Photo...Warner & Swasey Turret Lathe at Work...Vahl Inc... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdleach View Post
    Thanks for posting the Smart and Brown Limy, that is a manufacturer I have not heard of before. Your post prompted me to go to the lathes.uk site to read about them. .
    At the risk of going off topic, go back to Tonys S&B page and read up on the 1024 toolroom lathe -IMO that is one hell of a nice machine, IIRC I've only ever used 2 and for a short job, but despite being ''well used'' bot were still very good lathes.

P.S. I've only run the fixed speeds, but th varispeed I heard and saw running seemed noisy and kinda spoiled the overall effect.

1024 link http://www.lathes.co.uk/smartbrown/page5.html

2. Likes jdleach, lathefan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Using the ram and slide tool holder to cut a key way.Cutting a keyway on a lathe - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lathefan View Post
    ...that
    in the pic, sticking out at top clockwise from the active position onthe turret is a knee tool, then one I can't see, then a drill holder, possibly a reamer holder, what may be a die holder or threading tool, maybe a box turning tool, can't see. the active position may be a stock stop. There are front and rear tool positions on the lever crosslide, maybe a chamfer and a cutoff but no tools in them.

The knee tool could have a spotting drill in it also, to set up for the drilling operation.

Did those rotate the turret counterclockwise? The tools don't seem right otherwise.

5. Likes Greg Menke, Limy Sami, lathefan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just been out and checked - mine rotates CCW so the tool order in the pic is right, BUT, & its BIG BUT I know S&B rang the changes according to model of turret slides, customer demand etc etc etc.

7. Likes lathefan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems S&B offered some variations using dead-length collets- great feature. That prismatic guide way is cool, I wonder what is the win compared to the trapezoidal form so often seen of this type of machine. I like the compact base a lot, my wade is a similar capacity machine but the base takes a lot more room.

9. Likes lathefan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rustytool View Post
    Using the ram and slide tool holder to cut a key way.Cutting a keyway on a lathe - YouTube
    Thats really nice, thanks for giving us the link. Wonder what make of lathe that is ?

Thanks
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what make it is. Not sure if they do either.
    But here's another video of it running.Machining on a old turret lathe - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rustytool View Post
    I don't know what make it is. Not sure if they do either.
    But here's another video of it running.Machining on a old turret lathe - YouTube
    I think it's a Jones and Lamson - stop the vid at 1.41, and at about spindle height on the LH end of the headstock you will see a plate, I stopped the vid and went full screen, and I'm sure that's J&L - Jones and Lamson.

This pic shows the same speed control handle etc and badge, but not the rapids built in to the turret capstan. http://www.interplantsales.com/image...0Lathe%201.JPG

P.S. That keyway is being cut using the turret rapids.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdleach View Post
    This is another machine I would like to run and own. Turret lathes have always fascinated me. I have all the parts and pieces to convert my little Logan 820 to a turret lathe, but it would of course not be anywhere near in the league of a WS.
    Same here. In many ways turret is more versatile than a tailstock even for a single tool. At one time (in the days when had lots of time and little money...) I made a miniature turret attachment for my Rivett 1R lathe. It was very handy when making short runs of small bronze bushings for dental drills.