What's new
What's new

Photobucket at it again, going to blur photo 6/1

rivett608

Diamond
Hi all,

Got a email from photobucket that as of June 1 they are going to blur all photos in free accounts that take up to much band width, that would be mine. This is of course unless I pay them which is highly unlikely.

So, should want to copy any of the photos I or anyone else using them has posted now would be a good time. At least this time we got a warning.

Wish I had done that. Have a couple PB accounts with 1000s of pictures.

They are all backed up so I don’t loose anything, it is just all the viewers loose the ability to see them.

My impression was that they would blur the served photo, but that the viewer could see it clear if they clicked on a link and actually went to the PB site. They get money from ads if people actually go there, but not from served pics, so it makes sense.

I got an email about it 2 or 3 weeks ago that seemed to say that. We'll see.

I left my account open there just so I would not break every thread I had linked pics in..... costs me nothing to leave it open. I have no intention of ever paying for it. I will never add another pic to it

If the pics are all always blurred, then I may decide to remove some pics, but the 25 mb limit is not very many pics, even at 800 x 600.

Firefox browser has an add-on that defeats the photobucket watermark and blur. I downloaded firerfox from mozilla.org, then in add-ons I searched photobucket and installed the add-on. photos are no longer blurred or watermarked.

They screwed up soo many informative threads on all the forums with the first deletion I quit using them. Thanks for the warning rivett.
I hope they become extinct. Boycott photobucket

I have a free account with Amazon AWS. They have something called S3 for storing files, any kind of files. I keep backups and images there. Once you set the image to be "Public" you can share them on websites with a URL that points into S3. The free version has usage limits but I've never hit them. I have hundreds of images up there.

There's a tool called "S3 Browser" which runs under Windows and makes it very easy to manage the files.

Those blurry photos and the giant watermark ruin the pleasure of reading and researching machines...

It’s probably not for everyone but I ended up paying for a smugmug account. The cheapest plan is $4/month and gives you unlimited storage, and they don’t ever mess with your photos.

and they don’t ever mess with your photos.

After getting burned by Photobucket, I don't trust any of these guys. What you really should say is "they don't mess with your photos at this time" because at one point Photobucket didn't mess with them either.

...because at one point Photobucket didn't mess with them either.

Were you paying for a photobucket account? It’s a very clear agreement as far as I see it. I pay a relatively small amount of money and the terms of my account give me a place to store photos that matter to me – knowing they will always be available and not held hostage for money later. I pay them up front for that certainty. They have a long track record.

Trusting personal data/information to a company that doesn’t charge you to use their services is asking to be let down at some point.

I had a paid Photobucket account. Initially it was great. Post pictures, link pictures. Then they changed it to require flash to access the images. I left before they became more heavy handed. I understand WHY Photobucket is doing it. Everyone needs to pay the rent. I just chose not to support them anymore. Even my free AWS might go away some day. It's only "free" because I haven't hit the usage limits. Once I do, it'll start costing me every month. S3 is simply very cheap or free for hosting images. It just doesn't have the bells and whistles other sites might.

Even your paid account is subject to their whims. If they feel they're not making enough money, they'll change things unilaterally.

Firefox browser has an add-on that defeats the photobucket watermark and blur. I downloaded firerfox from mozilla.org, then in add-ons I searched photobucket and installed the add-on. photos are no longer blurred or watermarked.

Turned out to be a maybe with the add-on. Most - and especially mine - do not open, and if you right click on the non photo you get a box with choices, most of which result in me getting a "forbidden" notice.:D. Other folks' photos may or may not open. Some photos simply are not there in any form

This is all with the very latest issue of Firefox

In Patrick Black's REHAB thread, there is a single PB photo that opens for me - by another member, not Pat, about getting a new belt made - near the end of the thread

Back