to sell something like that. Know of a lathe that I like and they barely even know what they have. Crappy photos too!!

Pleasantly surprised at the significant levels of interest, from motivated new potential owners, that I received on Craigslist. The mill went home with its new owner, in Burlington, VT, on Tuesday. Slightly bittersweet to see it go, but mostly sweet to see it going to an enthusiastic new owner who is motivated to clean it up and put it to work.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

IMG_20171121_160714 (1).jpg

Back